Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
hi

Username:   Password:
Games to test gaming rig on
Topic Started: Mar 5 2011, 12:53 PM (2,005 Views)
C
Member Avatar

I recently upgraded my system. Ran Dragon Age 2 demo on the highest settings (that the demo allows, anyway), and that was absolutely smooth as butter. However Dragon Age 2 isn't exactly state of the art. Are there any games (preferably with trial versions) that are good to test the strength of one's set up?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Metro 2033. Run this on max settings and I'll start considering stealing your PC :P

Posted Image DragonReine
Member Avatar
More blood!

Crysis Warhead. 'Nuff said

Although some of the games my fellows had used as benchmarks include:

Far Cry 2
Dawn of War
Company of Heroes (forgot which game, exactly)
Call of Duty
Edited by DragonReine, Mar 5 2011, 01:10 PM.

tigrina
Member Avatar
Sage
Some more can be found here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/2011-gaming-graphics-charts/benchmarks,123.html

C
Member Avatar

Thanks all :)
Tried Crysis 2 multiplayer demo on max settings, that was perfect too. Though I'm not sure if it's actually more demanding than the original Crysis.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Tch, I can't get DAII to run smoothly on my high-end, super goddamn expensive PC. Possibly it has to do with the fact I have DX11, not 9, so it hates me.

The_Numerator
Member Avatar
OctoPussywillow
Shogun II: Total War.

Take that, your framerate!

fongiel
Member Avatar
Thong of God
DragonReine
Mar 5 2011, 01:00 PM
Crysis Warhead. 'Nuff said

Although some of the games my fellows had used as benchmarks include:

Far Cry 2
Dawn of War
Company of Heroes (forgot which game, exactly)
Call of Duty
Crysis was state of the art at the time, but it's been a few years since it came out. Same goes for Far Cry 2. Dawn of War 2 and Company of Heroes look decent and are fairly demanding for RTS, but both are still a little dated. Call of Duty is optimized for fairly middle-range systems. I can play all of these games on very high settings on my PC and it's a fairly old gaming rig. If you really want to see what your system will do, plug Microsoft Flight Simulator in it.

Edit: Just found this article. It has a few suggestions for PC game demos that are decent for benchmarking. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/how_properly_benchmark_your_pc?page=0,4
Edited by fongiel, Mar 7 2011, 02:45 AM.
The_Numerator: Minnesota is like... northern Alberta. And southern Alberta is like Texas. So Alberta is like Texassoda.

A Wizard Did It
Member Avatar
Professional Bun Inspector
C
Mar 7 2011, 02:01 AM
Thanks all :)
Tried Crysis 2 multiplayer demo on max settings, that was perfect too. Though I'm not sure if it's actually more demanding than the original Crysis.
Less demanding actually.

Which is absolutely ridiculous, but go-go a 6 year and counting console cycle and Crytek's decision to focus on making the game work great on consoles. DX11 isn't even available to the PC version right away.
I'd kill you, but the fucking bees

Johnny was a chemist's son
But now Johnny is no more
What Johnny thought was H2O
Was H2SO4

Posted Image

tigrina
Member Avatar
Sage
Saibh
Mar 7 2011, 02:12 AM
Tch, I can't get DAII to run smoothly on my high-end, super goddamn expensive PC. Possibly it has to do with the fact I have DX11, not 9, so it hates me.
The full game should have proper DX11 support. Also, there is a high res texture pack coming out today (says Fernando Melo). And new graphic drivers for nVidia and ATI to boot.

C
Member Avatar

The_Numerator
Mar 7 2011, 02:38 AM
Shogun II: Total War.

Take that, your framerate!
Tried it, seemed to run well.
Was going to try Metro 2033 demo, but the download size and download rate has been too long.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I was going to get Shogun 2: Total War but the response I got from their forums was horrible when talking about DRMs and such. The state they left Empire: Total War in was just sad. I don't like having to use Steam either. Use it or don't play it is pretty much what they said....that and they have no plans to ever remove DRMs...I had no business playing a game that would be 10 years old down the road? I lost faith in Creative Assembly that day.

C
Member Avatar

I usually prefer RTS games like Starcraft.
Edited by C, Mar 22 2011, 12:51 PM.

The_Numerator
Member Avatar
OctoPussywillow
Yeah, I thought Shogun 2 would be more demanding... But I'm not getting any discernable framerate drop... And my PC is four years old. Rock solid software.

I don't know about DRM. I haven't seen any, aside from Steam itself. CA is pretty gung-ho about full Steam integration.

What was wrong with Empire? Didn't they ever fix AI fleets? I just moved on to Napoleon and didn't really look back. Could be neither did they, I suppose. They're very "eyes forward" about things, for better or worse.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Video Games · Next Topic »