Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Query re Revell re-pops of Matchbox AFVs
Topic Started: Apr 6 2018, 12:05 PM (63 Views)
jvenables
Member Avatar
Hawk
[ * ]
Just curious: does anyone know if the Revell re-pops of 1/76 scale Matchbox AFVs include the natty little diorama base that came with the original boxings?
James from Brisbane, Australia
Now living in Laos

Nil illegitimi carborundum
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ * ]
Yes, they come with the diorama base. The only difference is that the kits are moulded in single colour plastic.
www.locate-and-cement.com
Locate and Cement website
RevellAtions
Bring me my chariot of fire
Paul Brown, Chelmsford, UK Posted Image
Goto Top

jvenables
Member Avatar
Hawk
[ * ]
Thanks Paul. As I recall, even though the diorama bases were mostly very simple, they could be quite effective and were a genuine innovation in small scale armour kits at the time. I wonder why no other manufacturer has followed the example?

I remember being very proud of my Matchbox AFVs with their little diorama base. The only one I didn't really like was the bridge scene that came with the Sherman Firefly - I couldn't see why a Sherman would be driving onto a broken bridge, so it didn't make any sense to me and seemed too unrealistic to bother painting up.

Last time I built a Matchbox AFV model would have been in the late 1970s when I was in my early to mid teens. Even though AFVs are not really my thing these days, I would like to have another crack at one of these little gems.
James from Brisbane, Australia
Now living in Laos

Nil illegitimi carborundum
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ * ]
The bases are variable, some are a quite basic, others more elaborate. In the purple range kits it would seem to be governed by how much space was left on the sprues after the kit subject itself was turned into mouldings, so you're getting proportionally about the same amount of plastic with each kit. Why nobody else ever followed up this idea for AFV/softskin kits is one of the mysteries of life, even the simplest of base or diorama adds so much more interest to the model.
www.locate-and-cement.com
Locate and Cement website
RevellAtions
Bring me my chariot of fire
Paul Brown, Chelmsford, UK Posted Image
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · General Q&A and etc. for groundcraft. · Next Topic »