Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
News and Announcements

Starting January 18, 2010 we will be resuming our weekly discussions on various characters, couples, and plot points for the show Grey's Anatomy. If you are interested in seeing a similar discussion for another show let Danielle know. Be sure to check out some of the new fanfictions that been posted and show the writers your support!

Welcome to The Haven.

We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
3.01 - A Death In The Family
Topic Started: Oct 2 2009, 08:45 AM (348 Views)
Marie
Member Avatar
Ultimate Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Violet is rushed to the hospital unconscious and severely injured, after the violent attack from her patient Katie. Addison and Naomi fight to save her life. Meanwhile, the whereabouts and condition of Violet's stolen baby are unknown.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Marie
Member Avatar
Ultimate Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
So I thought I'd get the ball rolling with this show. I've been looking forward to this show coming back more than any other this year. I was excited about seeing how it was going to play out because we all knew Violet was going live, that makes watching her fight to survive so much easier.

I won't say I was disappointed with how it went down but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I was expecting this heightened level of intensity and I actually found it very calm. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but yeh...I found it to be very calm.

I thought the flashbacks were an interesting move, it really did help give everyone else that back story of 'before Addison' which is something that show needs a bit. Well I found them interesting. They did mess up the timeline again but I'm trying not to dwell on that. Pete's wife at various times during the show has been dead 8, 6, and 9 years (in that order).

I thought every one's reactions were quite good. I liked how Pete and Sheldon interacted, it was this strained kind of awkward, where they were both feeling similar emotions but having different ways of expressing it. That moment where they're with the baby and Pete asks Sheldon if he wants to sit with him, and Sheldon asks what his name is. I thought it was a touching moment.

And about the boy, I'm so glad they got him back, Cooper did a good job of getting him back. You could see he wanted to just take the baby but he knew he couldn't. I did miss Cooper a bit this episode, it is obvious he's feeling some major guilt about what happened, I think that's why he didn't want to go sit with Violet but in that final scene when Violet wakes up and everyone but him is there, I wished he was there too. I think it was because they did a close up of everyone in turn and they were all relieved and he wasn't there. I'm sure there is a reason for and it'll get played up in the weeks to come, all that guilt.

And lastly I want to say I think the make up and style departments did a good job. I thought it was cute how they made Cooper, Violet and Naomi look younger by changing their hair and they gave Sam glasses (or have I just never noticed them before). And they did a really good job of making Violet look like death, she really did look like she was about to die which I haven't seen too often, usually everyone still looks pink.

Skullflap
Member Avatar
Chief of Skully Style
Rulers Supreme
I like how they did the flashbacks too and how they brought it together in the end. I thought it all tied in so well.

I dont blame Cooper for being guilty because he was right there but he cant blame himself...there was no way of knowing that was going on on the other side of the door. I too wished he would have been in the room when she woke up. Perhaps it would have been too painful for him to be there though.

When they showed her standing there with the baby I immediately yelled, "grab him from her!" but he and Pete handled it perfectly.I don't even know how they could have remained to calm about it. I am just happy she trusted in Cooper (or is that crazy) enough to hand him over.

I dont know if this was on purpose or if anyone else thinks this but I thought when we first saw the baby that he looks like Sheldon. (I want him to be Pete's)

Do I just not remember from last season or maybe they never explained but do we know how Dell got Betsy back? For some reason I don't remember.

I think Sam wears glasses on and off.

I dont know if you saw the previews for next week but it looks like Violet might give up the baby and I really hope she doesnt.

Marie
Member Avatar
Ultimate Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yay! someone wants to talk PP with me.

I thought the kid looked a little like Sheldon too but I didn't dwell on it. I feel quite sure in myself that the kid is Pete's. We find out for sure in episode three.

And to answer your question about Dell. He got Betsy back in the season final. Heather turned up strung out on crack and told Dell if he gave her $10,000 she'd give him Betsy. He went to ask Naomi for the money but Sam interrupted, and in the end Sam gave him the money. When Heather came to collect though he took Betsy and didn't give her the money. He told her to go get help, and if she didn't let him keep Betsy he would phone DCF and she'd loose her custody.

I did see the promo for next week. I think Violet is going to hand the kid over for a bit but I think she needs to so that she can get her head into the right frame of mind and get the help she needs. I wrote a big long rant about this on another board. I think I'm going to start a Violet thread for it.

Skullflap
Member Avatar
Chief of Skully Style
Rulers Supreme
OH yeah, I do remember that now. Just needed a reminder.

I love how calm Addison was (forgot to talk about her in my other post). She didnt panic. She did what she needed to do. I love being able to see her do her thing. She gets a real rush from surgery and I am sure if they didnt work closely with that hospital Addison wouldnt last at the clinic without surgery.

I am hoping Addison and Naomi can work out what is going on with them. They both need each other and I hate when they fight. I think Addison is more hurt than anything that Naomi left them.

I cant wait to see what else is in store for this season

Danielle
Member Avatar
Administrator
Rulers Supreme
LOL I don't think we can really say who the baby looks like because he doesn't really belong to any of them. I am also fairly sure the baby Katie was holding and the baby Violet was holding were two different ones. Not an uncommon practice in film. More than one baby allows for longer filming days.

The flashbacks were brilliant. What a lovely way to tie the past into the present and to explain why and where some of them were coming from. I have noticed with flashbacks it either works well, as it did here, or it doesn't work out at all. I loved how it showed how far everyone has come from the people they use to be. Violet was more of a free spirit who you couldn't see with kids. Sam and Naomi were the perfect couple. Pete was uptight and cold. Cooper was a free for all. Now Violet has a baby she loves. Naomi and Sam are broken up. Pete is chilling. And Cooper is in a steady relationship.

Over all I enjoyed the episode. It was nice that it wasn't intense. I don't think I could have handled another intense premiere. So having them have the drama in a calmer manner was great. To bad they don't take that same approach on other shows. *cough*Grey's Anatomy*cough*

GwendolynK
Member Avatar
Team Lexzie
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was a little disappointed by the episode. I think I had been hoping for more angst. I know this makes me a horrible person, but I kind of didn't want the baby to live....it would make things easier filming and story wise and it would be a great source of drama...and then Violet can still end up with Cooper...I probably need to just let that one go.

I really enjoyed the Naomi/Addison scenes. I can never pick a favorite character on this show because they're all so, so great.

Did anyone else notice that the season 3 premeire of Grey's also started out with flashbacks? I thought that was an interesting parallel.

Danielle
Member Avatar
Administrator
Rulers Supreme
I have to say I find it a bit odd that you want Violet's baby to die because of story, filming, and romance but want Izzie to have a baby on Grey's. Wouldn't two of those three "complications" apply there? Just wondering...

I don't see how the baby will present filming problems. They usually have more than one baby when they introduce an infant on a television show to prevent disruptions. I also don't think the baby will present story challenges. If anything it will add some great ones. Should Violet end up with Cooper (and to be honest at this point I think it would be a mistake) the baby would add some great angst in them coming together. I come from a blended family. It does work.

GwendolynK
Member Avatar
Team Lexzie
[ *  *  *  * ]
Okay, so maybe part of the reason I didn't want Violet to have a baby is that I'm a little bitter that she's the one having a baby and not Izzie...

Danielle
Member Avatar
Administrator
Rulers Supreme
:teehee: I wondered about that!

GwendolynK
Member Avatar
Team Lexzie
[ *  *  *  * ]
Lol. You know me so well.

Danielle
Member Avatar
Administrator
Rulers Supreme
True that. :teehee:

You know I think the premiere was calm because the drama is going to start next week. The clip they showed at the end of this episode sort of implied that, you know?

Marie
Member Avatar
Ultimate Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Could be, the promo for next week did look like it was going to have a bit of drama in it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply