Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Listener 4465; Got my knickers in a mobius twist
Topic Started: Sep 15 2017, 05:17 PM (809 Views)
zax

Sloping line refers to any straight line that isn't vertical or horizontal, hence the top rhombus has two horizontal and two sloping lines all required to be the same length. The length of the sloping line in a candidate rhombus can be calculated using Pythagoras' theorem. A compass could alternatively be used to find sloping lines of the same length as a horizontal line.
Edited by zax, Sep 22 2017, 06:12 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nick

To complicate this further, I was taught 50 odd years ago that a rectangle with equal sides is a square rectangle, which now seems to be just called a square.

Let alone all the other rules. Apart from not meeting the required '20' cells area, and making a rhombus with the letters MISS in the corners, I convinced myself I got it right.

Nick

Gerry Leversha

Only just got around to looking at the solution on the Times website. There is another rhombus which will do. The vertices are at the centres of these four cells: L of ILIAN, S of ESTATES, S of DIECAST, R of DEADCART. This has a length of 10 and a height of 4. It entirely encloses the rectangle but does not touch or overlap it. I assume that the word 'overlap' in this context means 'intersect'. As the preamble says: All items are formed of straight lines. As such, the figures are perimeters not laminae, in the same way that a circle is the circumference of the figure, not its inside (for which the correct name is disc rather than circle).

Kea

See http://www.listenercrossword.com/Solutions/S2017/Notes_4465.html

Andy Stewart

Thank goodness the alternatives were too complex for me to spot. I'd have had a week of agonising over it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply