AMSIG logo
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to AMSIG Airfix Modeling Special Interest Group part of the IPMS(UK) network.
Membership of AMSIG is open to modellers of all abilities whatever their age, gender or nationality, there are no entry requirements other than wanting to enjoy the Airfix brand. Most of us are modellers but those who prefer just to collect, or research, or talk about Airfix are welcome too.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

To join, please simply register above.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Hawker Hurricane I 1/48
Topic Started: Aug 4 2015, 12:26 AM (221 Views)
peebeep
Member Avatar

Here is the latest offering from Airfix of Hawker's finest:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Occasionally a kit comes along that looks so impressive that your flabber is well and truly gasted. This is such an occasion. Where to start? Fine panel lines, very nice detailing, a complete and highly detailed cockpit, very busy looking gear bays, optional gun bays - it's just all there. The only possible thing you might think they could have added are Eduard style rivets, but I'm happy to add my own with an appropriate tool, should I want them. Airfix have included DH and Rotol props and the eagle eyed will have noticed the alternative parts on the sprues, such as arrestor hook and tropical filter. That means there will be at least one more iteration from this tooling. The transparencies, usually a weakness with Airfix kits, are rather good, being thin, glossy, clear and with none of the visible flow marks often apparent. The decals are nicely printed and the colours look satisfactorily dense.

Instruction sheet is the now standard format from Airfix, half tone graphics with previous sub-assemblies highlighted in brick red. The colour guides are comprehensive and well printed:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Airfix have blown not only their own old kit into the weeds, but also more recent and good quality offerings from elsewhere. I can't find anything to dislike about this new kit, although obviously how well it builds may be another matter. There's little that could be added, although existing PE sets will provide nice instrument panels, cockpit details, seat harnesses etc,. and sooner or later dedicated sets will appear. This is a very nice kit from Airfix, highly recommended to WWII fans and casual builders that like the fine things in life.

peebeep
ONLINE* Profile Quote Goto Top

roadhousedisco
Member Avatar

I like the fact that they have added additional information in the description in the colour/decal guide.
ONLINE* Profile Quote Goto Top

fred

I'm persuaded. I'm posting my order to Airfix for one of these today
OFFLINE Profile Quote Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · In Box Reviews · Next Topic »

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket