Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Geldmacher Blitzbau; Tamiya A6M2
Topic Started: Jul 7 2018, 04:51 AM (554 Views)
dknights
Member Avatar
The court of LAST RESORT!
[ * ]
For those who don't know, a Blitzbau is a term I first encountered over on the UAMF. It is a build of a model from start to finish in 24 hours. It is accompanied by regular posted updates on the forum and usually accompanied by photos of meals and libations and a clock keeping time. The modified Blitzbau is a blitz broken up into two consecutive 12 hour build sessions on two consecutive days. I've done one or two of these and they are great fun.

My friend Dr. David Geldmacher came up with the Geldmacher blitz which starts on Friday evening and goes thru an entire weekend. This is less taxing on those of us who are older. As my wife and children have left on vacation, leaving me at home, I've decided to attempt a Geldmacher blitz and those of you on the board can follow along.

I decided, with the input of Skippy and Jim Bates to build the Tamiya A6M2. I've built the A6M5 from Tamiya and still consider it the finest kit ever produced. I much prefer the A6M2 version of the Zero, so this is my chance to build one of the Tamiya kits. Skippy came over and I began about 8:15pm on Friday. (That is Skippy's watch in the photo.)

Posted Image

The kit is as sweet as I remember it. It is one of the best engineered kits I've ever seen. I got the interior together and partly painted.

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

The interior was painted with Tamiya XF-71. I hate acrylics, but on a blitz, the drying time advantage makes it necessary. I also got the engine and prop painted. Now for a brief nap while some things dry anf then back to it tomorrow morning.

Follow along.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: Tamiya A6M2
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Good morning. Part of the blitz tradition is photos of food and drink along the way. I slept in a bit late this morning. Cooked up breakfast.

Posted Image

and sat down to a good meal.

Posted Image

Now the England v. Sweden world cup match is coming on and it will make a great backdrop to my building today. I hope to have everything built today, so that I can leave tomorrow for painting and finishing.
Edited by dknights, Jul 7 2018, 01:59 PM.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
One of the many advantages of the Geldmacher Blitz is that the slightly longer time period allows you to just a bit more than a basic build. IN this case I've taken the time to add a light wash to the Tamiya interior. Since I am blitzing, I use the pre-made MiG neutral wash.

Posted Image

For the engine, I put on Alclad Stainless Steel, which I like better than their regular steel shade. Man, this Tamiya kit is well molded.

Posted Image

England is up two-nil. More later including a family lunch break.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Goto Top

Ruudster
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Hoot, England won and your build is looking good!
Ruud van der Salm
SW WA
OMS-IPMS, Portland OR
Goto Top

Petri
Petri Ola
[ * ]
Both the Zero and the breakfast look real good _^
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Well, 4:15 p.m. Saturday afternoon is here. Time for an update. Here is where I am currently. I've got to get all this together by tonight to keep on schedule.

Posted Image

You'll see a watch in the photo to show the time. It is a blitz tradition to come up with unusual timepieces to display in the updates. This is a pocket watch I got in China when I went to adopt my second daughter. Also a tradition in the blitz photos is a selection of adult beverages. In this case, I chose Dark Horse Sapient Trip Ale, by Dark Horsebrewing of Michigan. It is a Belgian Style Triple. Pretty smooth, 9.5% ABV.

I broke for lunch with my brother at the local Hooters. Wings. Mmm.

Posted Image

Also, usually during a blitz I make at least one trip to the LHS. In this case I needed some Tamiya X-18 and a vallejo Dark Pin wash.

Posted Image
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Goto Top

Tommy
Beast
[ * ]
That looks like fun _^
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Tommy, it is fun. Great way to get your juices flowing again.

It is 9:25 p.m. The wings are together and sanded, thought this Tamiya kit fits so well there isn't much sanding. This is the crunch time. If I am not going to make it, it will be because I didn't get things together tonight. The interior is about to go together and from there, the rest of the assembly shouldn't take any time at all. I am still optimistic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dinner was leftovers, an the drink was a Zima. For those of you not familiar with Zima, read here.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Goto Top

datguy
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
A fine job, good sir. I'm happy to have inspired you...

Datguy in AL
aka David Geldmacher
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
datguy
Jul 8 2018, 02:49 AM
A fine job, good sir. I'm happy to have inspired you...

Datguy in AL
aka David Geldmacher
I am really enjoying the Geldmacher Blitz. This is definitely the way to do it. Also, the Tamiya kit is the perfect kit for this. I am just amazed at how good a kit it is.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Goto Top

skippy
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Hey Dave,

The Zero is looking good, and thanks for having me over last night. Hope you get it mostly finished tonight
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
skippy
Jul 8 2018, 05:35 AM
Hey Dave,

The Zero is looking good, and thanks for having me over last night. Hope you get it mostly finished tonight
Come over tomorrow and see it get finished.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
1:30 a.m. Sunday morning. My last post for a few hours. I managed to get the sucker put together. I was hoping to be in primer, but this is close enough for tonight. I still ought to get it done by 7 a.m. Monday.

The clock for the photo is my daughter's Hello Kitty clock. The beer is a Blueberry beer from Sea Dog Brewing of Maine. Their website is here It was pretty good.

Posted Image

Here is a photo where you can get a look at the interior. This kit is fantastic. The engineering is just unbelievable. I am doing this one out of the box for the blitz, but you could really go all out on it if you wished.

Posted Image
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
Quick update. Up at 8:30 a.m. Put some Mr. Surfacer 1500 on the seams. Frankly, the kit is so well engineered, there isn't much need for this step, but better safe than sorry. I'll post some photos soon. BTW, sorry about the poor quality photos in the thread. I'm use my cell phone for speed sake and just posting the raw photos. I'll try to make ones today a bit better.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
[ * ]
After a good breakfast of French toast, bacon and coffee.......

Posted Image

I got to work. I cleared up the canopy and dipped it in Future. It was at this point I realized I had Eduard Canopy masks for the A6M5, instead of the A6M2. Lesson boys and girls is plan ahead. There are some subtle differences between the two canopies. I'll be able to uses the ones I have but will have to do a bit of adjusting with tape. This may slow me down a bit. Most of the rest of the morning was spent cleaning up landing gear parts and painting the interior surfaces of the doors, etc. As of just before 1 p.m. here is where I stand...

Posted Image

Got to watch the British Grand Prix while I worked. I was a good race. The beer is a raspberry wheat from Schafly Brewing in St. Louis. Information on them is here. It was ok, but not as good as the Sea Dog. Now I am off to run some errands while some paint dries and will be back to it soon.

P.S. The clock is my grandmother's mantle clock. It reminds me of her every time I see it.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · In Progress Models · Next Topic »