Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
FRROM Northrop Delta; Just poking along...
Topic Started: Mar 9 2017, 01:56 AM (2,376 Views)
renscho
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ * ]
Posted Image

Posted Image

Cleaning up little parts. I approach kits like this with some caution, although, happily, this one is proving to be possessed of good molding and fit overall.

The clear parts fit near perfectly, the side window ports needing just the smallest clean-up.

The cabin and cockpit floors and the aft bulkhead fit very well. I narrowed the front of the cockpit floor a bit and cleaned up the ejector pin marks inside the fuselage halves. Since I couldn't reconcile myself with a wide open rear of the cockpit, I made up a bulkhead that fits from the top of the rear cockpit floor to the top of the fuselage.

I noticed there are four passenger seats with thin bottom cushions, and four with thicker ones. I could file the thicker ones down to match, but I think I'll try just putting the thicker ones in back. We'll see. The pilot's seat is shorter top-to-bottom than the passenger seats.

Overall, this is a fairly simple, but very well engineered little kit. Even the horizontal stabilizers have locating tabs. We'll see how those work out. Oh, yes... the cowling has a tiny cut-out in the rear edge not mentioned in the instructions. I figured out it belongs top center in front of the windscreen. Technicalities.

Painting things will begin in earnest soon. I'm quite liking this little kit so far!
(Please forgive cell phone pix. Quick 'n dirty.)
Robert E. Rensch
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
The court of LAST RESORT!
[ * ]
Following with interest.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: Tamiya A6M2
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40
Goto Top

InchHigh
Member Avatar
It's a good day to build.
[ * ]
Beautiful aircraft. If the clear parts fit that's half the battle. Go Robert, go!
Jeff

Time spent modeling is not deducted from your lifespan.

I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest of it I just wasted.
Goto Top

kingofmen
Member Avatar
Least
[ * ]
Just out of curiosity, where did you source this kit? Haven't seen them at my two usual retailers yet - Sprue Bros and Hannants. TIA
Kevin Callahan
Auburn WA USA
Visit the re-energized 72 Land blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/
All hail 1:72!
Goto Top

renscho
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ * ]
My thanks and appreciation to Gilles Fontaine at FRROM for the review kit. He's a great fellow.

Check the FRROM website if nothing else... They should be generally available very soon at any rate.

Robert E. Rensch
Goto Top

VG 33
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
Hello

This is nice as I am building acouple of these kits over BM. Actually I am building a delta 1A TWA and a Spanish Republican Delta 1C.

What scheme have you chosen?

On the other hand I have asked a question if there were passenger safety belts on ARC but so far to no avail. What do you think about that?

Patrick
Goto Top

renscho
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ * ]
I am doing the LAPE aircraft with the metallic letters over the red band. Just a little bit of SCW history in that one.

I think the interior in the kit is virtually barren. Not as bad as the SH Lockheed Orion, which has nothing, but there's a lot not there. I would believe there were lap belts. The only modification I am making is the bulkhead behind the cockpit. Everything else will be as offered. The windows will make it difficult to tell much more than seats, and truthfully, the idea of using "Crystal Clear" stuff for windows lurks yet in the back of my alleged mind.

If I use the kit windows, and I will probably give it a shot, I have an idea to paint the inner and outer finish in the window area before joining the fuselage halves. Then windows with white glue from the inside. Then a mask for the outside... paper the length and height of the whole row of windows held in place by tape over the paper extending to the nearest practical panel lines. That way, I can join the fuselage halves, deal with the seam if necessary, and paint the rest of the exterior. If the tone of the exterior color is slightly off from that already painted near the windows and masked, then... panels! Also, there will be no adhesive directly over the windows, since they are covered by the paper first. Should be a painless removal with no casualties.

We shall see. I expect to see a nice photo of your model sometime in the future, of course. ^_^
Robert E. Rensch
Goto Top

VG 33
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
My Spanish Delta will be with all black letters.

Patrick
Goto Top

VG 33
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
A way to get flush transparencies.

Patrick

Posted Image
Goto Top

walrus
Member Avatar
Porco
[ * ]
How did you do that Patrick? Apologies for being dim

Did you put the windows on the outside and sand down?
Paul from Birmingham, UK
Now living in Barnsley.
Goto Top

walrus
Member Avatar
Porco
[ * ]
Not sure if this will be of any help:
Northrop Delta Mk. II, RCAF cockpit, 12 Apr 1937.

Posted Image

Source webpage: Canadian Warbirds
Paul from Birmingham, UK
Now living in Barnsley.
Goto Top

renscho
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ * ]
Two variants of the Delta. Apparently, the first few were set up for a single pilot. That's the version FRROM has kitted. The photo shows the later two pilot version, which will be the forthcoming SH/MPM version.

I have noticed that manufacturers were fond of that control wheel, but some installed it upside-down to others. This photo gave me Northrop's take on installation as well as a few other manufacturer's particulars. Photos of the early single pilot version are rare as can be... (Hen's teeth, rocking horse poop, etc.)

I just go with the flow. No installing a pay phone in the back like I did with my Mureaux observation plane. :P
Robert E. Rensch
Goto Top

walrus
Member Avatar
Porco
[ * ]
:lol:

More not very helpful pictorial info.
Came across an interior photo of a Northrop Alpha while searching for Gamma interior pics but forgot to post
(You weren't kidding when you said such photos were rare, Robert!)

Posted Image

Source webpage

Decided to post because it may potentially answer the question about passenger seat belts, notwithstanding they may have been standard in the Gamma. But hopefully the webpage be of some use to someone interested in inter war passenger aircraft.

I was hoping to find a similar brochure for the Gamma but no such luck.

Paul from Birmingham, UK
Now living in Barnsley.
Goto Top

renscho
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ * ]
I have been diggin' the curtains... Maybe some edges on the inside of the windows may get a bit of color... Just maybe.
Robert E. Rensch
Goto Top

renscho
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ * ]
The Deltas just showed up on Hannant's Hot List.
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FR032?&currency_id=2
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FR033

Robert E. Rensch
Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · In Progress Models · Next Topic »