Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
The F-4D Phantom; Operation Linebacker I
Topic Started: Sep 24 2017, 11:22 PM (1,037 Views)
RJ Tucker
Member Avatar
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby
[ * ]
I found a started Fujimi F-4D Phantom II kit on the shelf of doom. I've decided to build it as a laser bomber in the 1972 Linebacker campaign in the final throws of US involvement in Vietnam.

I'll build this Phantom along side the EC-121R aircraft. When I paint, most of the time goes to mixing and thinning the paint and cleaning the airbrush. Once the paint is thinned, it's shelf life is finite, so it’s either used or tossed in a few weeks! Time spent actually blowing paint was minuscule compared to the prep and clean up. This way, I get twice as much done in one painting session. This is really efficient for the small paint jobs like cockpit colors, gear wells, landing gear, bombs, etc. When one model’s sub-assembly is setting or drying, I work on the other one. I split the projects when it comes time to decal and final assembly. Works for me!

When Fujimi released their British Phantoms, they updated the cockpit making it a gem. IMO, it's just behind the Monogram Phantoms in detail; inexplicably, Fujimi didn't update the US versions with the better cockpit. So, I made a resin copy of the cockpit from the Fujimi F-4K kit.
Posted Image

I cut the combing off the fuselage just ahead of the pilot. I'll add a better rendition from a Hasegawa kit. The aft canopy will cover the gaps behind the WSO.
Posted Image

The ejection seats are Verlinden F-4 seats. They're a little undersized, but so are the kit seats. The face curtain handles are painted wire.
Posted Image

Some of the paint has been rubbed off testing the fit. So like the real thing, it's tight.
Posted Image

Up next is painting all the white parts on this kit & the EC-121R sharing the work bench.

RJ
Phantoms phorever!

Flag Plot: My virtual model display shelf
Goto Top

Sky Keg
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
EXCELLENT RJ!!!!!! One can NEVER have enough Phantoms!!!! Keep me / us updated on your progress. ^_^
Sky Keg

Mr Dorfman……..Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life.
-Dean Wormer
Goto Top

RJ Tucker
Member Avatar
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby
[ * ]
Not much progress to report on this kit. I got the white painted, and I'm working the fuselage seams. (AGH!)

The issue with gloss paints on small scale models is the "toy" like appearance a really shinny finish has. So my favorite technique for painting gloss colors on small scale models is:

- paint the area with light coats in the flat color until the surface is completely covered.

- thin the gloss paint with 50% -60% thinner. It will be water thin and translucent.

- Spray over the flat coverage until the color looks damp.

When dry, if the finish isn't shinny enough for you, add another light coat: repeat until you're happy with it. The finish will be a soft gloss/satin look that's not too shinny avoiding the toy appearance.

Posted Image

Workin' on it; fill...sand; rinse...repeat.
Edited by RJ Tucker, Oct 8 2017, 11:30 PM.

RJ
Phantoms phorever!

Goto Top

RJ Tucker
Member Avatar
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby
[ * ]
Logged some modeling time this week-end. I got the intakes, wings & bottom glued to the fuselage.

Posted Image

As you can see below, some pretty bad gaps around the bottom the fuselage where the intakes, center fuselage & wings come together. That gap behind the missile wells is common to every Fujimi Phantom I've ever built.

Posted Image

I'll place styrene strips in the gaps & sand them smooth. Much filling and sanding in my immediate future me thinks. :-/

RJ

RJ
Phantoms phorever!

Goto Top

RJ Tucker
Member Avatar
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby
[ * ]
Just like the EC-121R; but with twice the pix!*

Filling....and sanding..... filling...... sanding..... filling.......UGH! :-/

Pix when I've accomplished something interesting. :bh;

* just think about it; it'll come to ya'.

RJ
Phantoms phorever!

Goto Top

RJ Tucker
Member Avatar
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby
[ * ]
I finished the filling & sanding. I've moved on to the sub-assembles.

Posted Image

My favorite filler is Mr Surfacer primer. I apply the primer with a tooth pick & let it dry. I, then, moisten a piece of paper towel with eco-friendly lacquer thinner & wipe off the excess. This formula of thinner doesn't attack the plastic, so I don't obliterate the details sanding.

Posted Image

The gray primer filler is hard to see; notice the white styrene strips in the fuselage gap.

Next, I'll complete the cockpit, install the canopy & mask in preparation for painting. This project will sit idle until the EC-121R kit catches up & is ready to paint.

RJ
Phantoms phorever!

Goto Top

Ruudster
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
looking good RJ!
Ruud van der Salm
SW WA
OMS-IPMS, Portland OR
Goto Top

Graeme H
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Some really good quality modelling going on, glad you put a picture of the Eco thinners, was going to ask what it was when you had the picture a few weeks ago with the bottle top showing it.

