Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
P-40F build with improvements; Special Hobby kit
Topic Started: Sep 1 2015, 02:50 AM (2,845 Views)
ww2nut
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Hey guys,

Well Bert and I have started another mini-group build. This time our subject is the P-40F/L series, using the very good Special Hobby 1/72 scale kit.

I'm adding some detail and will be fixing some inaccuracies along the way. I've already filled in the cutout on the cowling behind the exhaust stubs. From my own research I've found this cutout was removed when the switch was made on the production line to the fishtail type exhaust ports from the round type. I found only a couple exceptions to this, and my guess is those were simply replacement cowling parts robbed from older P-40's.I thinned out the cowling interior and opened up the exhaust openings so that I could insert some resin exhaust stacks. I simply glued flat sections of thin plastic sheet inside as a mating surface for the resin exhaust parts. I think it will add realism.

In the cockpit I've added wiring, throttle and mixture levers, a new control stick, seat, wobble pump handle, (made from the kit control stick), and the hand crank on the top right side for the sliding canopy. I also will be installing a new instrument panel from Yahu's ever growing line of pre-assembled, pre-painted parts. The only problem with their P-40E/F panel is that it's gray and should be black. It's so beautifully done I hate to repaint it, so I just darkened it a bit with a wash, and will add the backs of the instruments to the two top displays, since these could be seen from the outside, through the windscreen.

New wheel wells will be added, new wheels, and new wing gun ports. I'll use some MV Resin lenses for the landing and formation lights also.

Here's where it is tonight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Joe
Goto Top

stimpy
Member Avatar
Is It Safe?..... Nope
[ * ]
nice start......
No more plastic
Goto Top

KaneoheAFB
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
Watching intently Joe. I'll be peeking often, looking great. Is this the same Bert I got to meet at the Nats? Tell him I said “hi”
Aloha Clint
My studio is not messy; it is an obstacle course designed to keep me fit!
Goto Top

J.C. Bahr
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Man, that is quite the fine scribing detail on those fingers in the one photo!... what reference did you have to consult for that?!?! :lol:
J.C. Bahr

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy
Goto Top

ww2nut
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Thanks guys,

Clint, yes it is and I will. ;)

J.C....yes, 1/32 scale hands holding a 1/72 scale panel. :D

I've added some paint today after reshaped the top of the seat, and added some pushrods from the throttle quadrant going forward. The fuselage is about ready to be buttoned up after I insert some sort of blanking off parts to the radiator outlets on the inside bottom of the cowling.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Joe
Goto Top

ww2nut
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Good progress on this week on the P-40F build. Wings and tailplanes installed and nearly finished being blended in. I drilled out the small cabin air inlets at the leading edge of each wing root. I'll also be adding the wing landing light and the missing formation light just aft of the wing, on the plane's belly, from MV lenses. A few more panels have to be re-scribed on the belly, just aft of the wing, then I'll finish blending the tail surfaces and add the windscreen. Once all this is done, she will be ready for paint. I have to say I'm impressed how well this kit goes together, with no major issues so far. It is lacking in detail in the wheel wells, and the main gear are very thick and clunky looking, but overall it's the best P-40 kit available in 1/72 scale IMHO. Wheel wells have been replaced as will the gun barrels, wheels and probably the main gear legs, using parts from the Hasegawa kit. I also deepened the panel lines by going over them with a sewing needle and added a couple missing lines, in addition to adding larger screw heads to a few panels using that same sewing needle.

The P-40 is one plane I have plenty of reference books for, so if anyone needs any info on the plane, I probably have it. Here's are photos showing some of my P-40 books and where the build is now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Joe
Goto Top

KaneoheAFB
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
Joe looks great! The extra work on the panel lines looks super. I'm envious of your reference materials, you have a nice P-40 collection!
Aloha Clint
My studio is not messy; it is an obstacle course designed to keep me fit!
Goto Top

ww2nut
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Thanks Clint, this is something I do on most builds now, seems to even out the panel lines and saves extra work later.

Yeah, note to self, no more P-40 books. ;)

Joe
Goto Top

Petri
Petri Ola
[ * ]
Looks very nice Joe ^_^
Also, you’ve just convinced me that I absolutely need to add one of these to my stash.
Goto Top

ww2nut
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Thanks Petri! As I looked over my Sword P-40K in my stash, I have to say it has even better detail than the Special Hobby kit, but I haven't built a Sword P-40 yet, so I'm not sure if it goes together as well as this one does...hopefully it will.

Yes, get one for your stash, I'm enjoying enough that I just picked up the Special Hobby combo boxing of the P-40F long and short tail with French and British markings. There are a lot of options with these aircraft, and I'd love to see you build one. :)

Joe
Goto Top

Big Kohona
Hero
[ * ]
Joe, where do you get the MV lenses from? or do you just have a stash of them? :lol:
Goto Top

ww2nut
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
I do have quite a stash, because these things are hard to beat for various lights and lenses. I buy them on eBay, usually just about every size and color is readily available there.

Joe
Goto Top

Bert
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
I've read about them. What the heck are they? How about a photo or two? As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words ;)

You've managed to overtake me on this build Joe. Pretty typical :D

Looking good ^_^

-Bert
Iko Iko jockamo fee na nay
Goto Top

ww2nut
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Sure Bert...these are the sizes I most frequently use for 1/72 scale builds. The blue lights are great for formation lights, and the red green amber sets are perfect for that as well. The clear lenses work great for landing lights. I use these a lot now. Just drill out a depression deep enough for them to sit in, drop a bit a diluted white glue in, then plop the lens in. The excess white glue is easily removed with a damp Q-tip.

Posted Image

Joe
Goto Top

ww2nut
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Great video for viewing the cockpit details in full color. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUcqbytR9Ts

Joe

Goto Top

Go to Next Page