Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
CAC-27 Sabre
Topic Started: Jan 12 2018, 08:50 PM (509 Views)
Paul J
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Hi. Thought I would share with you my current build that is happening alongside another Sabre but will concentrate with this one . Basically its the Academy F-86 with a new fuselage and boxed by Hi Planes with RAAF decals.

Posted Image
[The new fuselage halves and nose cap. Nice exterior surface detail with the correct intakes and outlets seen on the CAC Sabres. The insides of the kit parts are ...quite crude. No mounting points for the cockpit or tailpipe.
Posted Image
Cockpit assembly fitted plus some lead strips for nose weight. I had to shave bits from the bulkhead at rear of cockpit in order for the fuselage halves to close cleanly.
Posted Image
This is how I sorted out the problem with mounting the tail pipe to the new fuselage. Basically I cut away the are that matched the Academy fuselage and did the same to that. Reason being, the ACA kit parts have a better jet pipe mounting point. So I found that I could cut the relevant portions from each kit halves and fit the better one to the new fuselage.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Here the big square hole for the outlet at top of fuselage back filled with plastic card and some filler in preparation for working to a better look.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The tail transplant went quite satisfactorily I thought.

Some of the above pics speak for themselves showing the amount of filling and blending of the wing to fuselage as well as the fuselage joins too.
Since the above pics, the whole project is getting near to painting stage as primer coats have been applied and tidied up any blemishes. More to come...
Edited by Paul J, Jan 12 2018, 09:16 PM.
Goto Top

Paul J
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Ah... My pics don't seem to be visible.. Not sure why. Will have a look. Sorry.

UPDATE: Swapped for PB for images. It seems Village photos doesn't work here.. Shame as I plan to migrate from PB for reasons well known all over.
Edited by Paul J, Jan 13 2018, 07:43 PM.
Goto Top

Paul J
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Above the Academy sprue. Note the altered nose leg and main gear legs as an example when compared to the HC one shown below

Posted Image
Sprue shot of Hobbycraft version of the Sabre.
The sprue frames are virtually identical.
Edited by Paul J, Jan 12 2018, 10:24 PM.
Goto Top

jvd59
none
[ * ]
Nice work. Will be watching. There's 2 Sabres I have never done, Australian
Avon and the F-86H. This will spur me on---John
Edited by jvd59, Jan 13 2018, 12:54 AM.
none
Goto Top

Tommy
Beast
[ * ]
Watching with interest as at some point in my life, I will need to build this. Looking good so far.
Goto Top

Erik the H
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
So, which kit's gear legs are more accurately depicted? I assume Academy, but they've been known to really wonk stuff themselves.
Erik the H
Summerfield, FL USA
Goto Top

Paul J
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I would say the Hobbycraft ones look better. The ACA set have the stub axles off centre. The nose leg assembly looks trange too. Academy seem to have altered quite a few parts and re- orientated theem abit. The detail parts under the main canopy look better thogh and easier to put together. The windscreen on the ACA kit has a very heavy frame work compared to the one by HC that lacks it but can easily be added. On the other hand the ACA main copy has those antenna lines at the rear end. But the air brakes are still wrong.
Goto Top

Scott Hemsley
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
Quote:

I would say the Hobbycraft ones look better. The ACA set have the stub axles off centre

With regards to the ACA MLG, that may be accurate. I thought the same thing when I was doing the new-ish Aifrix kit as they had the same off-centre axles. After digging into this, checking any phot I could find that showed the l/g to good advantage. Nothing 100% certain mind you - like a shot of the l/g with the tire removed ... but enough to convince me that Airfix might just be right on this issue. Extending that conclusion to your statement, I'd say that the ACA interpretation is correct. However, the gear legs do look more 'hefty' than usual, while the HC/Fujimi MLG look right in terms on the l/g thickness..

However, without that ultimate photo, I'd say look at the multitude of photos yourself and make your own decision. The reference point to note is the relation of the hub location to the gear leg and for that, I'd say you're looking for an unobstructed, dead-on profile shot of that MLG.

Scott
Goto Top

jvd59
none
[ * ]
You mean axle off center of gear strut like this?---John
Posted Image
none
Goto Top

jvd59
none
[ * ]
I guess the new mold Airfix F-86F "wonky" leg is correct.---John
Posted Image
none
Goto Top

Paul J
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Re the undercart it could well be. I am just going to go with what the jit has. But the parts on my kit sprue the axles seemed to be short moulded so I will have to insatll my own axle stubs.
Meanwhile here are a few more pics of ptogress. Not much done though s I have been working on the Golden Hawk one along side and thatone is now finished. (Pics to come)

Posted Image

Canopy masked up for painting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope to get more done during coming week. BUt I need to find some decent silver to replicate the spryaed dilver as per real things.

PS: in backgound of the bottom pic there is a Vampire. Less said about the decals the better. When Its sorted it will be another RFI post

Cheers.
Edited by Paul J, Jan 21 2018, 03:11 PM.
Goto Top

Paul J
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
A few update pics of work done today. Mainly the paint work. Found a jar of AK Extreme metal Dark Aluminium that when airbrushed isn't dark at all It looks just fine representing the painted aluminium of RAAF Sabres.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Paul J, Jan 21 2018, 09:13 PM.
Goto Top

jvd59
none
[ * ]
Looking good, like the color scheme.---John
none
Goto Top

Paul J
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
A few pics of the decals selected for this build with the kit decals which I will some of the stencilling.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More of completed decalling later.
Goto Top

Paul J
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Final few WIP pics :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

just a few more bits to stick on and then its all over.
Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · In Progress Models · Next Topic »