Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Stealth guesses; Testor, Monogram, Hasegawa
Topic Started: Aug 18 2015, 02:22 PM (1,899 Views)
Paul Boyer
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Back in the late 1980s, model manufacturers were tripping over themselves to make models of the new "stealth fighter." When photos of the real thing came out, we could see how wild and crazy everything was. I remember remarking to Testors' John Andrews how far off their F-19 model was, and he said, "But look at what we got right: Single-seat, twin-engine, twin canted fins, internal bomb bay, shrouded intakes and exhausts, passive sensors, and it's black!" Well, he had a point. To their credit, they quickly released kits of the F-117 that were pretty well shaped.

This trio includes the little-known 1/72 scale stealth kits by Testor/Italeri, Monogram (SnapTite), and the initial toylike kit by Hasegawa based on the initial photo of the Nighthawk revealed to the public. I put all three on Hasegawa stands and applied extra Two Bobs decals to each.

Posted Image
Goto Top

softscience
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Great display! I've always loved that Testor's kit. I wish they would re-issue it.

The Monogram kit I'm not familiar with. Looks like a cool design though. Is it available anywhere these days?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Greetings from beautiful Maryland,
Ralph K.
Goto Top

Paul Boyer
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Monogram made the 1/72 kit a SnapTite with no landing gear. They made the same design in 1/48 but with full gear. Not in production for a long time, but you might find them at vendor tables at conventions or on eBay.
Goto Top

Dukeallen
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
softscience,Aug 18 2015
03:49 PM
Great display! I've always loved that Testor's kit. I wish they would re-issue it.

The Monogram kit I'm not familiar with. Looks like a cool design though. Is it available anywhere these days?

Ebay is your friend, in this case. I've recently bought both the Monogram snap ("Glows with black light"!) and 1/72 Testors kits, to do some reliving of my youth. FYI if you move up to 1/48 the Monogram kit has landing gear, a rotating bomb bay and a "stealth missile".

Love these builds too, Paul ^_^
Goto Top

philp
[ *  * ]
I picked up the Testors one last year and am still looking for the Monogram version.

Thinking of doing the Testors one in Euro I camo and maybe try to simulate the one from Clancy's Red Storm Rising. Still one of my favorite reads along with Team Yankee by Coyle.

I just laugh about the Hasagawa one but when you compare it to the angle of the original photo released by the Air Force, you can see it.
Goto Top

bearmatt
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
Nice collection Paul! I love those early stealth birds. I actually started the monogram one (1/72 including landing gear in the kit, which came from a Hornet...) and also Revells ATB :-)
But that may take a while till completion... :lol:

Cheers

b.
Goto Top

kingofmen
Member Avatar
Least
[ * ]
Bummer. I've built the Testors Stealth but didn't realize that the Monogram one (which has an interesting shape) didn't come with landing gear. I always build em on the ground.
Kevin Callahan
Auburn WA USA
Visit the re-energized 72 Land blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/
All hail 1:72!
Goto Top

J.C. Bahr
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
kingofmen,Jul 13 2016
12:26 AM
Bummer. I've built the Testors Stealth but didn't realize that the Monogram one (which has an interesting shape) didn't come with landing gear. I always build em on the ground.

Probably wouldn't be hard to cannibalize the gear from an F-19 and open up the gear bays and scratch-build them. The 1/48 Monogram kit had nearly the identical same gear as the Testors F-19 setup, by what I recall.
J.C. Bahr

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · The Paul Boyer Collection · Next Topic »