Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to International Ponton Owners Group (IPOG). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
interior wood- 220S
Topic Started: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:56 pm (136 Views)
Rick
Rick
Should the dash / interior wood be glossy or a less glossy - matt type finish?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FreemanGarden
Member Avatar

Are you asking about the *original* wood finish? Remember that initial purchasers could ask for just about any interior wood finish they wanted.

Take a look at this thread, where an IPOG member details how he completely refinished his dash wood:

http://s15.zetaboards.com/IPOG/topic/10128661/1/

You might want to follow up on that topic, and ask him (Lenny) how he chose the colors and finish.

Tom M.

WBob
Member Avatar

Rick,
I'm not sure if the finish would be different for the different models, but it might help if you let us know what model you have, or what model you're asking about, if not for yours in particular. There are lots of historical photos scattered here and there between these sites, (here, Yahoo and mbzponton.org) and FaceBook, and the internet in general. I think lots of folks are just finishing their dashes and window surrounds in the manner they like best. I've been planning (or thinking about it) to do my wood one of these days, and will probably go for something that shows the wood grain through the color, and has more of a satin finish. But that's just me, now. By the time my energy, time, and money converge to actually get started, I may be on to something else. We'll see.

sombb

Hello,

Rather than try to describe color and finish, instead I'm sending a photo of the set of wood I acquired, from the son of a ponton aficianado, who had stored these originals in the 1960's. They arrived here in original MBZ packaging, so I take as gospel the color is original.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Interior_wood.jpg (209.48 KB)

FreemanGarden
Member Avatar

You are really fortunate to have that set of original dash parts. Here's a compilation of some of the various finishes that were available. Originally posted on the Yahoo site.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: 220S_dash_in_original_cond.jpg (353 KB)

WBob
Member Avatar

Thanks for those photos, SOMBB, and Tom. Helps me in my future efforts! My dash original(?) color, at least what's on there now, looks most like the sample in the upper left, in the collage photo from Tom. Also, in the section where the steering wheel is visible; i found one of those wraps for the steering wheel in a truck stop, in the store section where they have all the trinkets and stuff. It's a larger diameter than what you find in the average auto parts stores (Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc) and seems to fit my wheel nicely! I tried it on as a dry fit, but did not yet lace it up. This was in a truck stop on I-65, between here (Louisville KY) and Chicago. Hoping this info might help someone else make a funky cracked up steering wheel like mine last a little longer, since replacements cost so much, and aren't readily available. I'll make a cross post about this to the other site as well. I had been looking in the McParts stores for years for one of these, and was very pleased to find it.

Lenny Braun

Rick,
Saw you ask this on the yahoo site too. Not sure there is a yes or no anyone can reply about finish. My guess is there is no satin finish in a Mercedes.
If anyone saw pontons new like a dealer you would know if they were all glossy. The cabs and coupes had deep glossy coats. Most of the sedans don't shine
after the years when we see them now.

So are you refinishing your wood and deciding what to use? Post your photos of the work for us if you can. And what products you use please.

Wow is that a nice dash set in the photos. That looks like new. No fading of color. That should be a great example. My dash set is much darker. Must have had more to cover in fillers. This set has a little more honey color.

WBob There is a shade like the one you picked in the lacquer spray color chart I used for guitars. I have a can of tobacco brown to test out for another choice for the dash.

wwheeler

In addition to the deeper gloss, the coupes and cabs had premium wood veneers with more grain contrast. Not so much a question of gloss because it all seems glossy. More of a question of number of seal coats and if the finish was "polished" out.

Later on, the W111 coupes and cabs had a similar finish to the Ponton coupes/cabs while the Pagodas and W108 sedans had a darker stain and was indeed a satin finish.

Henry Magno

Tom,

I have to disagree that the finishes you show in the picture you posted are original finishes. I believe all the sedans were dark like the picture that sombb posted. For some reason, a lot of people have refinished this wood in light colors, so it's understandable that one might assume it is correct. By the way sombb, how about a real name?

FreemanGarden
Member Avatar

Henry - certainly possible that they're not all original finishes. I was just posting the photo as it came up in an old Yahoo discussion regarding wood finishes. I'm pretty sure that at the time, Ricardo Alarcon had said that M-B dealers had "order books" which showed many different options in exterior paint color, interior finish (Polsterung), and interior wood trim (wood, color, finish) - options that weren't individually listed in the general Sonderausstattungen manuals and sales brochures. I believe it was Lenna Winther-Saxe who got photos of various wood finishes from Ricardo, and made that combined photo.

Anyway, until IPOG gets a copy of those "dealer order books" with the individual examples, I'm afraid the topic "should the wood be glossy or less glossy?" questions remain fuzzy.

Thanks.
Tom M.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Ponton Discussion (all models) · Next Topic »
Add Reply