Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to International Ponton Owners Group (IPOG). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Oil Leak 61 190d; Oil leaking by starter... thinking rear main seal
Topic Started: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:59 am (64 Views)
rtomassini
Member Avatar

I was doing a diesel purge on my 61 190d this weekend and noticed after the engine ran for about 10-15 min and got warm quite a bit of oil started leaking around where the starter is located. The car is in my dive way that is a bit steep and leaning back so more oil would probably pool to the back of the engine. I imagine it is probably the Rear Main Seal, but wanted to get get everyones insight.

If it is the rear main seal do I need to completely pull the engine or can it be done by removing the transmission?

Thanks for your help

Ron
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gary Kuster
Member Avatar

It is most likely a rear main seal, but Mercedes uses a rope type seal. Before you take anything apart, clean up the oil best possible and see how much leaks on a flat surface. When the nose of the car is up (especially with a worn out rope seal) the oil collects in the back of the engine and can overpower the seal causing what looks like a substantial leak that may be quite manageable when the car is level. I took my other car (1968 Buick Wildcat with a rope seal)out of storage this past week and exactly the same thing happened when it was off loaded from the ramp type tow truck. It left a foot long slick on the tow truck bed, but when running on a level surface, It hardly leaves a trace.
Edited by Gary Kuster, Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:46 am.

rtomassini
Member Avatar

Thank you Gary. Good idea. I'll clean it up and try on a flat surface and see what the leak looks like.

Arnold-USA
Member Avatar

That seal requires removal of the crankshaft. Not even I am interested in that much work. My first car was a 914 I never figured out where he oil came from but it was fine running a quart low. I went on to work on dozens of them over the years.

rtomassini
Member Avatar

Thanks Ron. Sounds like a lot of work. Have you replaced one in these cars?

Arnold-USA
Member Avatar

Yeah, a 66 200D, leaked from the moment I filled it with oil.

OnlyPonton
Member Avatar

Man, that rope seal is a pain, and quite a lot of work to replace...and sometimes even after doing everything perfectly, it will leak even more than before! And also, it's not too common for them to leak, worst case they just bleed a bit over the years, they never really gush out.

Are you certain that it's not the valve cover gasket? Wayyyyyy easier, and a much more common oil leak area. As was mentioned, clean the engine thoroughly, then get a good look. Remember, oil will travel down and back (gravity/forward motion of vehicle). If a rear main seal was leaking badly, the oil would be near the base of the transmission, not the starter...

rtomassini
Member Avatar

Thanks Aram. I did replace the valve cover gasket and cleaned around it to make sure it was not coming from there (and I was hoping it was). It doesn't seem to be coming from that. It's hard to see where it is originating from cause it's such a tight spot to get back to. This weekend I will degrease the rest of the engine and see if I can get a better idea of the location.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Ponton Discussion (all models) · Next Topic »
Add Reply