AMSIG logo
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to AMSIG Airfix Modeling Special Interest Group part of the IPMS(UK) network.
Membership of AMSIG is open to modellers of all abilities whatever their age, gender or nationality, there are no entry requirements other than wanting to enjoy the Airfix brand. Most of us are modellers but those who prefer just to collect, or research, or talk about Airfix are welcome too.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

To join, please simply register above.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
Beagle Basset and DHC Beaver
Topic Started: Jul 28 2015, 10:16 PM (1,307 Views)
thomasweir
Member Avatar
Administrator
Having been away over the weekend and out of contact from any online announcements it was a pleasant surprise to see the Basset and Beaver were the latest kits to be kick started. A few days in, the Basset is at 30% of funding and the Beaver 18% which looks promising and hopefully they will go in production.
The price has been reduced from £20 to £15 which may be attracting more backers.

Unlike official kick starter projects which inform you of a target fund to be achieved, a period of time for the project to be funded (31 days usually) and an estimated delivery period, Airfix gives you none of these. Reading through their kick starter forum I gather for the first project kits (the birds) they were estimating a run of 500 at £20 a pop. £10K is not a lot in kick starter land and I suggest they now drop the birds, cars and perhaps the black prince as none of them have achieved the launch target after many weeks.
OFFLINE Profile Quote Goto Top

ColinM
Member Avatar

I don't think Airfix have fully understood the concept. I picked up an early Beagle Basset for £12 at a show a year or two back (thanks Geoff!) It is a series 2 kit which puts it in Angel Interceptor territory, £7.99 from Amazon. It isn't very big and of limited appeal to casual modellers. I bought a 1911 Rolls Royce last year from a trader for £4.

Rather than trying to adopt a Kick Start model which they clearly don't understand, why don't they just run a cheap survey on Survey Monkey or similar 'What would you like to see re-released?' and produce whatever wins with 1000 plus votes?

Colin
ONLINE* Profile Quote Goto Top

Beany
Member Avatar

I agree with Colin. Initially I thought Kick Starter sounded like a good idea but then just felt that the prices being quoted were not competitive enough to those of us that are quite savvy with eBay. I am also annoyed at the apparent lack of research done by Airfix leading to many totally pointless posts and discussions on their forum about kits that even I knew could never be done because the moulds had long been lost or destroyed. I've given up on the whole idea I'm afraid and wont waste any more time reading about it on their forum (= more time to spend here now I've finally found you!).

thomasweir
Member Avatar
Administrator
The only one I would consider backing would be the VC-10 if that got kick started. Ant found me a MPC boxed Basset for £10 at the last show we did.

IanW

Perhaps we should rent Ant out as an AMSIG service!

ColinM
Member Avatar

Airfix should employ Ant to tell them the true street value of their back catalogue.

Colin

ColinM
Member Avatar

The Basset is now at 44%, the Beaver at 28%. I see on the Airfix site that the kits, if they ever do get produced, will be manufactured in India and longer delivery times should be expected as a result and we should also expect that some flash and other 'minor age related flaws' may be present. Also, the kit will be supplied in plain packaging but there is a helpful link to a download of the original instructions and the promise of a list of which Humbrol paints will be needed.

They aren't selling it to me.

Colin

thomasweir
Member Avatar
Administrator
After two weeks the Basset is at 44% and the Beaver 28%. Looks like the projects stalling again.

roadhousedisco
Member Avatar

I personally don't think any of these will ever get off the ground. It just doesn't seem like it's advertised enough by Airfix as to what they are trying to do. I don't do Facebook or Twitter or anything, just visit a few forums, and it's only through someone visiting Airfix and posting about it here, that I have heard about it. Why aren't Airfix being pro active and getting out in to the modelling community and telling more people about it. They don't appear to have contacted any of the on line modelling forums, or SIG's or various IPMS Clubs. Please correct me if I am wrong. It's almost like a secret project for just the few in the know.

Ahh, that feels better.

Mark.

thomasweir
Member Avatar
Administrator
It sure is a secret. If you entered the website via the Airfix shop you would not know Kickstarter even existed. Doesn't appear on the site map either :chair:

The security certificate for checking out has expired as well which will deter most backers :blink:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Airfix Kick Starter · Next Topic »
  • Pages:

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket