AMSIG logo
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to AMSIG Airfix Modeling Special Interest Group part of the IPMS(UK) network.
Membership of AMSIG is open to modellers of all abilities whatever their age, gender or nationality, there are no entry requirements other than wanting to enjoy the Airfix brand. Most of us are modellers but those who prefer just to collect, or research, or talk about Airfix are welcome too.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

To join, please simply register above.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
Urgent message to all Photobucket users
Topic Started: Jun 30 2017, 08:39 PM (1,049 Views)
ColinM
Member Avatar

Photobucket have changed their Terms of Use and have decided that users can no longer link forum posts to photos stored on PB's servers. They call this 3rd Party Hosting. This hasn't been applied to all users yet (Tim and Fred have been affected so far) but as PB work through their many millions of users it will only be a matter of days.

You will know when you have been affected when your posts look like Tim's

http://s15.zetaboards.com/AMSIG/topic/7935729/1/

Your photos are still on PB and you can view and download them when you log in to their site but any links to those photos on here or anywhere else won't work.

Photobucket now offer three packages and frankly I wouldn't sign up for any of them.

Plus 50 offers 50GB of Storage and No Linking or 3rd Party Hosting No good for Forum photos
Plus 100 offers 100GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and No 3rd Party Hosting No good for Forum posts
Plus 500 offers 500GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and 3rd Party Hosting Only Costs $39.99 a month or $399.99 a year!

That's right over £300 a year.

There are many other hosting sites out there, some free some paid for but all are cheaper than the Photobucket offer.

Flickr is free and carries far less advertising than PB and allows links from forums so that the images display on the forum page (roadhousedisco uses it all of the time and I will be from tomorrow). Dropbox offers 2GB of free storage to anyone which is great for data backup and you can link back to an image but I don't think it will display the image within a post. I know Picturetrail works well, if anyone has other recommendations please post them here.

I don't know why Photobucket have taken this action but I expect they will have far fewer users this time next week.

Colin
Edited by ColinM, Jun 30 2017, 08:42 PM.
ONLINE* Profile Quote Goto Top

hewman100

:blink: :think: :doh: :jaw: :fear: :angry:
I think that sums it up

ColinM
Member Avatar

It has certainly surprised a lot of people. I can't get too upset by a company taking away what was a free service (and a very expensive one to provide) but advance notice and a modest monthly fee would have been acceptable to many.

As a PR disaster I think it ranks above Gerald Ratner and his prawn sandwich speech.

Colin

Roger 410

Thanks for that info Colin

I have not been able to get mine to work for six months.

Roger.
OFFLINE Profile Quote Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar

ive just signed up for smugmug there is a small fee however it has unlimited storage and allows 3rd party hosting and activley encourages it

and its add free, for me i have much of the graphics from mmm hosted on photobucket, so i need to move fast

IanW

Seems like 'legalised ransomware' to me - given that some people are allegedly complaining that they cannot get at their photos.

fred

That might just be an overload of the system or PB breaking down again.
I've just spent the last few hours on PB noting down what I have on there.

Mark; never heard of smugmug till you wrote it. I'm trying it out now too

Mark M
Member Avatar

fred
Jul 1 2017, 12:24 PM
That might just be an overload of the system or PB breaking down again.
I've just spent the last few hours on PB noting down what I have on there.

Mark; never heard of smugmug till you wrote it. I'm trying it out now too
i really like smug mug for ease of use and they openly support forums so good for me

DH764
Member Avatar
Its Tonka-Time !!
Gents ......the biggest act of commercial suicide in history 😂
Joking aside....forums in meltdown and lots of time needed to replace lost images .
I've been using Flickr for the past few years and it's great.....Flickr all the way ....easy peasy and 1 TB of space ....ill let computer wiz Colin explain just how much that is ....its a HELL of a lot of FREE hosting 👍👍

Andy

DH764
Member Avatar
Its Tonka-Time !!
Strange .....my PB images are still showing !

HERE

:think:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · AMSIG Forum News · Next Topic »
  • Pages:

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket