Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Invicta. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. Have a look around and join us in crafting wonderful stories. We're always willing to answer questions either in the cBox or the Discord server!

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
The Future of Invicta
Topic Started: Oct 10 2017, 02:07 AM (133 Views)
Architect
Member Avatar
Dominus et Deus
Heya folks.

I just want to say that with Syn on hiatus that I have never been more worried about this forum's future than I am now.

His temporary departure has made it clear that activity on the forum is at an all-time low. We can't keep members for more than a couple of weeks. People that do browse us consider it overwhelming. While I can't speak to that, I can in regards to the level of activity.

One of the major problems with forums like this the patterns we fall into. Syn, myself, and Randian do the primary RPing. We post the most and almost exclusively are the ones RPing with others on the board. There are a few notable exceptions, but for the most part, we are spurring the activity. When that stops, it feels like the forum is dead.

No one RPs with each other (generally speaking) and that bugs the hell out of me.

I love this forum. We've put a lot of work into it to make it the crowing achievement after 10+ years of trying. I have no intention of packing up now, but I fear for the future. It is tiring from an admin position to have to facilitate everything. I need activity and input from you folks if this RP is going to make it six months or longer.

I'll be the first person to raise my hand and tell you that I have a lot of RL stuff going on that inhibits my activity. Work, friends, etc are all things that I do on the regular and are unavoidable. I have no doubt that as we have gotten older that we have more responsibilities. But if you enjoy this forum as much as I do, I need to see it to justify my continued activity.

Some people will see this as a threat or as whining. If you do then I apologize for not conveying it well. I am very passionate about the effort put into this site and I do not want to see it fail. I hope everyone understands where I am coming from so we can have a productive discussion about the future.

Thank you.
Offline Profile Quote TOP

BlackUmbrellas
Member Avatar

From where I'm standing, my activity is mostly hinged on moving the current "Their Second Coming" thread forwards.

As I've occasionally mentioned, I'm Not Very Good at writing solo-threads; I find it hard to write my own stories and a large part of my motivation comes from the enjoyment of collaborating with other people.

I'm very interested in collaborating- unfortunately, the trade-off for my faction concept is that before I can open it up, it needs to funnel through the choke-point of "First Contact". That's something I maybe should have considered beforehand, but it's too late to change now, so the most I can hope for is that we can find a way to streamline the "First Contact" bits so that I can move onto writing with people more freely.

I can probably sustain most of my plots just between me and Serpens (who I'd tentatively guess is in a similar position to myself), although I'd obviously love to involve other people in the thoryx and Torpor.

Serpens
Member Avatar

All I can say is, I'm trying! A lot! Buuuut I started RPs with you and Syn so without you two I'm pretty stuck. I agree with BU, more or less!

Architect
Member Avatar
Dominus et Deus
Serpens
Oct 10 2017, 03:15 AM
All I can say is, I'm trying! A lot! Buuuut I started RPs with you and Syn so without you two I'm pretty stuck. I agree with BU, more or less!
BU has a case, but unfortunately you do not. With Lovalico, or any of your powers for that matter, you could easily interact with Jack and Dukka again.

blackscholes

Concern is fair.

I think we need to push the current central story while decentralizing the future storyline at the same time. It does feel the Exeter crisis is bottlenecking things.

imo, the Human Sphere should not be this collegial at all. The Terran Confederacy has fallen apart, and its in place numerous factions have risen. It feels awfully stable.

In the context of the Dominion-Republic cold war, it does not feel like a real cold war. Take the gloves off, start using soft and hard power to force us smaller states to fall in line. Invicta is a space UN, what are they ultimately gonna do? I think by dividing the camps and drawing lines, it will create far more opportunities for us. This imo would be an example of decentralizing the storyline.

Along that same line, as much as I hate to say it, I do not think alien first contacts will save this forum, mine included. It'll just obfuscate things a tad more, but if the Human Sphere remains perceptually unified, it won't change much.

Here is something to consider, the first generation of humans post Venkath Onslaught won't know of the Venkath truly. They'll consider them to be a horror story, or something that does not exist. What they do know is what the Dominion did to the Republic. For their lives, they've known the Dominion as the enemy, not the Venkath. The Dominion in turn should play this to their advantage - stir up fear that a space NATO is looking to contain them. Get aggressive!

A side note, I am considering rolling out an OM backed terror group that will terrorize either the Republic or Dominion but I do need the Hayes Agreement to roll through and become public. Stir the pot a bit more.

I spend about 20 min / day outside of the weekend on this. I am not a good example but I do try and update something daily. Finding pictures is a tough task nevertheless. It's the only way I can handle the 5 or so solo RPs at once and keep them alive.

Ultimately, what we need to do is create intrigue. I think all of us including myself should be a bit more forceful with our RPs. It does feel we are all a bit too polite and courteous with the boundaries. We should be prepared to tear things down. Change is what will keep things going.
Edited by blackscholes, Oct 10 2017, 08:43 PM.

blackscholes

This sounds a bit harsh on everyone but I am just throwing ideas out there to generate opportunities. I like to be blunt on things. I obviously can do more too.
Edited by blackscholes, Oct 10 2017, 11:17 PM.

Synsensa
Member Avatar

The issue I see with the strife argument is that this would lead to future Exeter/Torpor bottlenecks. Any and all strife will inherently involve the entire community and will take ages to complete without railroading or some type of deterministic decision-making from Architect.

Members do need to roleplay with one another, somehow and some way. Even if I slowly make my way back to roleplaying here on Invicta it would likely be in a far more limited capacity and potentially not as staff. The model of the Big Three needing to pave the way for interaction between everyone else isn't sustainable, and that's evidenced by Architect/Randian's temporary scale back on activity and my disappearance.

Invicta, up until the last stretch of September, averaged 20~ replies a day. This average is now 4 with a record high of 11 replies. The site is having issues. We're bleeding newbies to the point that there are none left and those of you who have stuck with us this long after so many years are mostly doing your own thing or self-imposing limitations. Neither of those are explicitly bad but it is a little bit of a problem right now in that roleplaying has slowed to a crawl without direct input from Architect, Randian, or me.

I'm not sure what Architect and I did wrong with this iteration of the forum. Normally our activity doesn't drop off so quickly nor does it hit a bottleneck where activity is reliant on a very select few this soon. Did we launch with too much preexisting content? Is the story just lame? Have people lost the urge for this kind of roleplaying? I am not sure.

Synsensa
Member Avatar

Some further input would be a Good Thing™.

Synsensa
Member Avatar

pls

BlackUmbrellas
Member Avatar

Ultimately, any setting that has its primary conflict driven by GM-run major powers relies on those major powers being consistently utilized by the GMs to keep momentum.

If you guys are experiencing a slump yourselves for various reasons, then it stands to reason the forum will slow down in turn.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »

Basic! theme created by g0b0ts of ZetaBoards Theme Zone

RPG-D RPG Initiative Star Wars: Last Resort