Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Listener 4473; Hit and Run by Ifor
Topic Started: Nov 13 2017, 08:08 PM (262 Views)
Derek Harrison
Administrator
I love the challenge of a jigsaw-type crossword and I enjoyed filling the grid. I am not too happy with choosing from pairs of letters to compose a message. Here you needed to fully understand the wordplay, for a start. Then if you make the slightest misunderstanding of the clue you can end up with a garbled message. That is where I was on my first try. It took me a long time to make any sense.

Congratulations to Ifor for discovering Edward Eagan and his gold medals in both summer and winter Olympic games and for getting the sports in the grid so that the numbers matched the years. Fortunately for me I did this puzzle on Crossword Compiler so the grid numbers are automatically entered.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

John Nick

This took me twice as long as the average Listener, which I suppose you could say was thematic. I don’t find the wordplay-leads-to-an-extra-letter gimmick easy at the best of times, so two extra was always going to be tough for me. I would have thought that the same message twice would be easier to fathom than a single message, but I actually found it harder. Particularly tough were occasions where the two letters came from a three-letter word. LAKE and PLACID were two of my first solves so I had an idea where it was going, but I wasn’t aware of the feat so it still took some time to find the actual theme. Some feat too, winning golds in two diverse sports like bobsled and boxing must take some doing. Very nice how the ambiguity was resolved, I thought, and I love a jigsaw puzzle so thanks very much, Ifor.

Perfect title btw.

Edited by John Nick, Nov 15 2017, 04:33 AM.

EdP

I thought this was a terrific puzzle. Like John, it took me (in my case, at least) twice as long, but the solve remained enjoyable throughout, with some good tough clues. Thanks very much, Ifor.

PeterM

I had to give up on this as I couldn't solve enough clues to be able to enter more than about half a dozen answers, and although I guessed one message, the other seemed to start 'reason...', neither being much help.
However, I must commend Ifor and Edward Eagan on their respective achievements.

Nick

PeterM
Nov 17 2017, 06:47 PM
I had to give up on this as I couldn't solve enough clues to be able to enter more than about half a dozen answers, and although I guessed one message, the other seemed to start 'reason...', neither being much help.
However, I must commend Ifor and Edward Eagan on their respective achievements.
Me too - two letters was a bridge too far and I also couldn't solve enough clues to get going.

It always amazes though that some people solve these harder puzzles - makes me feel a bit thick :-)

Nick

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply