Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Aggies Aqua Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Breeding Peppermint Bristlenose Catfish; Pic's of eggs & Fry
Topic Started: Jul 21 2008, 09:19 AM (6,650 Views)
Tandanusman
Member Avatar
Nitrate Cycle
[ *  *  * ]
Hi everyone, my peppermint bristlenose spawned a few weeks ago and i just wanted the share the my experiance with others so hear it is.

On the 7/7 my peppermints spawned. The tank is a 3'x14"x18" it has 5 adult peppermints with no other fish (3 males and 2 females). The Filtration is a Fluval 4Plus and a medium courner filter with zeolight with a small mat on top. There is 22kg of black gravel as you will see in the pictures. The lighting is a 3ft Sera tropic sun on a timer to go on at a bit past 6am and turn off at a bit passed 7pm. The fish where only moved into the tank about 6 or 7 weeks ago, they where in a 30". The decorrations include two Exo Terra caves a small and large (spawning accured in the large one), lots of broken terracota and at spawning one Rubra Sword, but now there is some Vallis. I was still setting the tank up when they spawned.

The water Quality after spawning
Temp.: 28C
pH: 7.4
KH: 4
GH: 120
Ammonia: My kit ran out sorry i can provide this one.
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 160

The water that they get canged with is tape water put into a 200L tank, airated and has pH down put in and declorinator. Its is left in there for up to 2 weeks. There was a 15% water change conducted 6 days befor the spawning and the weather was quite bad very wet and cold around the time of spawing.

I also feed them Algea wafers Hikari, NLS Thera A, Sera Catfish chips and Zucini but they dont seem to like it that much.

The eggs where going well untill day 8 when most where knoked out of the cave. This is also the day they hatched. i managed to get 3 eggs that where on the filter and lying on the gravel into a net where one escaped a few days ago and he is still running around the tank and one died. the other is still doing well as you can see int he latest picture. The ones into cave have now moved into the smaller Exo Terra cave with a female and are scooting around the tank at night.

Iv had these peppermints since 19/12/06 when i bourgt them from a local breeded at 4cm long.

Hear are the pics.
Day 1
Posted Image
Note some white eggs.

Day 3
Posted Image
White eggs gone

Day 9
Posted Image

Day 10
Posted Image

Day 12
Posted Image

Day 15
Posted Image

If you have any Q's please ask and i will keep you up dated to see how the little fellers go. Currently i know there is 4 still left after the getting knoked out of the cave incedent. I think there may be more hiding. They are starting to look like peps now.
Don't worry, Be happy.
2X Geo. cf. brachybranchus, 5X Geo. sp. "Araguaia-Orange Head", 5X Geo. cf. argyrostictus "Aripuana",
4X S. leucosticta, 5X A. heckelii, 7X 'Geo.' steindachneri.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mars.40
Member Avatar
Lion Fish
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you for sharing your experience,,,,the photos are great.
This thread will help , the info is tops.... :clap
:thanks
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tandanusman
Member Avatar
Nitrate Cycle
[ *  *  * ]
No worries, happy to help.
Don't worry, Be happy.
2X Geo. cf. brachybranchus, 5X Geo. sp. "Araguaia-Orange Head", 5X Geo. cf. argyrostictus "Aripuana",

sevrum
Nitrate Cycle
[ *  *  * ]
It is always nice to have a spawning in one of your tanks. My bristle nosed catfish spawned quite some time ago. I still have 3 or 4 of the youngsters that are now around 50 to 60 mm. All females, I am looking for a breeding male.

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
`.. , . .`.. ><((((>`..`..`...><((((>

sthn75
Member Avatar
Yellow Tang
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats Tandanusman :clap :victory It must have been very exciting. Mine are still too young but hopefully in another year (or abit less) things might happen.

Thanks for sharing the experience though :thumb :thumb
Posted Image

MTS: Dare you to stop at ONE!!!

200L Tank.....90L Tank.....60L Tank

Aggies Aquarium
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well dont Karl :clap

Dylema
Member Avatar
Angelfish
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nice work :thumb Great pictures too.

I am sorry to be negative but your water stats seem a little off. I wouldn't like to see any nitrIte and probably a quarter of the nitrAte (or less) that you have. I would do some more regular water changes if I was you.

I hope they keep spawning for you, I can't wait till my pepps are big enough to spawn.

Dylan
Posted Image

sthn75
Member Avatar
Yellow Tang
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dylema
Jul 29 2008, 08:00 PM
Nice work :thumb Great pictures too.

I am sorry to be negative but your water stats seem a little off. I wouldn't like to see any nitrIte and probably a quarter of the nitrAte (or less) that you have. I would do some more regular water changes if I was you.

I hope they keep spawning for you, I can't wait till my pepps are big enough to spawn.

Dylan
Actually... :unsure2: I'd have to agree with you there Dylan :yes I usually start to stress out if I see any ammonia or nitrIte readings in my tanks and I also usually do a quick water change if my nitrAtes get upto 40-50ppm

I also can't wait for my pepps to reach breeding age :yes :dance :dance
Posted Image

MTS: Dare you to stop at ONE!!!

200L Tank.....90L Tank.....60L Tank

Tandanusman
Member Avatar
Nitrate Cycle
[ *  *  * ]
Yer the water is not perfect and i do water changes regularly. It still may be cycling abit because the tank has not been running for ages. I also ask if they where unhappy why would they spawn?

6 have suvived they knocking out of the cave incadent and are growing well.
Edited by Tandanusman, Aug 1 2008, 05:00 PM.
Don't worry, Be happy.

mars.40
Member Avatar
Lion Fish
Glad to hear it..well done... :thumb
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tandanusman
Member Avatar
Nitrate Cycle
[ *  *  * ]
They have done it again!!! I found a batch of eggs last night they must have spawned early in the night. The female was sitting in the frount of the cave for abit over two weeks similar to what she did last time.

The water quality (Tested thismorning)

pH- 7.6
Temp.- 28C
Ammonia- Still dont have a kit yet
Nitrite- .5ppm
Nitrate- 80ppm
GH- 120
KH- 3 Degrees

This pic is from thismorning.

Posted Image

The other little Fellers from the first spawning are doing realy well there are about 9 that have made it through.
Don't worry, Be happy.

mars.40
Member Avatar
Lion Fish
:clap :thumb
Looking healthy..
Good photo too...will you post a few pics of batch number one?
They must be looking cute now.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tandanusman
Member Avatar
Nitrate Cycle
[ *  *  * ]
This is one of the first batch, they are really hard to get good photos of, but i will try to get some better ones soon.

Posted Image
Don't worry, Be happy.

eric_the_red
Member Avatar
Goldfish
[ *  *  *  * ]
:photos
How big and old are they?

mars.40
Member Avatar
Lion Fish
Posted Image Sweet....realy cute.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Breeding · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme created by Grunter AKA (Weaman) of AGoW