AMSIG logo
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to AMSIG Airfix Modeling Special Interest Group part of the IPMS(UK) network.
Membership of AMSIG is open to modellers of all abilities whatever their age, gender or nationality, there are no entry requirements other than wanting to enjoy the Airfix brand. Most of us are modellers but those who prefer just to collect, or research, or talk about Airfix are welcome too.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

To join, please simply register above.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
The Model Show Poynton 10/11 December 2016
Topic Started: Dec 10 2016, 09:59 PM (488 Views)
ColinM
Member Avatar

Photos and show reports will be posted here, probably tomorrow.

Colin
OFFLINE Profile Quote Goto Top

thomasweir
Member Avatar
Administrator
A great two days spent in splendid company. The show was busier than previous years with an average of 350 a day which doesn't sound a lot but some of the shows we've attended this year have struggled to reach 35 people.
We did demos this year. Ant painting figures and building armour and Ian creating fire.

Upon driving back I spotted Elvis's Restaurant just outside Poynton. Food cooked by the King himself. I think a visit there next year for our Saturday Dinner is in order. The Kings Gutbuster Burger all round :fear:
ONLINE* Profile Quote Goto Top

ColinM
Member Avatar

The company was indeed excellent and overall an enjoyable event. That said the show was advertised has being much larger than the previous one with additional rooms and features but for reasons various most of those changes didn't happen. We were expecting 96 sq. ft. of table space as last year, instead on arrival we had 48 sq. ft. for display and a further 12 sq. ft. for demonstrations so a lot of kits stayed in their boxes.

The show is a mix of working railway layouts, model and R/C boats. R/C aircraft and 'proper' plastic modelling and some impressive paper models and scratch built models so we tried to mix in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A new feature this year was sales tables for clubs so Mrs ColinM (Caroline) joined us for the weekend to run the 'shop'. Total sales were £156 which was pretty good considering how few plastic modellers were present but the £40 table fee took a big chunk out of the takings. Not sure I would bother next time.

Posted Image

Many of the kits on display had been built for Telford and other recent shows so will be familiar but they all attracted a lot of attention. Many of Tom's latest builds had their first outing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ian's FIRE! effects got, quite rightly, a lot of attention.

Posted Image

A lot of families visited and the Revel and Airfix Quick Builds were popular

Posted Image

More follow

Colin

Edited by ColinM, Jul 4 2017, 03:24 PM.

ColinM
Member Avatar

A few non-Airfix may have crept on the table but no one noticed...

Posted Image

A fine model by Tom of a Type 45 ship on my favourite base from Coastal Kits, a lot of visitors agreed.

Posted Image

A frequent comment on our displays is we don't have many ships...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ian has been delving into the black arts and produced a running LED welcome message

Posted Image

Possibly the best display at the show, a group of huge scratch built Sci-Fi vessels, Galactica is six feet long

Posted Image

Posted Image

More follows

Colin
Edited by ColinM, Jul 4 2017, 03:30 PM.

ColinM
Member Avatar

Ian has been experimenting with some programmable circuits, batteries and the remains of my last Christmas tree to great effect and much interest from visitors

Posted Image

A member of the public called the fire brigade, Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew and Cuthbert responded, Dibble was on hand to take the photo and Grubb was minding the shop

Posted Image

Finally a couple of superb airworthy models, especially nice to see a Beaufighter

Posted Image

and a proper jet

Posted Image

Colin
Edited by ColinM, Jul 4 2017, 03:33 PM.

Andykirby61
Member Avatar

Excellent display glad you had a good time .

Atric

Lovely display, very neatly laid out with a good variety. Some non-Airfix - how dreadful!

IanW

As the others have said, another enjoyable two days at Poynton with quite a good level of visitor interaction.

A few overall photos of the display taken during the setup - Colin having already posted some close ups.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

One new aspect for us, requested by the organisers, was to attempt some form of demonstration of modelling techniques to try to increase interaction.
Ant was doing his usual - attempting to build and paint one of his early bird purchases and Colin, when he had time to spare from his 'retail outlet' task, did sterling work on the quickbuild front, which seemed to attract attention from the younger generation of the visitors.

Ant attempting to break the record for buildinq an Aifix model while Gary looks on.

Posted Image

I spent some of Saturday attempting to remove some of the 'suboptimal features' of the Arduino codeing that controls the fire on my latest build - the Airfix resin European Cafe - and then working on the mk2 version. This generated an interesting conversation with one of the model railway guys, who has also been playing with the Arduino.

Quite pleased with the level of interest the burning cafe generated - definitely attracts the youngsters and also caused some adults to break into a smile. Given that the hall has been upgraded with led lighting I was surprised how well the fire effect showed up, including the 'sparks' feature created via the fibre optic from Colin's old Christmas tree, although the sparks do not show up on this photo.
Posted Image

Edited by IanW, Dec 12 2016, 12:18 PM.

IanW

Part the 2nd..
On Sunday I decided to attempt to produce a small scene to display the mk2 version of the fire by creating a small bonfire on a length of corrugated cardboard - seemed to work quite well and I even managed to optimise the code to create a reasonable depiction of rising sparks that had been part of my initial idea for the project.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Managed to photo the sparks!
Posted ImagePosted Image

I think the idea of demoing was a qualified success and would be willing to give it another try next year.

One thing I took away from the show was that many visitors are attracted by the diorama aspects of the hobby, as I spent quite a lot of time answering questions on how I produced the water effects, particularly the water plumes in the Iron Duke diorama.

One aspect of the demoing I found tricky was trying to avoid the tendancy to concentrate too much on the 'head down and busy' side of the task rather than engaging with the public, which is something that I have often seen when clubs stands include demoing.
Edited by IanW, Dec 12 2016, 06:09 PM.

roadhousedisco
Member Avatar

Hi all,

it looks like you all had a good time. The display looks great and different from the 'normal' display. The diorama's do attract a lot of interest. They can be seen as more interesting visually than a single model or a row of props or jets.

Ian, your LED display looks great as do your fire builds. I know that we all have a lot going on, but maybe some point down the line, perhaps we could do a 'fire' group build?

Mark.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · AMSIG Show Reports 2016 · Next Topic »

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket