Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
AZ Bf 109 G-14; Out of the box build
Topic Started: Jan 8 2014, 05:11 AM (21,291 Views)
Barry Numerick
Hero
[ * ]
After much anticipation of the release of this kit and reading the comments in this thread:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/...?showtopic=4269

I decided to have a go at the AZ model. There have been many comments, both good and not quite good, about this effort. The published builds look very nice on Britmodeler and some of the Czech sites, but there was something not quite right with the nose. My friend Woody came up with a fix (see the above noted site), which improves the look considerably. So here goes...

I started by cutting the rear lower cowl and inserting a wedge of styrene that tapers from .040" to 0.00" as a spreader.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The problem with this kit is the wing incidence angles upward too much, resulting in a nearly flat lower cowl from the spinner to the wing leading edge. As Woody suggested, a .040" spacer at the leading edge of the wing will correct this. So I quickly mocked up this configuration and came up with this.

Posted Image

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this looks much more like a 109, and I'm fussy about that.

Here is a length of Evergreen .040 glued to the lower wing. It extends forward of the front edge to eliminate some of the inevitable puttying to come.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am excited to have a Bf 109 G-14 and look forward to some of the more exotic versions to come, Erla G-10, G-6/AS, Avia S-199 and The Hispano. These are good times for the 1/72nd scale 109 fan...
Goto Top

Chuck1945
Hero
[ * ]
Watching with much interest. I got FM wing out yesterday and did some comparisons with the AZ kit, no pictures yet though. It looks as though both kits' wings are almost identical regarding thickness. The way the wing/fuselage join is molded is different between the kits so the FM wing isn't a drop in fit to the AZ fuselage although the reverse is true, at least at the leading edge (the AZ wing matches rather well with the FM fuselage, although the fairing at the forward end of the wing lower surface where it meets the fuselage is marginally thinner on the AZ kit. The FM leading edge fits into the AZ fuselage and that same fairing is slightly deeper on the FM wing causing it to protrude below the fuselage by perhaps 0.2mm.

I still don't see how forcing the front end of the AZ wing down ~1mm (the 0.040" spacer) is going to allow the upper wing root to match the fuselage wing fairing without an unusually thick leading edge ... at least at the wing/fuselage junction. I am however, prepared to be surprised by whatever magic you weave Barry :)
Chuck
Eastern WA, USA
Finished 2018
Eduard Spitfire IXc
Eduard Spitfire VIII
On the active bench:
Eduard Bf 110C, Monogram/Starfighter BFC-2
Goto Top

InchHigh
Member Avatar
It's a good day to build.
[ * ]
Chuck1945,Jan 8 2014
02:07 AM
I still don't see how forcing the front end of the AZ wing down ~1mm (the 0.040" spacer) is going to allow the upper wing root to match the fuselage wing fairing without an unusually thick leading edge ... at least at the wing/fuselage junction. I am however, prepared to be surprised by whatever magic you weave Barry :)

My question as well. Watching with interest.

Any comment on the canopy?
Jeff

Time spent modeling is not deducted from your lifespan.

I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest of it I just wasted.
Goto Top

Ruudster
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
All the world (of 72ndSA) watches... no pressure Barry ;)

A new AZ build or not, it is always a pleasure to follow another of Barry's builds.
Ruud van der Salm
SW WA
OMS-IPMS, Portland OR
Goto Top

Touvdal
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
Watching this one closely :blink:

Interesting to see how you solve the upper wing to fuselage fit.

No pressure
:rolleyes:

cheers
Jes
Goto Top

prop duster
Member Avatar
"... and master of none." Nones better watch out
[ * ]
As I have never built a 109 and all I know about them would fit in a gnats ear;

leads me to believe this is going to be,
Verrrry Instr-restink Posted Image

if you don't know who this character is, your too darn young in my book :rolleyes:
Steve

Model building...SoCal style Posted Image
Goto Top

Zambudio
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
I will be watching the build with interest too! I have three FM kits and was thinking of getting a few of the new AZ ones, but I holding my urge a bit. I am very much looking forward to the Czech the Spanish post-war versions though!
"Don't tell my mother I'm a banker, she thinks I play the piano in a brothel"
Great Depression joke
Goto Top

