Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Photography question; Optimal shutter speed?
Topic Started: Dec 28 2017, 04:10 AM (166 Views)
bosco
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Just bought my first DSLR camera, a Nikon D5600. Apparently one can set the shutter speed and the camera's brain selects the proper aperture for that selection. Anybody have any advice for getting optimum depth-of-field pics with this type of system?

Best
Chuck
Goto Top

MDriskill
Hero
[ * ]
If the camera has a pre- set mode for close-up or macro work, try that first. My old Sony DSLR can usually out-think me on this stuff.

Smaller aperture = greater depth of field, so if you're using manual settings, do it the other way around: set the camera on aperture priority, and go for the smallest aperture that will work with the available light.

There will be a limit to how slow a shutter speed you can use without blurring the image, if you are hand-holding the camera, though. You'll need to experiment a bit, which of course is cheap and fast with a digital camera.

Edited by MDriskill, Dec 29 2017, 01:53 PM.
Goto Top

MDriskill
Hero
[ * ]
And I HIGHLY recommend buying this book:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/david-buschs-nikon-d5600-guide-to-digital-slr-photography-david-d-busch/1125212856/2676983708622

This guy is awesome. He has done books like this on most popular DSLRís, and really has a gift for explaining everything you need to know, in plain English. I guarantee it will be ten times more useful than the manual that came with the camera.

Digital photography with a capable camera is a whole new world, it definitely pays to read up and get a little background. Mr. Buschís corresponding book on my Sony is the the best accessory I ever got for it.
Edited by MDriskill, Dec 29 2017, 11:39 AM.
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
The court of LAST RESORT!
[ * ]
If you want to shoot your own models (glamour shots), then get a tripod and a light box. Shoot as recommended above. Set to aperture priority and go to f16 or higher. Use the 2 second shutter delay when shooting.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: NONE
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40
Revell MiG-21F-13, Ace Citroen V-11
Goto Top

MDriskill
Hero
[ * ]
dknights
Dec 28 2017, 07:20 PM
Use the 2 second shutter delay when shooting.
Thatís a great idea! No doubt thatís exactly what that feature is for (i.e., to avoid shaking the camera by pushing the release button with your hand), but it never occurred to me to try it, duhhh.....
Edited by MDriskill, Dec 30 2017, 10:41 PM.
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
The court of LAST RESORT!
[ * ]
MDriskill
Dec 30 2017, 10:39 PM
dknights
Dec 28 2017, 07:20 PM
Use the 2 second shutter delay when shooting.
Thatís a great idea! No doubt thatís exactly what that feature is for (i.e., to avoid shaking the camera by pushing the release button with your hand), but it never occurred to me to try it, duhhh.....
I have a genetic hand tremor. Without that all my photos would be a blur.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: NONE
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40
Revell MiG-21F-13, Ace Citroen V-11
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Hints, Tips, Techniques · Next Topic »