Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Guiding Light Officially Cancelled!
Topic Started: Apr 1 2009, 01:55 PM (901 Views)
dkp
Member Avatar
OLTL rocks!
yeah, not surprised by this, it was either deal or Pyramid. I think this show has a pretty good chance of failing, despite being much less costly to produce. Game shows have a high failure rate. One of the main reasons GL was canceled was because it was last in the key demo, women 18-49. So, CBS chooses a gameshow that hasn't been viable in 30 years? Then they pick a guy to host it, Wayne Brady, who already has 3 or 4 failed talk/game shows under his belt? Yeah, sounds like a winner to me. ^o) Although, if/when it fails, that could be good news ATWT, because if CBS has trouble filling GL's spot, they could keep ATWT around another year.
Posted Image

-------------------------------------
DeRo reunited 9/29/09...about damn F*ing time!!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AnthonyL
Member Avatar
Doing all the heavy lifting.....
I think it's going to be a big bust. And I know many stations are not even going to air it. They're not here in DC. Let's hope it helps keep ATWT on.
Check out my column GAYS OF OUR LIVES at AfterElton.com

Longtime

If they're counting on me watching, then those ladies in the audience better be wearing some freaky sexy costumes...because I could care less whether they win the trip to Aruba or not. And don't you find it interesting how Freemantle is bringing another "Whose Line" cast to CBS?

dkp
Member Avatar
OLTL rocks!
Here's another article:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/03/whats-behind-that-curtain-lets-make-a-deal-to-replace-guiding-light/

This part is interesting:

Nina Tassler, the president of CBS Entertainment, warned of other potential daytime changes. She said that another long-running CBS soap, “As The World Turns,” is also facing “ratings challenges” and that CBS is “looking at all of daytime very carefully.”

Ms. Tassler said that CBS had taped three game-show pilots, including “Let’s Make A Deal,” in the search for a replacement for “Guiding Light,” indicating that it might have a potential replacement ready to go if it decides that “As The World Turns” has also run its course. Game shows generally are far cheaper to make than daytime dramas, another factor that might weigh in the CBS decision.
Posted Image

-------------------------------------
DeRo reunited 9/29/09...about damn F*ing time!!!

Longtime

James Romanovich quote to Nelson Branco today: Meaning? ??? ?????

What’s next for GL? “Speaking of which, I met with TeleNext Chief, Brian Cahill, yesterday … I have a call in to P&G Productions about GL. Stay tuned. That may, or may not, mean anything.”

Longtime

GL's final week of ratings - from SON

(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — CBS’ “Guiding Light” ends its broadcast run after 72-years with its most watched episode week in more than a year and up as much as 50% in key demographics from its year-ago performance.

During the week of September 14-18, 2009, “Guiding Light” drew an average of 2.6 million viewers and a 1.9/6 in households, placing it third in viewers and seventh in households. This was the soaps most watched week in both categories since the week of March 17-21, 2008. Year-to-Year “Guiding Light” was up by 574,000 viewers and 400,000 households. In Women 18-49, daytime’s most prized demographic, “Light” outranked former corporate sibling “As The World Turns (1.0 vs 0.8) and tied “The Bold and the Beautiful” for 6th place.

On Friday, September 18, 2009, 3 million viewers watched the final episode of “Guiding Light,” placing its third for the day amongst all soaps. The series was seen in 2.2 million households with 6% of all available televisions tuned into “Guiding Light” during the soaps timeslot. The series finale was the most watched episode of “Guiding Light” since the Friday, March 2, 2007 telecast.

As daytime televisions oldest program, “Guiding Light” managed to bring down its median age by 6% year-to-year from 58.1 to 54.9 during its final week on air. Not bad “Guiding Light,” not bad at all.

WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 14-18, 2009

Date Households Rating/Total Viewers (in millions)
MONDAY 1.5/2.05
TUESDAY 1.7/2.50
WEDNESDAY 2.0/2.70
THURSDAY 1.9/2.80
FRIDAY 2.2/3.00
Average 1.9/2.60

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Other Soaps · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This Skin was Created by SickforGaborik/Meow of Signature Sports
Thanks to JPEG for the banner!