Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to International Ponton Owners Group (IPOG). We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wiring Harness R&R; Removal of 220S harness
Topic Started: Sat Jun 9, 2018 12:23 pm (66 Views)
Arnold-USA
Member Avatar

My next step is going to be the removal of the underhood wiring harness. Is it necessary to disconnect the switches to do this or can they be pulled out with the haness still connected?

I believe my only option to renew the wrap is friction tape, which is not going to earn originality points. Is it possible to renew the woven stuff they came with originally?

Any tips on removing the fuse block or should I just dive in, disconnect everything and be prepared to reconnect everything later with a test light and follow the diagram? I've done a few CS Coupes and an OpelGT this way.
Edited by Arnold-USA, Sat Jun 9, 2018 12:29 pm.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cavedog

Hello Arnold

I have used Ponton wire, if you need it. Not a harness, just patching wire.

Rodger

Henry Magno

Make sure you replace all the cloth covered wire, if your harness has any. One option on the cloth braiding is to send the whole harness to Rhode Island Wiring after you make your repairs. They will overbraid the harness. They charge by the foot I think. Of course it's a lot of work removing the complete harness.

Arnold-USA
Member Avatar

Good point, thanks Henry. They didn't mention over wrap services when I spoke to them the other day.

I was wondering why I had a stray wire from the starter connecting behind the light switch. The main power lead had disintegrated.

wwheeler

When I bought my '60 220SE, I was lucky in that I brought someone in who was familiar with these cars. First thing he said is that we need to inspect every inch of the cloth braided power wire. Sure enough, much of mine was degraded and a good candidate for a fire. Absolutely inspect all of that.
Edited by wwheeler, Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:31 pm.

Gary Kuster
Member Avatar

Arnold-USA
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:35 pm
Good point, thanks Henry. They didn't mention over wrap services when I spoke to them the other day.

I was wondering why I had a stray wire from the starter connecting behind the light switch. The main power lead had disintegrated.
If you have your headliner out, don't forget to replace the wiring to and from the dome light to the door switch. Oft overlooked and almost always disintegrated in the A pillar.

Gary

Arnold-USA
Member Avatar

I asked Rhode Island Wiring about how to make the cross between AWG Wire gauges and MM which is on the Mercedes harness schematic. Their reply has me confused about Square vs. Round for the MM wires, but can anyone confirm that the following is appropriate or should I bump up a gauge when in doubt?

My chart tells me this Metric vs. AWG (American Wire Gauge). Please convert to AWG when writing up an order. Round up to nearest available gauge. Keep in mind we only have these AWG sizes:

This capacity chart is very useful.
18 AWG - apx 8.7 Amps
16 AWG - apx 13.5 Amps
14 AWG - apx 17.5 Amps
12 AWG - apx 27.5 Amps
10 AWG - apx 37 Amps
8 AWG - apx 55 Amps
6 AWG - apx 100 Amps

Measurements are square mm, NOT DIAMETER!
.7 sq.mm = 18-19 AWG
1.0 sq.mm =18
1.5 sq.mm =15-16
2.0 sq.mm =14
2.5 sq.mm =13
3.0 sq.mm =12-13
4.5 sq.mm =10-11
6.0 sq.mm =9-10
7.0 sq.mm =8-9
8.5 sq.mm =7-8
16.0 sq.mm =5-6 (wire or cable)
25.0 sq.mm =3-4 (cable only)
40.0 sq.mm =1-2 (cable only)

I have some really nice neoprene covered welding wire that makes incredible battery cables. I like to solder the connectors after crimping, that reduces the chance of corrosion, it is incredibly flexible and comes in some small gauges.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Ponton Discussion (all models) · Next Topic »
Add Reply