Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
WW2 german NMF finish in 10 steps; Me-262 example
Topic Started: Jun 26 2018, 09:27 AM (182 Views)
hobbykiller
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
I am sorry for small pictures. I know those days 1024 pix is obsolete. They were taken in 2013 and I lost original ones, I have only small resized. I hope they will be sufficient for illustration.
To simulate NMF finish you will need to combine several techniques, airbrushing and extensive use of traditional paint brush. All works are freehand. I recommend to first try all of this on spare parts. It is easier than looks like, but still - please try first and decide if you like effect.

base painting

0 - surface preparation. There is no preparation. No primer, no undercoat, everything is only sanded smooth. Real aircraft was dirty, scratched, and matt so no need to polish everything. I made rivets as always.

1 - Whole airframe airbrushed freehand by Gunze Super Metallic SM01 in mix of 4 shades to simulate "checkerboard" look (1-basic paint, 2 basic paint with few drops of black, 3 - same but with red add-on, 4 - same, white add-on). Mix numbers simulate: 1 - fresh aluminum, 2- heat resistant or heat treated steel, 3- fresh steel, 4 - oxided aluminum. Of course you can use whatever paint you prefer, and use masking tape as well. But at this stage you can really forget about overspray - next stages will mask everything.
on side: Gunze SM are magic paints. Their formula recalls surfacer - this paint is levelling and smoothing irregularities on surface.

Posted Image

Posted Image

2 - Light grey "ghosting base" under putty lines, airbrushed freehand directly on metal. This is rather "must" to be sprayed, but if you don't feel strong in freehand painting or don't have precise airbrush - don't give up. You can always use two parallel lines of blu-tack and spray line between them. Freehand is faster way however. Don't worry on overspray or imperfections. Use your photo reference to place these lines correctly. They were in some places only.

Posted Image

Posted Image

main effects

3 - nose section - thinned coat of RLM02 over metal airbrushed + thinned mid grey putty lines paint brushed, lightly sanded with sanding foam (to "damage" coat slightly). Bear in mind Me-262 nose section was made from steel (not aluminum) so it was always painted to prevent rust. There were no NMF noses on 262.

Posted Image

4 - tail section - grey putty lines handbrushed + thinned white-grey as "undercoat paint" over the tail section (airbrushed freehand). Tail on me-262 was aluminum, but came from suppliers and was often pre-painted (however it may be sometimes NMF in opposition to the nose - use your documentation)

Posted Image

5 - fuselage central section and wings - thinned light grey putty lines handbrushed (by 0 paintbrush)...

Posted Image

Posted Image

... than second layer (also handbrushed) of mid grey over them. Sanded with sanding foam to take off excess of paint and agian "damage" lines.

Posted Image

Posted Image

detailing

6 - various covers handbrushed RLM76 or off white, nose lightened by thin coat of light grey (by paintbrush)

Posted Image

Posted Image

7 - lines lightened. Very thin light grey painted by handbrush in places where I wanted to change. Engine nacelles are camouflaged in this particular plane - according to pictures. Slots, flaps - are painted in various shades of blue-grey as undercoat factory painting. After all putty lines were again very gently sanded by the (fine) sanding sponge - to obtain irregularity. Don't worry about metal paint damage - Gunze SM is solid as a rock and very resistant to such treatening.

Posted Image

Posted Image

8 - factory metal sheet decal stencilling

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

9 - decals on (national markings, some stencils, and parts numbers)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

10 After all you can use your favorite method to make it dirty (wash or dry pastels are recommended) but use it sparse. Those a/c were almost "factory fresh" - no too much smoke there.

And most important - have fun!

Final effect:

Posted Image

On the other thread I'll decribe why those planes looked so strange.
cheers, Mark
Goto Top

Homus Brencus
Beast
[ * ]
Thank you very very much!!!
I fall asleep after have counted the third rivet...

...and criticism always welcomed!
Goto Top

Ruudster
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Thank you for the step by step for the painting on this beautiful build!
Ruud van der Salm
SW WA
OMS-IPMS, Portland OR
Goto Top

RJ Tucker
Member Avatar
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby
[ * ]
Well done! I may have to try that when I start "MiG mania" here soon*.

*Soon, as in before the 'hundredth anniversary of the Tet Offensive.

RJ
Phantoms phorever!

Flag Plot: My virtual model display shelf
Goto Top

MDriskill
Hero
[ * ]
Wonderful stuf! I really appreciate your posting it and will enjoy further study.
Goto Top

piero
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
Many thanks for your post !
Very interesting set of images. The work done is beautiful.
Giampiero
Goto Top

Graeme H
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
a real masterclass :like:
Graeme
Goto Top

stimpy
Member Avatar
Is It Safe?..... Nope
[ * ]
Same here, thanks for posting this, I shall try this method.
No more plastic
Goto Top

ca-15
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Thanks for the easy to understand lesson Mark.

This is the type of article that should be in some of the modelling magazines rather than a lot of the repetitive builds we see.
Any thought of getting published? This would reach out to a much wider audience.

Cheers

Michael
Michael Louey
Melbourne Australia
Goto Top

hobbykiller
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
ca-15
Jun 28 2018, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the easy to understand lesson Mark.

This is the type of article that should be in some of the modelling magazines rather than a lot of the repetitive builds we see.
Any thought of getting published? This would reach out to a much wider audience.
Michael,

Good idea, but I would need to repeat whole process on white background and bigger size. And no idea who would like to publish such thing(s). Unfortunately it seems I lost original size of pics, so from this material it is impossible. Maybe I have bigger pics on some external HDD, I would need to look... Actually I have article on that plane written already, then I had idea to publish somewhere - I don't remember but it seems nobody interested at all.

But, at least you have it here :D
cheers, Mark
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
The court of LAST RESORT!
[ * ]
Thank you for posting this. This type of stuff is some of the most valuable stuff on the Forum
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: NONE
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40
Revell MiG-21F-13, Ace Citroen V-11
Goto Top

bosco
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
Very creative! What kit was it?
Goto Top

hobbykiller
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
Thanks all :)
bosco
Jun 29 2018, 03:44 PM
What kit was it?

Revell - oltimer, and still best on the market...
cheers, Mark
Goto Top

Barry Numerick
Hero
[ * ]
What a magnificent tutorial, Mark. Many thanks for posting this!
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Hints, Tips, Techniques · Next Topic »