Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
AB41; Clearing the shelf of doom
Topic Started: Nov 25 2017, 03:45 AM (516 Views)
dknights
Member Avatar
The court of LAST RESORT!
[ * ]
I know it is early for new year's resolution, but after looking at my pitiful 2017, I am trying to redouble my efforts. As part of those efforts, I am trying to clear my "Shelf of Doom". I haven't counted, but I know there are at least 20+ models in various states of construction.

One of those is an Italeri AB41 Italian armored car. This is a pretty nice, pretty simple kit. While I am not an armor guy, a lot of guys in my club are so I'll be tapping them for help.

Here is where we are.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can I finish before the end of the year? Stay tuned.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: NONE
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40
Revell MiG-21F-13, Ace Citroen V-11
Goto Top

MDriskill
Hero
[ * ]
I'm pullin' for ya!

The AB 41 is, IMHO, actually quite elegant-looking as targets go, I will look forward to following this one.
Goto Top

walrus
Member Avatar
Porco
[ * ]
You can do it Brucie!

The AB41 is on my radar. But I have at least 7 armoured cars and 3 soft skins in various states of completion and plenty more vehicles lining up to follow before I start buying any more.

Of course Sod's Law says it will be OOP by the time I decide I want one :haha:
Paul from Birmingham, UK
Now living in Barnsley.
Goto Top

dixieflyer
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this, especially since it's something from North Africa, the Med, Sicily/Italian Front.

Warren
"History is the lie we all agree upon."
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
dixieflyer
Nov 26 2017, 07:06 PM
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this, especially since it's something from North Africa, the Med, Sicily/Italian Front.

Warren
Doing an overall tan job from Libya.

Going to try playing around with fading paints, etc. Going to use it as a sort of paint mule.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
walrus
Nov 26 2017, 04:06 PM
You can do it Brucie!

The AB41 is on my radar. But I have at least 7 armoured cars and 3 soft skins in various states of completion and plenty more vehicles lining up to follow before I start buying any more.

Of course Sod's Law says it will be OOP by the time I decide I want one :haha:
I am not a big tank guy, but I am fascinated by armored cars and arty.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
OK, here is the latest. The kit is all together (except the wheels which will be added at the end). I've primed it with Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black. Black basing is all the rage lately. Some folks seem to think it was invented in the last few years. However, armor modelers have been black basing for ages. On armor it does make sense as it allows the modeler to use the black to accentuate the natural shadows created by the angular shapes you see in armor.

Posted Image

Posted Image
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Goto Top

Timmay!
Long Live The Twelve
[ * ]
Looking good, David. I have been painting my armor models Black or at the least some dark primer at the start of painting for over thirty years. So yeah it is not new. I find it lends an opaqueness to the model especially in 1/72. Nothing like have a model get some backlighting and suddenly realizing your paint job is translucent. Keep up the good work. Timmay!
Tim Treadway

Everything in a warzone is a target. Don't think so? Stand up.

Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Thanks Tim. I hope to have her in Italian sand this weekend.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
OK, here is an update. Painted, decaled, weathered and flat coated. I just need to get wheels under her and she's done. Don't judge me too harshly as this is the first armor piece I've done in 20 years. I have much to learn. Looks like I'll bei brinnging this one in under the wire in 2017.

Posted Image
Edited by dknights, Dec 23 2017, 04:24 AM.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
OK, almost done. Down to the wire. I should be finished before December 31st so this one will be done in 2017.

Posted Image
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Goto Top

dixieflyer
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Judge you? I think it looks great.

Warren
"History is the lie we all agree upon."
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
OK, this one is done with two days to spare. I'll shoot beauty shots tomorrow or the next day.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The shelf of doom now has one less model on it. Can't remember the last time that happened.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Goto Top

walrus
Member Avatar
Porco
[ * ]
Well done DK
Looks great. _^
Paul from Birmingham, UK
Now living in Barnsley.
Goto Top

MDriskill
Hero
[ * ]
That looks super! Nice paint and weathering.

I’m not sure armor can ever properly be called “pretty,” but in typical Italian fashion I’ve always thought the AB 41 looked a lot better than it needed to! Excellent rendition of a handsome vehicle.
Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · In Progress for groundcraft. · Next Topic »