Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Carolina Trails Offroad . We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Things to do before CTOR Uwharrie Invasion
Topic Started: Apr 20 2017, 12:20 PM (70 Views)
grininmonkey
Member Avatar

I feel like I need to buckle down and just get it over with.... so I can feel more relaxed for the upcoming Uwharrie event.... And that's some Differential Protection. Going "eeek" when I know a rock is right inline with my diff is getting old... lol

So I have a couple of issues which prevent me from simply slapping on any random diff cover on the front. My 35s are my primary lift currently, as I only have 2" SL.. I get away with this due to my High Lines... while maintaining OE up-travel .. roughly 4.3"

But when my axle is stuffed driver side, track bar is mighty snug to factory diff cover. The new MC track bar opens that up more but when I measured what my clearances are... I definitely can not use a SOLID or Riddler... I might can get away with a Spyder Bomb Shell but not quite sure...

On some forums I found a lot of folks who ran into this and have write-ups on where and how to shave and patch weld those.. but I don't want to spend that much effort to end up with something like this...

Posted Image

So I started thinking about another approach and just slap a Guard on ... one that is not ribbed but a solid lower half like the Warn or Rugged Ridge Diff skids like this

Posted Image

Seems like some folks on forums give those a thumbs up... they do their job of impact/slide off protection... so maybe ?

For my Rear (8.8) I have a lot more freedom.... so I'm thinking about a Riddler and only because it's smooth and not ribbed... the 8.8 is a drag along rock magnet axle to begin with... so I wondered if something was ribbed if it would potentially be "yet" another point on the 8.8 to catch ?

Just some thoughts on the Diffs...

Last thing I will be doing is getting a Currie AntiRock for the front... never been a fan of weight shift when disconnected.. so finally gona do the AR up front.
Edited by grininmonkey, Apr 20 2017, 12:26 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CTOR
Member Avatar
Administrator
I have to flip around my rear shocks. I have Rs9000 and that adjustment knob has a tendency to get broken off in rocks. Other than that it's ready to go.

I actually have the Solid diff covers on my jeep with lube lockers and I love them. Very well built and the price is right. I have zero issues rubbing with a 2" lift on my JK.

Only other issue I have to sort out is I either need to buy a camper or borrow someone's enclosed trailer to haul stuff up there lol!

grininmonkey
Member Avatar

Yeah, I don't know or keep up much on the differences on the JK vs TJ in stuff like that... But I know that on a TJ, the track bar, especially a factory track bar... is nearly touching the stock diff cover on a Dana 30 at full stuff... you might can fit 4 business cards in the gap...

So most of the aftermarket diff covers stick out a bit more and stick out more uniformly and not just on the ring gear side... but in the TJ world... 80% of folks will run a 3" or higher lift with 2" bumpstop etc... which will create a non issue because the pumpkin is not being "fully" stuffed.

I thought the RS9000 where Nitro Charged? Want that shorten the life of the shock if you run them opposite of intended orientation? Something I heard from other forums....

CTOR
Member Avatar
Administrator
They are gas charged oil filled shocks. Rotating the base of the shock doesn't cause any negative impact, and is common because that little adjustment knob is prone to breaking while wheeling. I actually broke 1 already and had to replace it.

grininmonkey
Member Avatar

I was real close to getting some 9000s a while back, but now I am leaning towards their new`ish 7000MT line based on some reports from the JeepForum... lots of folks are saying they ride like the 9000s on level 3 on the road as a comparison.

I had originally planned to work on out-boarding the rears and extending the front towers this summer and buy new shocks once... but I might be backing out of that for a bit and may end up getting shocks twice... Not a fan of what I have now... don't hate them, but not a fan.

grininmonkey
Member Avatar

Installed a guard on the front D30, but just got the SOLID rear diff cover and may not get it swapped before the weekend... might just keep it in the back... just in case.

To many things on the honey do list before the weekend ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Customizing and repairs · Next Topic »
Add Reply