Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to 72nd Aircraft. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Uncle Navy Bird's Complete Waste of Time 2015
Topic Started: Feb 21 2016, 09:59 PM (646 Views)
Navy Bird
Member Avatar
Beast
[ * ]
Hi mates,

Even though I guaranteed I would do better in 2015 than I did in 2014, I ended up with only four models completed in 2015. So much for my guarantee! Unfortunately, reality struck once again as I not only moved into the second phase of my cancer treatments, but my wife had four surgeries on her right eye. Thanks to God and Western Medical Science, I killed a lot of cancer cells and my wife's vision was saved. I think these two results, even though they took away from my time at the workbench, are the more important results from 2015! :)

I retired on June 5, 2015, with the hope that I would be able to spend more time with my hobbies. That didn't happen, and not just because of the medical issues. I found out that playing with the grandchildren is a lot of fun! My oldest even built her first Airfix kit this past year, with very little help from me.

If things can settle down on the medical front, perhaps 2016 will find more than four new models in the Navy Bird display case. But if not, as long as I'm still on this side of the grass and able to enjoy the family, so be it!

So on with the four completions from 2015:

1:72 Brewster B-339E Buffalo Mk.I (completed in February 2015)
Special Hobby

This is essentially an out-of-the-box build, but that's because Special Hobby provides a beautiful set of resin detail parts so you really don't need much aftermarket. The only parts that weren't in the kit are the photoetch seat harnesses, photoetch landing lights, aerial wire, and a vacuform sliding canopy. Gotta love the tubby little gal...even though the kit had the "mother of all gaps."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a picture of two "Snifters" - the Buffalo and Beaufort. Snifter is the cartoon dog in the nose art:

Posted Image

1:72 Vought F-8J Crusader (completed in April 2015)
Academy

The Crusader has always fascinated me, since it's such a dichotomy. Winner of many aerospace awards for technical achievement, yet a very dangerous aircraft to fly based on its accident record. Known affectionately as the "Last of the Gunfighters," yet it achieved the overwhelming majority of its combat kills with missiles. Nonetheless, it looks the part - it's menacing yet graceful, both important attributes of a fighter jet. In its day, many Naval Aviators preferred the Crusader to the Phantom II, and that says a lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

How about one of the Crusader with its Vought predecessor the F7U Cutlass - the Vought engineers were always thinking outside the box:

Posted Image

1:72 McDonnell Douglas F-4S Phantom II (completed in July 2015)
Hasegawa

I have a confession to make. I hate grey jets. Really. But I like pointy planes that go fast. What to do? Find colorful prototype, retirement or anniversary schemes and just say no to low viz! So that's what I did. I built this for the F-4 Single Type Group Build on Britmodeller.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the F-4S with an F-4EJ Kai which I built a few years back. See what I mean about colorful?

Posted Image

1:72 Fairey Firefly FR.I (completed in mid-January 2016 - but started in August 2015, so I think it belongs in this year's edition!)
Special Hobby

This early mark of the Firefly is part of a dual build that I started last summer. In addition to the FR.I, there is a TT.4 but it was finished in February of 2016. I started them both at the same time, but the TT.4 took longer since I decided to fold the wings, which required a lot of scratchbuilding. It will take its place in next year's edition of my Complete Waste of Time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A little sneak preview of the Firefly FR.1 with the TT.4 and a Gannet thrown in for good measure - a family portrait of sorts:

Posted Image

Well, that's my pathetic output for 2015. I wish I could show some pictures of cancer cells being terminated with extreme prejudice, but I haven't found any yet. Rest assured that's one hobby I really enjoyed doing in 2015! :) :) :)

Cheers,
Bill
Bill Gilman
Rochester, NY USA

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!
Goto Top

JKing
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Uncle Navy Bird:

I believe your chosen leisure time activity has been VERY succesful! Sounds like you licked the big C and finished some outstanding models! I would consider your 2015 to be a year of great outcomes! Continued success for a LONG time, sir!

Jim
Jim Kingsolver
1/72 WWII Aircraft collector/builder
Goto Top

dknights
Member Avatar
The court of LAST RESORT!
[ * ]
Just freaking beautiful.
David M. Knights
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

14 Finished: Special Armor V-2, Airfix P-51
15 Finished: SBS Gladiator engine
16 Finished: Brengun C2 Wasserfall, Merit SS-N-2 Styx, World's smallest diorama, Airfix Hurricane.
17 Finished: Japanese Carrier Deck, Belcher SS-4, Italeri AB41, PLAN Type 039A (not 72nd scale)
18 Finished: NONE
The bench:Platz T-33, Trump. T-34/85, Meng F-106, Airfix P-51 #2, Airfix P-40
Revell MiG-21F-13, Ace Citroen V-11
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Models Produced in 2015 · Next Topic »