Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
The Airfix A-B; for your enlightenment and edification
Topic Started: Jul 21 2012, 07:58 AM (6,415 Views)
Ajay
Member Avatar
Allan
[ * ]
The sprue joints are really very thick and needed a lot of careful removal and a new blade. The fit is really good once this hurdle is overcome.
Posted Image

The intakes have a fit issue and have to be carefully filed and trimmed (on top of those darned lugs) Again the fit is good and positive after all the trimming.

Theres some very fine mouldings (ariels and the like) that I dont hold out much hope of saving during the initial rub down of the fuselage seam.

Posted Image

On to the tanks(gas bags as my ex USS Saratoga mate calls them)again the sprue lugs are thick and cause problems. When they are made up they look the part. Im not sure if they are not just a bit skinny for the A-4? The top tank in the pic is from a Hasegawa A-4 and looks to my eye just a little more"guppy" like?????

Posted Image

Thats it for the first session. Im still a bit weary of those panel lines but the feel of the kit is pretty good. Although the cockpit is very workman like and reasonable for an out of the box build Im hoping a resin tub and detail set is already on someones to do list. Im sure to be doing a few more of these.

Posted Image

:)
Bespoke maker of plastic kits to my own low standard that I usually fail to achieve .
Goto Top

walrus
Member Avatar
Porco
[ * ]
Flying start Ajay! :wub:

Just having a look at some pictures on google images.
It looks like there may well be two types of tank used. The Airfix looks like the slimmer type. Possibly still too straight in profile. But not a lot in it imho. Possibly the straight section is marginally too long.

Posted Image

The centreline tank looks more like the Hase one.
Posted Image

Caveat: I could be talking out of my bottom :unsure:
Paul from Birmingham, UK
Now living in Barnsley.
Goto Top

Joe Hegedus
Beast
[ * ]
The tanks don't look right to me. The Aero-1 series, IIRC, didn't have a cylindrical section in the middle, they were a constant curve from tip to the aft tank bulkhead. The tail sections might have been straight conical shapes.

There were 3 sizes of the tank used, a 150-gallon version, a 300-gallon version, and a 400-gallon version. The basic shape was similar for all 3, just the size changed. That TA-4S in the last picture looks to have a 400-gallon on the centerline and 300-gallon tanks on the wings.

The 150-gallon tank is included in the Hasegawa F9F-8 Cougar, but I think all the Skyhawk kits have just the 300-gallon version. Fujimi had 2 different tail cones in their A-4 kits; one with the 2 fins and one with a blunt fairing.
Goto Top

Ajay
Member Avatar
Allan
[ * ]
Seems to my eye as if Airfix have copied the awful tanks of the Trumpeter and Hobbyboss A-7.
I think the small blunt tailed tank provided could work,but it will mean buying two kits to get one fit (wing tanks)

Lets hope somebody in the aftermarket issues some tanks,otherwise the spares boxes world wide will be getting a hammering ;)

It will be a very expensive build if we have to buy a whole Hasegawa kit just for the tanks. :wacko: :angry:

Why oh why wont manufacturers learn from the previous mistakes instead of copying them
Bespoke maker of plastic kits to my own low standard that I usually fail to achieve .
Goto Top

Tailspin Turtle
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Check your tanks here: http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/07...fuel-tanks.html
www.tommythomason.com
Goto Top

Tailspin Turtle
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
The 150-gallon tanks were notably smaller. There's a picture here: http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/01...generators.html
www.tommythomason.com
Goto Top

Ajay
Member Avatar
Allan
[ * ]
Thanks "Talilspin" the shape of tanks and the types of tank is a complete minefield and can of worms. Im going to be reading and re reading those articles until I get my head around this shape problem.
I guess it doesnt help that modellers were told all sorts of theories from self proclaimed experts.Theories and speculation that have been repeated until becoming "law"
When I get time Ill try and sort out my spares box and have a look/compare different manufacturers shapes and sizes.

Thanks again for the links.

:wacko: :wub:
Goto Top

Ajay
Member Avatar
Allan
[ * ]
Posted Image

Coming along, using the underwing tanks from an Esci A-4E/F. I believe that Frieghtdog are to bring out a set of tanks as well as a conversion nose for a "C"
The panel lines are a bit deep but the paint job make them presentable ...to me anyway.
Airfix will be selling me quite a few more.

