Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Fine Molds Bf 109 K-4; Not OOB this time.
Topic Started: Jan 5 2015, 04:14 AM (8,919 Views)
Barry Numerick
Hero
[ * ]
Next on the 109 assembly line is the excellent Bf 109 K-4 from Fine Molds. This kit shares all of the outstanding attributes of the other FM 109s, but also has the soft cockpit detailing. The inspiration for this model comes from the very excellent book by Krzysztof W. Wotowski, Bf-109 Late Versions-Camouflage and Markings. If you have even a passing interest in late war Bf 109s, get this book. It is inexpensive, comprehensive, and in some cases, groundbreaking. It is one of my favorite references. Here is a review which includes sample pages:

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/bf-109-lat...ge-and-markings

First comes the deconstruction phase. The flaps and slats are removed with a razor saw.

Posted Image

Since the cockpit of the K-4 is decidedly different than the G models, the search for aftermarket begins. The only resin option is the AML set, which I believe was originally included with their 109 K kit. I sprayed the floor and sidewalls with Mr. Surfacer to check the quality of the resin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The set could provide a reasonable start, but the quality is not the best. So I will probably scratchbuild the starboard sidewall and take the unique parts from the floor to graft onto a better resin alternative. I have the MDC 1/32 K-4 cockpit set which is superb. It will provide a good 3d pattern.There are photo-etched sets from Eduard, but I prefer resin when available.
Goto Top

Big Kohona
Hero
[ * ]
I'll be looking forward to watch this build progress Barry ^_^

Too bad Aires did not produce a Bf.109K cockpit set. AML does have some interesting sets but as you point out, the quality could use some attention at times.

In this picture from internetmodeler, that same cockpit doesn't look too bad at all:
Posted Image
Goto Top

Ruudster
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Cool Barry!

I too love that book. It differs in opinion with other books (like the Japo one) but i think all books on late war Luft camo seem to disagree on some things (sometimes even the basics). The first chapter (where it breaks down the late war 109 versions and changes) is very well laid out and easily understood. The line drawings and profiles of the "standard" camouflage from each producer are also great. I only wish that the pictures would be of more of the planes covered in the profiles. Not a knock on this book, many books seem to do this. I'd just like to see the picture and the profile and learn a bit more.
Ruud van der Salm
SW WA
OMS-IPMS, Portland OR
Goto Top

dixieflyer
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
I always love your 109 builds Barry. I wish you'd just do a nice book : All The Cool Things You Can Build Using a Fine Molds Bf-109 Kit. ^_^
Looking forward to watching this one, and thanks for the book recommendation. Saved!

Warren
"History is the lie we all agree upon."
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
The court of LAST RESORT!
[ * ]
Will be watching this one. I also find that spraying resin with a light gray of some sort really allows you to see the details. I think a bunch of resin out there is of pretty poor quality.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: Tamiya A6M2
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40
Goto Top

Barry Numerick
Hero
[ * ]
Progress has been frustratingly slow on the 109 K, primarily due to the difficulty in replicating the circuit breaker panel. Here are the five attempts (with at least 3 clear failures):

Posted Image

On the first (top row left), I forgot how easily Testors liquid glue will mely .005" plastic card. The second was an unholy alliance of the Eduard center panel with Evergreen card. After that fail, I attempted to remove the photo-etched center panel. Well, that didn't work. The Eduard panel base is seen lower left. Not even close. The third panel in the top row will be used. It is a combination of .005" card, slices of stretched sprue and unimaginably awkwardly angled end pieces. They were cut with a straight edge razor blade and sanded to something resembling the original if you squint while observing in incredibly poor light while under the influence of a few adult beverages. It is rather small anyway, as demonstrated by the enormous toothpick (cocktail stick).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The cockpit foor is an old Cooper Details item intended for a Bf 109 G. To bring it to 109 K specs, I removed the boxes on the right side of the floor and added the gizmos from the AML 109 K set. The foot plate is much simplified from the prior 109 G item. This one was made from bits of .005" Evergreen sheet. There is still some cleaning up to be done, but at lease I've jolted forward from the starting gate.

The last photo is of a sister build that will be concurrent with the Karl. It is a conversion of a Fine Molds Bf 109 G-6 to a proper Avia S-199. When it progress a bit more I'll give it its own thread.

Posted Image

More soon.
Goto Top

Big Kohona
Hero
[ * ]
Barry Numerick,Jan 21 2015
09:03 PM
The last photo is of a sister build that will be concurrent with the Karl. It is a conversion of a Fine Molds Bf 109 G-6 to a proper Avia S-199. When it progress a bit more I'll give it its own thread.

Can't wait to see that one ^_^
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
The court of LAST RESORT!
[ * ]
Barry, you should cast your work. Talk to Roy Sutherland.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: Tamiya A6M2
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40
Goto Top

Big Kohona
Hero
[ * ]
Barry Numerick,Jan 21 2015
09:03 PM

Barry, I came across this build a while back. Can't read a lick of what's printed, but perhaps with will be of use to you as you work on your conversion.
Goto Top

Barry Numerick
Hero
[ * ]
Many thanks for this, Cliff. I have seen photos of the completed model on a Czech site, but not of its construction. Google translate is a great tool here. Just copy and paste for a reasonably good translation of the Polish text.
Goto Top

Barry Numerick
Hero
[ * ]
I'm finally making some progress with the cockpit. The right sidewall was completely scratchbuilt using plastic card and stretched sprue.

Posted Image

The instrument panel is the Eduard preprinted item, which is excellent. It is a three layer affair which did require a little attention. Some background areas had to be painted black and the instruments were covered with Future before assembly. The quality of the printing can't be appreciated without magnification.

Posted Image

Here's the right sidewall after painting and some detailing. The white wires are Detail Master fine coated wire while the oxygen hose is .020" solder.

Posted Image

The left sidewall is Cooper Details without alterations.

Posted Image

Finally, I've adjusted the cockpit floor to 109 K standards. The AML console has been added and an intercom lead wire was made from very fine copper wire.

Posted Image

There are still quite a few items to be added, trim wheels, rudder pedal straps, cannon breech cover, etc. It's actually a lot of work for about 1/2 cubic inch of area and much of it will be difficult to see due to the angle of the open canopy. But it is both fun and a challenge.

More soon and thanks for looking.
Goto Top

Ruudster
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Great work Barry. That IP does look great.
Ruud van der Salm
SW WA
OMS-IPMS, Portland OR
Goto Top

Barry Numerick
Hero
[ * ]
Just about ready to close up the fuselage. Here's the state of the cockpit. The Eduard preprinted instrument panel fits very well but some of the other items needed to be shoehorned into place. I used the kit firewall since it contained an instrument panel mount. It required some shimming, but nothing too extensive.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Goto Top

Big Kohona
Hero
[ * ]
Wow, talk about an eye popper! Absolutely fantastic cockpit Barry. ^_^
Goto Top

Air-to-Air
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Really enjoying the quality of your workmanship in this wip.
Rob
Port Stephens, Australia
I'm always keen to learn more.
Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · In Progress Completed Reference · Next Topic »