Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

WELCOME TO LAWN-MOWER-CENTRAL.COM!

>>> CLICK HERE FOR ACTIVE TOPICS <<<

Welcome to Lawn Mower Central. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wheel Horse 212-H engine problem; Thinking about buying it, need some info
Topic Started: May 2 2006, 02:35 PM (1,622 Views)
jmebonner
Unregistered

Hola! First post here, bookmarked it when the link was posted at TechIMO by Bernie :)

A friend of mine is selling a 212H Toro WheelHorse with rear bagger. It's a 38" cut and has a 12.5hp engine. He said the engine just says Toro on it, no manufacturer name.

Anyway, he says it runs good, burns a little oil. When idling, it blows a fair amount of smoke. When running wide-open, though, it has no problems. Any ideas what that would be??

He's asking $600.00, a decent price, esp with the bagger, but the engine has me troubled. I'm no small engine (or large, for that matter ;) ) mechanic.

ANY other info on this model of tractor would be a huge help to me.

Thanks!!!
Quote Post Goto Top

glenn27
Unregistered

Prob. a B/Stratton on it....
Quote Post Goto Top

Bernie
Member Avatar
Massey Boy!

wEc1 to LMC!

the engine problem sounds like its running to rich. which could be an adj on the carb,a float problem or even a very dirty air cleaner.

as far as telling which motor it is, if you could get some #s off the motor we can probably confirm the model of the motor and maybe the year of it also. on the top of the motor is the metal shroud you can most often find them there in a series (model-type-code) or something simular.

we have a member (Mith) who has some newer wheelhorses so maybe he can add to this. Thm:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mith
The Eccentric Englishman

Jme, can you post the numbers on the serial number tag, on mine it is under the seat.

I think the engine might be a Kawasaki, a couple have Briggs, depends on the year which can be found out from the serial/model number. I worked on a 212-H last week, it had a Kawi on it.

Does the smoke clear up when it gets warm or get worse? Is the oil topped up, is it overfilled? Is there oil in the carb if you take the air filter off and look down? What colour is the plug tip?

I would clean out the fuel system, take the bowl off the bottom of the carb (clean it out and replace), make sure the fuel is fresh, clean the air filter, get a new plug in it. Maybe think about changing the oil. (Hey, if you do that work, sell it as serviced and add $50 ;) )

Not sure what information you are looking for on the tractor, but if you have any questions just ask, I have a 212 myself.
They are good tractors, and youre right, the collector adds a chunk to the price

Mith
The Eccentric Englishman

Ok, Ive had a look,
The tractor came with both a Kawi and the Briggs
You can tell this from the tractor model/serial number or the engine serial no.
Or, say what spark plug is in it, that will indicate too.
Thanks

jmebonner
Unregistered

I'll try to get all the serials and everything by tomorrow. It's just hard to spend the $$ on it unless I know for sure that's the problem, lol. Seems I want steak on a hamburger budget :)
Quote Post Goto Top

Bernie
Member Avatar
Massey Boy!

jmebonner
May 2 2006, 09:18 PM
I'll try to get all the serials and everything by tomorrow.  It's just hard to spend the $$ on it unless I know for sure that's the problem, lol.  Seems I want steak on a hamburger budget :)

I know what you mean. ;)

another option is send me a plane ticket and have some beer waiting when i get there and i'll "git r done" for you. :lol:

But honestly it sounds more like a fuel problem since it doesnt smoke all the time.

jmebonner
Unregistered

Well, just as an update, I told him I'd buy the mower today. I didn't bother with all the motor info, he assured me it ran well. :) I'll get her to the house sometime next wekk hopefully. I'll run through the fuel system and get the serials and report back. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for all the help!!
Quote Post Goto Top

New Beginnings
Member Avatar

What color is the smoke grey/blue indicates oill burnning
black indicates fuel burning
oill burning could be rings crankcase seal valve stems
fuel carb running to rich dirty air filter running with choke on

Mith
The Eccentric Englishman

You can get maunuals using the model number, also parts breakdowns, order numbers.....

All my Toro Wheelhorses smoke a little, under load the 312 grunts and puffs. If you have a heavy load, and floor it from idle to WOT it will kick out smoke, white and black.

jmebonner
Unregistered

Okay, I'm back :)

I picked up the mower today and brought her home. Not in bad shape! I used it to mow the yard and I'm happy, much better than pushing the old toro around.

Here are the numbers I could find, none of them seem to work for me on Toro's website.

Under the seat: ID# 32120E01 11272

On the mower deck: ID# 3537SL02 25895

On the engine: Model # E125V-N/109643

Serial L893634834

Part 116799

Any info I can get from this would be great. I'd like to see what kind of OEM parts and accessories are available, if any.

Thanks guys!
Quote Post Goto Top

Kid Muddy
Member Avatar
Roses are red, real tractors are blue.

It's a 1990 model. If you go to Toro's Master Parts Viewer and put in model number 32-12OE01 you can see assembly drawings, attachments, etc.

To order Toro parts online, I use http://www.rcpw.com/Oem_Parts.htm
HTH

Oh, and now we need pictures! Thm:

jmebonner
Unregistered

Thanks KM!! It was the "O" and the "0" that got me. I'm still not sure which motor it is, as the diagrams still say it's a "Toro Power" motor. The 10 HP variety is B&S, but the 12.5 doesn't say :/

And I'll try to get pics up in the next couple days. Not real impressive though ;) I'd like to find some attachments for it, but I suspect it will be difficult.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mith
The Eccentric Englishman

We will be able to tell which engine by a picture when you get them up.

I modified my 212 to accept attachments, if you are handy you may be able to get a few ideas from what I did, but there are no factory ways to attach attachments.

Kid Muddy
Member Avatar
Roses are red, real tractors are blue.

It's an Onan engine. Go to Milaca Lawn, click on the Parts Look Up link, then check under Toro Consumer Products. You can search by model number or Product Line. Find the model number, click on it, and you'll have the IPL and a whole lot of other info for your Toro. Thm:

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Technical Help · Next Topic »
Add Reply

" style="font-family: Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 10px; text-decoration: none; color: #314321">Issues  
Tractor Forum, Cub Cadet, Cub, Cadet, IH, MTD, Parts, Tractors, Tractor, International Harvester, Lawn, Garden, Lawn Mower, Kohler, garden tractor equipment, lawn garden tractors, antique garden tractors, garden tractor, PTO, parts, online, Original, 70, 71, 72, 73, 76, Spirit of 76, 80, 81, 86, 100, 102, 104, 105, 106, 107, 109, 111, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 147, 149, 169, 182, 282, 382, 482, 580, 582, 582 Special, 680, 682, 782, 782D, 784, 800, 805, 882, 982, 984, 986, 1000, 1015, 1100, 1105, 1110, 1200, 1250, 1282, 1450, 1512, 1604, 1605, 1606, 1610, 1615, 1620, 1650, 1710, 1711, 1712, 1912, 1914, Bolens, Case, Ingersoll, Colt, Craftsman, Sears, Ford, Gravely, Ariens, Honda, Husqvarna, Dixon, Jacobsen, John Deere, Kubota, Massey Ferguson, MTD, Murray, Power King, Economy, Tractors, Simplicity, Allis Chalmers, Snapper, Troy-Bilt, Toro, Wheelhorse, 2-Wheeled Tractors, Rear Engine Rider Mowers, Briggs, Stratton, Briggs & Stratton, Reel, Rotary, Zero Turn, Antique, Restorations, Restore, Clinton.