AMSIG logo
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to AMSIG Airfix Modeling Special Interest Group part of the IPMS(UK) network.
Membership of AMSIG is open to modellers of all abilities whatever their age, gender or nationality, there are no entry requirements other than wanting to enjoy the Airfix brand. Most of us are modellers but those who prefer just to collect, or research, or talk about Airfix are welcome too.
Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

To join, please simply register above.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
Black Friday Deals; Please post any special offers here
Topic Started: Nov 21 2015, 09:33 PM (2,025 Views)
ColinM
Member Avatar

Airfix will have achieved their aim, convert stock to cash in quantity. It is a free market so I can't criticise those trying to make a quick profit but I do wonder how much better Airfix's reputation with their stockists would have been had they offered them the same prices as a special deal and promoting a much reduced RRP from approved stockists. In a former life I worked in a retail environment where the distinction between manufacturer, wholesaler and reseller was much more clearly defined, Airfix seem determined to be three in one.

That said, I took full advantage of the offer too but my kits are for building.

Colin
OFFLINE Profile Quote Goto Top

IanW

thomasweir
Dec 2 2015, 10:54 PM
It seems that a fair quantity of Airfixs Black Friday stock is now up on eBay.
Maybe it is a cunning ploy by Airfix to exploit a new way of marketing.
Sell cheap on their web site, knowing that a good percentage might get resold on ebay.
I bet the Black Friday prices are very similar to the price they charge normal retailers anyway.
I recall many years ago our LMS owner stating that the retailers mark-up was at least 50% on most kits.

peebeep
Member Avatar

Some of the kits must have selling at rather less than trade price - I bought a Coyote and Warrior for a fiver a pop. These are kits that retail for £20 and £22 respectively. If that's a reflection on how well they sell I won't be holding my breath against any new 1/48 AFV/softskin kits from Airfix in the near future.

RRP is usually in the region of 50% mark up over trade price, but if retailers are dealing with a middleman, the latter will obviously take a cut. Plus RRP is simply that - recommended - it's not cast in stone. Direct online sales is a big win for Airfix, or anybody else that enters into it (Revell have a web shop as well), but it must be quite a disincentive for traders running with big overheads.

peebeep

fred

Airfix have withdrawn the Operation Herrick kits from the 2016 list. They were probably clearing excess stocks at clear out prices.

My LMS claims Airfix only gives him 20 to 30% mark up. Sometimes he can buy from Hannants cheaper than wholesale from Airfix.

I've mixed feelings about the people who have bought to sell on ebay. On another forum I read one chap had bought 15 of the Spitfire VB kits just for selling on ebay. That wasn't an isolated case either.
All the Spitfire VBs were sold by the time I got placing an order. But I did get the Club issue one. [Ha-ha]

peebeep
Member Avatar

fred
Dec 3 2015, 11:47 AM
My LMS claims Airfix only gives him 20 to 30% mark up. Sometimes he can buy from Hannants cheaper than wholesale from Airfix.

That's why a well known trader, often seen at UK shows, won't stock Airfix. Airfix trade price depends on who they're dealing with. Hannants distribute widely to the trade, they almost certainly get a rock bottom price and it's up to them what wholesale deals they offer.

peebeep

fred

The order I placed before dawn on Saturday 28th arrived today at 15:11. Unfortunately it wasn't complete, some items missing.
Panic not.
All the kits I ordered arrived but Airfix left out 4 paints I'd ordered.

James-a-j

They missed out 2 paints I'd ordered but gave me 2 of another that I'd only ordered 1 of. I called them about it, got an apology, was assured they'd send out the missing items and when I said I'd send back the extra tin I was told to keep it by way of an apology but also because it would cost them more in red tape to process the tin back into stock. No more 'just stick it back on the shelf Harry' these days.

thomasweir
Member Avatar
Administrator
Wonderland models seems to be continuing their Airfix Black Friday Sale. So if you have missed out on anything, head over to their website.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Airfix Special Offers · Next Topic »
  • Pages:

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket