Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to International Ponton Owners Group (IPOG). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Two mechanical problems
Topic Started: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:13 am (199 Views)
Joakim

Since I recieved so good help with the brakes I try two more things I've noticed when I try to revive my 180a who's been sleeping since 1983 :)

Most urgent thing is that while driving, the engine dies when I idle and brake. If I only push down the clutch, the engine runs, but as soon as I brake it dies.

The other thing is something I've noticed when the car stands still and engine is idling. When I push down the clutch everything is fine, but as soon as I release the clutch, it's a rather big difference in vibrations and noise.

I bought the car 10 years ago and it was partially restored. I've not done anything with the drivetrain myself and my guess is that it is untouched, but I can't be sure.

Thanks!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Henry Magno

Have you done an ignition service and carburetor check or overhaul? I'm a bit baffled about the noise and vibration with the car in neutral. The noise could be bad bearings in the transmission. Do you notice any noise and vibration when you are driving the car?

Joakim

I've overhauled the engine and the ignition system. Carburator was put apart, checked and cleaned by a mechanic.

When I bought the car it was a mess mechanically because some guys with no knowledge about old Mercedes had done some work.

I have some vibrations and noise from the exhaust system that needs to be fixed before I can answer if the noise from the clutch/transmission is still there when driving. The exhaust system is stainless after market and the fit is not perfect. Also, I haven't installed the bracket/mount between transmission and exhaust pipe so it rattles against the frame at some engine speeds... It will be fixed early next week :)

Cavedog

Could stalling when braking at idle be a vacuum leak, if you have power brakes?

Rodger

Joakim

No power brakes!

Guess it's a rather odd problem...
Edited by Joakim, Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:03 am.

Joakim

About the clutch/vibrations problem; I've found out that this could be a problem with the bearing at the incoming axle at the transmission. Would that be Table 16 picture 25? http://www.190slparts.com/page8.html

What do you think?

Henry Magno

Yes that would be the one. It would have to be in pretty bad shape to do this. You said this car had some bad work done to it. You should expect that anything is possible. That bearing is a standard ball bearing, no need to get it from Mercedes.

Joakim

Great! A nice work for the winter :)

Clutch and transmission are more or less the only parts that I haven't checked myself yet, so it feels good to do that!

Joakim

I was about to check the transmission bearing but before I came that far I noticed that the engine was too low at the rear and the bracket to the exhaust pipe was more or less in contact with the frame...

I hope the fault is the rear motor mount, see picture, it's totally chewed up. I started the engine with support from the lift and the vibrations/noise was gone.

Will order a new rear motor mount next week and hope it solves the problem!

Edit: bear in mind that the 180a only has two motor mounts in the front and the rear mount at the transmission; I guess that makes the transmission mount more crucial...
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 20170901_184233.jpg (5.81 MB)
Edited by Joakim, Fri Sep 1, 2017 12:31 pm.

Henry Magno

Sorry for raising any unnecessary alarms about the transmission. It was a long shot. But the lesson is always look for the obvious first. If you haven't gone over the car much, it's always good to take a hard look at everything, especially brakes. You didn't mention before whether you had done anything with the hydraulics. If the car has been sitting for ten years it's definitely a candidate for a hydraulic system teardown, looking for leaks is not enough. Unless you know the system has been sleeved in brass or stainless steel there is a good chance moisture has caused some corrosion. Even cars with silicone brake fluid can rust when moisture concentrates in one area, which it will do because water wont mix with the fluid.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Ponton Discussion (all models) · Next Topic »
Add Reply