Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Academy PB2B-2; QANTAS
Topic Started: Jan 12 2018, 11:18 PM (464 Views)
RayS
Member Avatar
One day......
[ * ]
Academy PBY-5A kit modified with a Red Roo PB2B-2 conversion with Hawkeye decals.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Ray Seppala
Canberra, Australia

Posted Image
Goto Top

Graeme H
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Very nice Ray, looks like it's up on the step and ready to flex the wings, love the props
Graeme
Goto Top

Sky Keg
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Very nice Ray and something not seen very often which makes it all the better! _^
Sky Keg

Mr Dorfman……..Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life.
-Dean Wormer
Goto Top

kingofmen
Member Avatar
Least
[ * ]
Well done. I might have to look into this. I've already done a Catalina, but I'm always looking for 1:72 models I can put into airliner markings. I'll have to check out the Red Roo conversion. Thanks for the inspiration!

Just out of curiosity, what does the conversion consist of?
Edited by kingofmen, Jan 13 2018, 04:21 AM.
Kevin Callahan
Auburn WA USA
Visit the re-energized 72 Land blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/
All hail 1:72!
Goto Top

Tommy
Beast
[ * ]
Very nice Ray - looks really good.
Goto Top

RayS
Member Avatar
One day......
[ * ]
kingofmen
Jan 13 2018, 04:20 AM
Well done. I might have to look into this. I've already done a Catalina, but I'm always looking for 1:72 models I can put into airliner markings. I'll have to check out the Red Roo conversion. Thanks for the inspiration!

Just out of curiosity, what does the conversion consist of?
Cheers Gents.

Kevin, the conversion includes a replacement vertical stab and horizontal stabs, some antennas (which I did not use) the fairing to replace the nose turret and a couple of pieces of card for blanking.

I filled the main gear wells myself with plastic card.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by RayS, Jan 13 2018, 09:10 PM.
Ray Seppala
Canberra, Australia

Posted Image
Goto Top

dixieflyer
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Really awesome Ray! I already commented on the Facing Book page and asked about your props. Looks even better here.

Warren
"History is the lie we all agree upon."
Goto Top

stimpy
Member Avatar
Is It Safe?..... Nope
[ * ]
Great to see something totally different here.
Did I just stick my fingers to my tongue again? Of course you did darling, but I love you anyway.
Goto Top

FAAMAN
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
Nice dio ;)
Collectors beware . . . . if found anywhere or if I've got it in the stash, it WILL be built!!! Then . . "prepare to be assembled!!!"

Goto Top

kingofmen
Member Avatar
Least
[ * ]
Ray - thanks for the info on the conversion items.
Kevin Callahan
Auburn WA USA
Visit the re-energized 72 Land blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/
All hail 1:72!
Goto Top

jvenables
Member Avatar
Hawk
[ * ]
Nicely done, Ray. It is good inspiration for me...

I'm working on one of those myself. It is an old Airfix PBY-5A that my father built for me when I was a kid. I rediscovered it about a decade ago during a visit to my parents' house, along with almost every model I built up to my late teens. My mother had packaged them up reasonably carefully in styrofoam "broccoli boxes" after I moved out; and they'd been stashed and forgotten under their house. It was a treasure trove of memories!

The model was a little damaged with undercarriage and prop blades gone and a cracked & partially crushed nose where it went for a dive off the shelf at some stage. Rather than discard that old model, I thought I'd give it a new life as a civilian PBY-5 (easiest route with a broken nose and no undercarriage) but then I discovered the Red Roo PB2B conversion set and decided to go with that instead.

The conversion set fits the old Airfix kit quite well with a little jiggery-pokery, as do the Squadron cockpit glazing and blisters. As I said, it has been on and off the bench for a while now but I really should just knuckle down and finish it. Unfortunately I filled the undercarriage bays with Milliput before I realised there are a couple of windows in that position and since I am not a fan of decal windows in this scale, I have not decided how to remedy that blooper.

I haven't decided what decals to use but it will be either a QANTAS example (Hawkeye decals) or VH-ASA "Frigate Bird II" (included in the RR conversion set).
James from Brisbane, Australia
Now living in Laos

Nil illegitimi carborundum
Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Photos of Completed Models · Next Topic »