:wub:
Goto Top

Seahawk
Beast
[ * ]
Just trying to save myself, and maybe others, a bob or two here. If, as Tailspin says, tanks were, at one point at least, pretty standardised across Douglas types, how well would the tanks from the Airfix Skyraider suit? Does the Hasegawa Skyraider come with tanks? If so, could they be used?
Goto Top

jbank
Member Avatar
miscreant
[ * ]
Seahawk,Jul 25 2012
05:45 PM
Just trying to say myself, and maybe others, a bob or two here. If, as Tailspin says, tanks were, at one point at least, pretty standardised across Douglas types, how well would the tanks from the Airfix Skyraider suit? Does the Hasegawa Skyraider come with tanks? If so, could they be used?

Yeah, tanks were pretty much standardized.

Tanks from Italeri's and Fujimi's A-6 kits work. Tanks from Hasegawa's A-4, A-1, A-6, EA-6B kits work. Kits from Esci's A-4 kits work. Lots of decent Aero series tanks available in 72nd scale.

Quote:

I guess it doesnt help that modellers were told all sorts of theories from self proclaimed experts.Theories and speculation that have been repeated until becoming "law"

What theories have you been listening to? I guess it all goes back to choosing legitimate sources.
Life is too short for poor kits.
Goto Top

Tailspin Turtle
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Seahawk,Jul 25 2012
05:45 PM
Just trying to say myself, and maybe others, a bob or two here. If, as Tailspin says, tanks were, at one point at least, pretty standardised across Douglas types, how well would the tanks from the Airfix Skyraider suit? Does the Hasegawa Skyraider come with tanks? If so, could they be used?

Quick and qualitative comparison here: http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2012/07...fuel-tanks.html

Short version, the Esci A-4 tanks are about as good as there is. The Hasegawa Skyraider comes with tanks and they are almost as good. The Airfix Skyraider tanks are not nearly as good.
www.tommythomason.com
Goto Top

Ajay
Member Avatar
Allan
[ * ]
jbank,Jul 25 2012
06:07 PM
I guess it all goes back to choosing legitimate sources.

I guess it does,wise words and sage advice jbank :wub:

Tailspin,just been reading your blog,some great research and information therein.Thanks. :wub:
Goto Top

Seahawk
Beast
[ * ]
Tailspin Turtle,Jul 25 2012
09:02 PM
Quick and qualitative comparison here: http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2012/07...fuel-tanks.html

Short version, the Esci A-4 tanks are about as good as there is. The Hasegawa Skyraider comes with tanks and they are almost as good. The Airfix Skyraider tanks are not nearly as good.

Now that is a really helpful post. Well done and many thanks for the quick and thorough research.
Goto Top

Ajay
Member Avatar
Allan
[ * ]
A bit more feedback from The Airfix kit.

The attachment holes for the wing pylons have to be drilled out. Airfix have provide the holes and the pylons for the later C wing. Could bode well for another issue??

The fit of the parts has been really good once they were cleaned up and the fine moulded detail has stood up to general handling without breaking.
The air brakes were an especially snug fit.
I had to remove the blade aerial behind the cockpit to get a good fuselage join and the small amount of filling and sanding needed. One thing that may cause a little problem is the avionics blister for the Argentine version. With the plastic being a little "soft" when you cement the fuselage halves together ,the cement softens the small flash over, above the locating holes.This is turn causes two small sink holes that have to be filled and sanded.
In my usual haste I didn't notice this until after painting. Ill remember on my next builds.
The decals from the box are really good. I haven't used the full given scheme,but the national insignia and the anti glare panel were a joy. All the better for me was the way the stbd. side star and bar snuggled down over the in-flight refuelling probe.

As an aside I've just received a set of Xtradecals ( X72 151) from Hannants. A great sheet (IMHO) that is going to see me through the next few builds. Check them out.
Ok, back to the grindstone,I have to mask and paint the cockpit transparencies and touch up a few bits of paint work.
Goto Top

RexTN
Member Avatar
Accidental CAG
[ * ]
Ajay

just a heads up while I hope you still have time to adjust

you have two different decal sets on your model,,,,the tail and fuselage markings from the VA-22 squadron on a CVSW cruise as a fighter (NS),,and the upper wing codes from a CVW-17 bomber cruise (AA)

trying to help before clear coats get sprayed on,

Rex
yep, one of each USN squadron

http://hangardeckview.blogspot.com/
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Hangar_Deck_Re...dex.php?act=idx
Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · In Progress Models · Next Topic »