Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Buz's Build; Rareplane SB2U-1
Topic Started: Nov 22 2014, 08:23 PM (5,091 Views)
Buz Pezold
"There's no slack in building a vac"!
[ * ]
Not knowing the proper etiquette on this "Group Build" I've decided to start a sub-topic concerning my Work in Progress contribution to this thread so I don't clutter the "Pinned" Topic thread. B)

Starting my preparation with this kit I was going through my stash of references and I found my old copy of SCALE MODELER (January 1983). I bought this at my local hobby shop back then because the cover/article features the building of a WINGS 48 vacuform kit of the VOUGHT VINDICATOR, albeit in the wrong scale :P , by Bob Rice.

Posted Image

The article gives some detailed information on how the author completed his model, but like most magazines during that time frame the photos show only completed model shots. However, the article does give some insight and ideas towards my kit. I've always been interested in building a Vindicator since the 1970's, but for some reason its taking me all this time to actually start one! <_<

The photo below shows an Illustrated Parts Break down after I have removed them from the sheet backing:

Posted Image

I've decided to start working on the wings and stabilizers first.

Posted Image

As you can see in the above photo the molded detail is very soft. Actually the molded detail is USELESS in that the panels, ailerons, elevators, etc. are inaccurate! :angry: I will sand and fill as I go and then trace, scribe, cut and add other detail as I finish.

The fit:

Posted Image

Did I mention that the fit is less than desired? :blink:

I was going to use the RAREPLANE kit line drawings as a guide for fit tests:

Posted Image

.......but after further study I've found that kit line drawings and the molded kit are bit overscale (1/70 ?). :wacko:

Never fear! Dana Bell's book is near! :lol:

Posted Image

Although Dana's line drawings are in 1/48, I scaled it down to 67% on the copier and I'm back in "bidness"! ;)

The photo below shows the outer wings and horizontal stabs sanded to shape with all surface detail removed.

Posted Image

Utilizing the line drawings in Dana Bell's book I will add panel lines, rib detail, ailerons, elevators and etc. to the required parts. Right out the gate this kit is going to be a challenge, but its got me excited to see how this THING turns out! :ph43r:

More to come:
Geaux Tigers!
currently residing in Powder Springs, GA (USA)
Goto Top

693514V
Member Avatar
Fate the Magnificent
[ * ]
Lookin' smooth so far Buz............ :rolleyes:

Scott J
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Goto Top

Big Kohona
Hero
[ * ]
. .
Goto Top

Buz Pezold
[ * ]
Thanks, guys! Here's where I'm at and I'm getting ready to scribe and cut!

THE LINES DRAWN IN THE SAND! :o

Posted Image

Wish me luck! More later....
Geaux Tigers!
Goto Top

Buz Pezold
[ * ]
An update on my progress. Although the process has been slow with the onset of the holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) that has cut into my build time, I wanted to post something in order to generate the other contributors to post their progress. ;) I think the photo below sums up on what I've done so far. With this kit it is just the "tip" of the iceberg! :o When is the deadline for this build? June 2015! :o I don't know..... :blink:

Posted Image

Buz
Geaux Tigers!
Goto Top

dixieflyer
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Go Buz go!

Warren
"History is the lie we all agree upon."
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
The court of LAST RESORT!
[ * ]
Keep going! This thread isn't dead. I've been offline for three weeks due to work and holiday related issues. I am back and want to see this one move forward.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: NONE
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40
Revell MiG-21F-13, Ace Citroen V-11
Goto Top

InchHigh
Member Avatar
It's a good day to build.
[ * ]
This is certainly going the long way around the barn, Buz! Watching this is both intimidating and inspiring at the same time. I'll be following your build with great interest and hopefully picking up some tips. Best of luck!
Jeff

Time spent modeling is not deducted from your lifespan.

I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest of it I just wasted.
Goto Top

Buz Pezold
[ * ]
David sez:
Quote:

Keep going! This thread isn't dead.

I didn't think the tread was dead. I figured you were busy with things on your plate. ;)

Jeff also sez:
Quote:

This is certainly going the long way around the barn, Buz!

You're absolutely right, but I committed myself to build the RAREPLANE kit for the GROUP BUILD. I didn't realize until starting the model that this particular RAREPLANE kit is not one of Gordon Stevens' better offerings. Well, I want to make this into a decent display so I have no choice but to "reinvent the wheel" by just short of scratch building the entire kit. I think I will be OK as far as completing it. However, completing it in the time allotted is another story! :P

Buz :wacko:
Geaux Tigers!
Goto Top

Buz Pezold
[ * ]
Outer wing construction continues............
The following self explanitory photos show the progress on the outer wings which are all but complete.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The photo below shows wheel construction:

Posted Image

You may get the idea with outer wing photos that I plan to make my model with its wings folded! :rolleyes: The photos in Dana Bell's book have given me ideas! <_< Thanks, Dana! :angry: :lol:
Geaux Tigers!
Goto Top

Starfighter Decals
Hero
[ * ]
Beautiful! My next project after I finish my SBD-3 kit.
Goto Top

Stevehnz
Beast
[ * ]
Nice job on this, I built this kit as a Chesapeake getting on for 40 years ago now, can't say I showed quite the expertise or discernment that you have, in fact, I didn't pick any of those inaccuracies. I even painted its underside Azure Blue, as per the instructions, I can't begin to think where Gordon Stevens got that one from. Your yellow wings are much more attractive. :)
Steve.
Steve Hannah
New Zealand.
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
The court of LAST RESORT!
[ * ]
Loving it. Man, this is modeling.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: NONE
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40
Revell MiG-21F-13, Ace Citroen V-11
Goto Top

Buz Pezold
[ * ]
Mark (Starfighter), Steve and David,

Thank you for your kind comments!

Buz
Geaux Tigers!
Goto Top

Buz Pezold
[ * ]
Some more updates! :o

The next two photos shows the outer wings are all but completed:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have decided to use some more aftermarket items:

Posted Image
Of course this will be used during interior work! ;)

Speaking of interior work, the next two photos shows where I'm at with this: :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to come! :D
Geaux Tigers!
Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The SB2U "Skippy Smackdown" Group Build · Next Topic »