AMSIG logo
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to AMSIG Airfix Modeling Special Interest Group part of the IPMS(UK) network.
Membership of AMSIG is open to modellers of all abilities whatever their age, gender or nationality, there are no entry requirements other than wanting to enjoy the Airfix brand. Most of us are modellers but those who prefer just to collect, or research, or talk about Airfix are welcome too.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

To join, please simply register above.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Airfix new for 2018
Topic Started: Jan 9 2018, 09:26 PM (191 Views)
Andykirby61
Member Avatar

Very underwhelming nothing to really grab my attention especially some of the prices . The 1:72nd figures have so much flash on them they are useless. I get you can get them cheaper on eBay . The only one that I would possibly be tempted would be the hunter but only in the Royal Navy version . All recently new re releases with different decals that have already been done by decal manufacturers . I fill they have taken a serious step backwards . They will survive I hope I am a die hard fan of Airfix But think they should take a look at the decent back catalogue they still have
OFFLINE Profile Quote Goto Top

ColinM
Member Avatar

The kits I enjoyed building most in the last few months have been the large scale guns and the Crusader tank, mainly because to me they were something different. Although I would like some of the new tool aircraft I still have a large cupboard full of classic old tool aircraft to be built so I will be concentrating on those.

I know aircraft will sell, they always do but even armchair pilots like me like some variety.

Colin

thomasweir
Member Avatar
Administrator
Like Andy, very underwhelmed with this years release schedule.
No new tool modern jets i.e Tornado, Eurofighter Typhoon, F-35. We know they sell as Revell, italeri, Hobbyboss, Hasegawa etc,etc etc all make them.

Yes the Bae Hawk is in the release schedule but a Hawk like the Spitfire and Lancaster is a permanent fixture in the catalogue.

On the plus side, the Vampire is a nice kit which goes together well. As a series 2 you can get four for a £5 under the Flying Hour scheme or wait and get one for a £5 at aldi this Christmas ;)

Wellington and Hawk will be flying hour purchases along with the Sea Fury and F-4s if any left.

Hunter money will be spent on Revell's superb 1/72 Hunter RAF 100th anniversary reissue instead.

With the Sea King being released as a non starter kit, its meant its previous yellow incarnation has dropped in price considerably on ebay so thats where I'll be headed as I've already built a 78Sqn cab.

Beany
Member Avatar

Like you guys, I am also a bit disappointed with the releases, although I can't help feeling that we should maybe be grateful that Airfix are not only still trading but that there are new tools still appearing at all at the moment.
I'll need at least one of the new FGR.1, the toom being my all time fav jet, and I fancy the Me262 B.1a as an Avia CS92, just to be different, and because there were only three CS92s built.

fred

Is that Navy marking option on the Gnat a Whif or from a film? [Top Gun?]
ONLINE* Profile Quote Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar

fred
Jan 10 2018, 03:03 PM
Is that Navy marking option on the Gnat a Whif or from a film? [Top Gun?]
From the film 'Hot Shots'. An inspired choice going by the amount of chat on the forums and Facebook, they might have considered making it the box art.

roadhousedisco
Member Avatar

Hi all,

I have been waiting for the last few years for Airfix to release an F-35. I thought with this being the RAF100 year that this would be the year. Sadly it's not to be it seems. But that set me thinking as to why.

Could it be that one of the factors we forget to take into consideration is liscencing and exclusivity?

Now, this may apply to more than just the F-35. What if Lockheed are asking a silly price from Airfix for them to produce the F-35 that others have either just paid, or negotiated a better deal. Could this also be the reason why we have not seen any new ships or cars recently? Or why certain moulds have not been re-released? Revell, for example, may have struck a deal to be the only model company allowed to make, let's say, Ford cars as models.

As I say, it's just a thought.

Mark.

fred

Well your thoughts have some validity.
I see on the new Airfix Phantom box it has a hologram label 'Boeing Officially Licensed Product'
Not too long ago Ferrari put its licensing fees out of reach of the model and toy makers. Matchbox pulled its Ferrari cars and I think Revell stopped doing them once their stock was used up.
Airfix was going to re-issue the 1/32 Maserati Indy car kit a few years ago and allegedly Maserati wanted an astronomic licensing fee

peebeep
Member Avatar

Mark, intellectual property and licensing could well be an issue. A number of Airfix products already already carry acknowledgement of this. With the F-35 I think that there is another factor. If they issue it on the strength of being RAF equipment, what schemes do they offer with it? It wouldn't be the first time a kit manufacturer has kept their powder dry by waiting for in-service examples to offer as decal options. One other thing, I suspect that anniversaries don't have the impact on sales that we might think they have.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · AMSIG Chat · Next Topic »

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket