AMSIG logo
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to AMSIG Airfix Modeling Special Interest Group part of the IPMS(UK) network.
Membership of AMSIG is open to modellers of all abilities whatever their age, gender or nationality, there are no entry requirements other than wanting to enjoy the Airfix brand. Most of us are modellers but those who prefer just to collect, or research, or talk about Airfix are welcome too.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

To join, please simply register above.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Nakajima B5N2 'Kate' 1/72
Topic Started: Oct 5 2015, 09:47 PM (435 Views)
peebeep
Member Avatar

New kits of Japanese aircraft are a bit of a rarity, so I thought I'd investigate this Airfix newbie.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

As with the latest crop of Airfix releases, the parts have plenty of detail with finely done engraved panel lines. There is some innovative engineering with the cockpit floor and consoles being moulded onto the upper wing component. The interior is generally well done and worth the effort given the amount of glazing on this aircraft. The engine and cowling are nicely done, although given the limitations of injection moulding there is scope for the resin boys to work up some aftermarket parts. All the control surfaces are separate and there are options for deployed flaps, folding wings, permutations on canopy hood positioning and an excellent choice of weapons. The wing fold parts and weapons are very credibly detailed. Decals are printed very nicely and there are two schemes to choose from, a Pearl Harbour period machine from the carrier Shokaku and a 553rd Kokutai aircraft. One slight glitch with the Shokaku aircraft paint instructions, the colour descriptions for paints 116 and 168 have been mixed up (but are shown correctly as illustrated). One glitch with my kit is that one of the canopy parts was broken (bottom pic), but I doubt there would be any problem getting a replacement should I want to use it.

Given that this is medium sized, single engine aircraft I did baulk slightly at the 14.99 RRP, but to be fair the box is crammed with parts that look very good 'on the sprue', there are lots of options, plus it's Japanese subject matter - I'd suggest it's well worth a punt and there is the B5N1 to look forward to next year.

peebeep
ONLINE* Profile Quote Goto Top

ColinM
Member Avatar

Useful review Paul, thank you. I agree the price seems high but as you say there is a lot of detail and options. I expect the online sellers will start with a 10% discount and head south. Other than a very lonely Zero I don't think I have built any Japanese types, probably time to add a few more kits to the stash in preparation for a Rising Sun dio coming to a model show sometime...

:D

Colin
ONLINE* Profile Quote Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · In Box Reviews · Next Topic »

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket