Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
SAM 26000; Heller Air Force One
Topic Started: Aug 22 2015, 03:49 PM (722 Views)
Paul Boyer
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
This is the Heller Air Force One kit done up with replacement decals from Mike Grant. This was the last model I finished for FSM before my "retirement" and the second in my Air Force One collection. I had Colors for Miniatures make batches of acrylic lacquer in the correct light and medium blue shades. This was the intercontinental "big wing" version of the 707 which Heller provides right out of the box.

Posted Image
Goto Top

f4h1phantom
Member Avatar
kitkiller
[ * ]
Absolutely gorgeous! ^_^

Jorge.
Goto Top

Moggy
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Fantastic model... After looking at your Air Force One I feel my Heller 707 calling to me ... ;)
Cheers, Moggy

WIP: HAS F-86D RDAF, HAS Lockheed P2V-7 Neptune ANA, ITA G.222 AE-260 Argentina, SH Meteor Mk.4, AX Bristol Freighter Mk.1 FAA
Goto Top

Big Kohona
Hero
[ * ]
. .
Goto Top

Paul Boyer
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
If there is anything "classified" about them, it might be the composition of the paint formula. Nothing classified about the actual colors as I have the official color chips in the little black envelopes with the little windows in the front. "Boeing Color Standard"
"Blue 5071" - the light color
"Blue 5070" - the medium blue
Goto Top

softscience
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Beautiful!

Which president's plane was this?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Greetings from beautiful Maryland,
Ralph K.
Goto Top

Big Kohona
Hero
[ * ]
. .
Goto Top

ww2nut
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Still a great looking aircraft and scheme after all these years. Very nice rendition!
Goto Top

Paul Boyer
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Special Air Mission (SAM) 26000 was the prime presidential transport from Kennedy (used on the Dallas trip), Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, and Bush (41). A duplicate, SAM 27000 alternated with it starting with Nixon. This same paint scheme, designed by Raymond Loewy, was applied to the three back-up VC-137Bs, the smaller 707-153s used since the late Eisenhower period. SAM 26000 is at the Museum of the U.S. Air Force in Dayton, and SAM 27000 is at the Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California. One of the VC-137Bs is at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, another is at Pima Air Museum; not sure about the third.

The prime 707s were replaced by two 747-200B (VC-25A, SAM 28000 and SAM 29000) in 1990 (Bush 41). I've got one of those underway!
Goto Top

RayS
Member Avatar
One day......
[ * ]
Paul Boyer,Aug 23 2015
01:18 PM
If there is anything "classified" about them, it might be the composition of the paint formula. Nothing classified about the actual colors as I have the official color chips in the little black envelopes with the little windows in the front. "Boeing Color Standard"

I have these colours in the Xtracolor range. Have not checked to see how authentic they are yet.

I am loving all these large Boeings Paul, any more in the collection?
Ray Seppala
Canberra, Australia

Posted Image
Goto Top

Paul Boyer
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
RayS,Aug 24 2015
12:14 AM
Paul Boyer,Aug 23 2015

I have these colours in the Xtracolor range. Have not checked to see how authentic they are yet.

I assume you saw the pic of "Queenie"?

In a few months (I hope) I'll have the VC-25 done. Wing, tailplanes, fin, and landing gear are finished; just have to assemble and paint the seven-piece fuselage. And then decal. Lots of work ahead.
Goto Top

RayS
Member Avatar
One day......
[ * ]
Paul Boyer,Aug 24 2015
12:09 PM
RayS,Aug 24 2015
12:14 AM
Paul Boyer,Aug 23 2015

I assume you saw the pic of "Queenie"?

In a few months (I hope) I'll have the VC-25 done. Wing, tailplanes, fin, and landing gear are finished; just have to assemble and paint the seven-piece fuselage. And then decal. Lots of work ahead.

Yes I saw 'Queenie'.

I am a member of the 72USMilAir group as well so most of the pictures you are posting I have seen over there. I did not recall seeing the E-8 though and figured maybe you had some more multi-engined gems that I had not seen previously.

Are you adding any of the missed features to the Anigrand VC-25? or building pretty much OOB?
Ray Seppala
Canberra, Australia

Posted Image
Goto Top

Paul Boyer
Member Avatar
Hero
[ * ]
Pretty much out of the box. I'll change some of the obvious antennas on the spine, but I didn't try to put the I.R. devices on the back of the engine pylons, mostly because the pylons aren't the right shape because the engines aren't the right engines. But for the 99.9% of the folks who will see this model, it will look like the Air Force One they've seen on TV and photos. I have, however, glued in, filled, and sanded smooth all of the cabin windows. They were obviously much too large and misshapen. I'm using available Boeing window decals instead. This will also make it much easier to paint. Stay tuned.
Goto Top

philp
[ *  * ]
I got pics of 26000 during the Nats last month.
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · The Paul Boyer Collection · Next Topic »