I am fairly sure we do not have that here in Australia, if we do, I've never seen or heard of it.
Graeme
Goto Top

RJ Tucker
Member Avatar
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby
[ * ]
Graeme H
Nov 7 2017, 10:08 PM
Some really good quality modelling going on, glad you put a picture of the Eco thinners, was going to ask what it was when you had the picture a few weeks ago with the bottle top showing it.

I am fairly sure we do not have that here in Australia, if we do, I've never seen or heard of it.
Graeme,

According to the label, the "eco-friendly" lacquer thinner contains acetone, ethyl acetate, & methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) with less then 1% petroleum distillates. Regular lacquer thinner contains petroleum distillates, ethyl acetate, methanol & toluene.

Next time you're in a store's paint department look for the solvent with MEK etc & without petroleum distillates.

Hope that helps!

Good luck!

B)

RJ
Phantoms phorever!

Goto Top

RJ Tucker
Member Avatar
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby
[ * ]
Still working to catch-up the EC-121R, so they're both ready to paint. The F-4D is ready and waitng, waiting, waiting..... to paint. If you're familiar with the Fujimi F-4 series of kits, you know the cockpit combing molded into the fuselage halves looks nothing like the real thing. Here's the part from the Hasegawa kit:

Posted Image

Looks much more realistic; doesn't it? I'll spray the combing flat black, assemble the cockpit then start the camouflage.

RJ
Phantoms phorever!

Goto Top

jvenables
Member Avatar
Hawk
[ * ]
Graeme H
...glad you put a picture of the Eco thinners, was going to ask what it was when you had the picture a few weeks ago with the bottle top showing it.
Me too. But I assumed the photo of the can was a bit of a joke - eco-friendly lacquer thinner?!! That sounds a bit like "biodegradable nuclear waste". Substances like acetone, ethyl acetate, & methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) are hardly eco-friendly. The impure science of marketing, huh?

Nevertheless, great work on the Phantom. I have a few Fujimi F-4s (and some Esci which I reckon are nice kits too) to be finished in Vietnam colours & markings (mostly using Wolfpak decals) so I'm following this build with interest. I didn't know about the updated cockpit - something to add to the memory bank.
James from Brisbane, Australia
Now living in Laos

Nil illegitimi carborundum
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
The court of LAST RESORT!
[ * ]
I did an F-4D long ago. I need to do another Phantom sometime.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: NONE
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40
Revell MiG-21F-13, Ace Citroen V-11
Goto Top

RJ Tucker
Member Avatar
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby
[ * ]
jvenables
Jan 8 2018, 03:04 AM
Graeme H
...glad you put a picture of the Eco thinners, was going to ask what it was when you had the picture a few weeks ago with the bottle top showing it.
Me too. But I assumed the photo of the can was a bit of a joke - eco-friendly lacquer thinner?!! That sounds a bit like "biodegradable nuclear waste". Substances like acetone, ethyl acetate, & methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) are hardly eco-friendly. The impure science of marketing, huh?

Nevertheless, great work on the Phantom. I have a few Fujimi F-4s (and some Esci which I reckon are nice kits too) to be finished in Vietnam colours & markings (mostly using Wolfpak decals) so I'm following this build with interest. I didn't know about the updated cockpit - something to add to the memory bank.
Nope, no joke; that's what the product can looks like straight off the shelf of Home Depot. Weather it's, really, "eco-friendly" or not, it DOES NOT etch the plastic and dissolves lacquer & enamel based paints. What's not to love?! :yipee:

RJ
Phantoms phorever!

Goto Top

RJ Tucker
Member Avatar
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby
[ * ]
This model is in continual hold mode until the EC-121R catches up to start painting.

I did finish the cockpit using the Verlindin seats, Hasegawa and kit parts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Masked canopy parts are in place; I'll fill the gaps with white glue then paint.

:yipee:

RJ
Phantoms phorever!

Goto Top

RJ Tucker
Member Avatar
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby
[ * ]
Been awhile; I got frustrated, so I laid modeling aside for awhile. I played with my grand daughters, caught up on a few movies I've want to see, and read a couple of trashy novels with no redeeming value to my betterment or enlightenment.

Rained this past week-end, and I couldn't resist the siren call of the model bench. So I embarked on a marathon painting binge.

I painted the EC-121, the Phantom and some pieces/ parts.

Posted Image

The bottom color is a 50%-50% mix of Model Master enamel camo-gray and flat white paint .

Posted Image

The LGBs and afterburner cans are, also, MM paint. I'll spend the coming week painting and masking the topside camouflage scheme.

Over the hump and now it's down hill to the finish!

RJ
Phantoms phorever!

Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · In Progress Models · Next Topic »