Graeme H
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Ok, I got one AZ kit to check it out

now I too will sit back and watch Barry lead the way
Graeme
Goto Top

Big Kohona
Hero
[ * ]
. .
Goto Top

J.C. Bahr
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
prop duster,Jan 11 2014
12:56 AM
if you don't know who this character is, your too darn young in my book          :rolleyes:

Didn't think I was that young... but who is he? Initially I was thinking of Schulz from Hogan's Heroes, but his statement was: "I know nothiiinnngggg!"
J.C. Bahr

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy
Goto Top

Big Kohona
Hero
[ * ]
. .
Goto Top

Chuck1945
Hero
[ * ]
Big Kohona,Jan 11 2014
09:47 PM
Oh J.C. ... you must be young :lol:

Arte Johnson is the fellow in question and he was a regular on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In from the late 60's to the early 70's.

That was one of my favorite shows, unfortunately I headed overseas in '68 and it was off the air by the time I returned in '72 :(
Chuck
Eastern WA, USA
Finished 2018
Eduard Spitfire IXc
Eduard Spitfire VIII
On the active bench:
Eduard Bf 110C, Monogram/Starfighter BFC-2
Goto Top

prop duster
Member Avatar
"... and master of none." Nones better watch out
[ * ]
Chuck1945,Jan 11 2014
10:27 PM
Big Kohona,Jan 11 2014
09:47 PM
Oh J.C. ... you must be young  :lol:

Arte Johnson is the fellow in question and he was a regular on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In from the late 60's to the early 70's.

That was one of my favorite shows, unfortunately I headed overseas in '68 and it was off the air by the time I returned in '72 :(

Arte Johnson was a great comedian. Those of us who saw him we were convulsed with laughter. As for Any of you that missed him; I'm sorry you did.

This will revive or create new, memories

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWiM45I1knwzCuxgxScQTwA

Posted ImageWith apologies to Barry Numerick for this detour

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Post about the AZ Bf 109
Steve

Model building...SoCal style Posted Image
Goto Top

Barry Numerick
Hero
[ * ]
Made some progress this weekend. I will present some comparisons with the Fine Molds kits, since they are the main competition to the AZ models. The AZ interior is good and a considerable improvement over the FM kit. However, it is soft in detail. I compared the AZ 109 interior to it's immediate predecessor, the AZ Spitfire IX, and it is of similar quality. Interestingly, AZ recently released a Spit XVI. The exterior finish to the plastic is somewhat rougher than the Mk IX, but the sharpness of the interior is noticeably better. In my opinion, the quality of the AZ 109 interior is acceptable, but a contest quality model needs something better. The fit of the cockpit interior is not particularly good. I had to shave the rear bulkhead considerably before it would close without clamping. Could this be why the canopy appears too narrow on some online builds?

Posted Image

Posted Image

After assembling the fuselage, I glued wing trailing edge and wingtip together. I then taped the wing to the fuselage, and inserted wedges of .040" styrene until the upper wing was the proper height. The wedges were fixed with superglue, then snipped off with a sprue cutter. I had considered filling the leading edge with epoxy putty, but the superglue was in hand, so away we went.

Posted Image

Posted Image

After roughing in the area with sanding stick, I applied some Mr. Surfacer 500.

Posted Image

This project is intended as a quick build experiment to see if the somewhat anemic nose of this kit can be corrected with reasonable ease. So far, I'm not convinced that it is worth the effort. The kit, despite new molding technology, has many of the hallmarks of a short run kit. The fit of the upper cowl is challenging, the plastic is soft, with a "soapy" feel, and for every advantage over the Fine Molds models, there is a corresponding disadvantage. The prop is a case in point.

Posted Image

The G-1 through G-14 prop is shown on the left. It has quite a few shape problems. Fortunately, the wider is G-10/K prop is included. This can be sanded down rather easily the make a respectable G-6 propellor, as I've done here. I really want to like these AZ Kits. The prospect of a new complete line of 109s is, for me, the Holy Grail. But the competition from Fine Molds is formidable. They are more logically engineered, particularly in the cowling, are generally quite accurate, and fit very well.

More random thoughts as we progress.
Goto Top

Ruudster
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Thanks for the update Barry.
Ruud van der Salm
SW WA
OMS-IPMS, Portland OR
Goto Top

Go to Next Page