Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Plausable Whif advice needed
Topic Started: Feb 25 2017, 09:45 PM (427 Views)
Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
ok so ive just bought a amt valkyrie of ebay for £20 so what do i do with it?

i know shes a beast but has sooooo much whif potential

my first thoughts are to join her to the V-Bomber programme, the time line fits (nearly) - .... after the grounding of the valiant a replacement was needed.........

so an RAF Valkyrie? , if so scheme? i dont like white , but high altitude?

my next thought was of Concorde, so turn the Valkyrie in to an airliner? but again probably means white paint

and then theres the thoughts about a bomber with a parasite fighter attached a bit mistel like (tsr2?)

or even go the full scifi hog and turn her into a space ship

i am thinking of lighting her up anyway, may be get a ananmie tsr2 to go with her?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RJ Tucker
Member Avatar
Patrolling the MMM frontier
Adapt modern era B-52 or B-1 decals to the model & paint it overall gunship gray, OR find decals of a '80s B-52 & paint in the SAC camo scheme.

HTH!

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
RJ Tucker
Feb 25 2017, 10:00 PM
Adapt modern era B-52 or B-1 decals to the model & paint it overall gunship gray, OR find decals of a '80s B-52 & paint in the SAC camo scheme.

HTH!
thats certainly an idea, i have some b-52 seac decals and also a b2 sheet from when i whiffed that

currently im favouring the parsite fighter option

a b-70 carrying a tsr2 in this style http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=28644.0

DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
To withstand the heat at mach 3 it would have to be white or black.

One concorde was painted blue as a Pepsi promotion, and it was limited in speed.

But, if you go with a reduced capability, then anything is on the table...

Oh, and it's a pig of a kit!
Edited by DevilFish, Feb 26 2017, 12:12 AM.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
i know its a pig of a kit, i followed your build, but for £20 i couldnt say no

as for speed if its going to carry a fighter the speed would be lowered anyway, by weight and aerodynamics

i dont know what to do

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Keep it low level and go for the IDF Desert scheme.

DevilFish
Member Avatar
SAC silver? Although it has already been done.

There is a site with some what if suggestions on for the XB70

Air force one?

DLG Dave
Lt Dave 'Wraith' Carter
Due to the shape and the specific era, maybe the Canadian CF-105 might be a better parasite fighter - carried on the spine? There had been a suggestion project for the real XB-70 to carry a later (and unbuilt) variant of the X-15 airframe.

Posted Image

There had also been an earlier suggestion to configure the CF-105 with twin fins. Always thought it would look nice in one of the earlier Lightning schemes. 92, 56 or 74.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
that does look cool

ive had an epihany i think but a little more research needed

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
SOOO.....

the argies take over the falklands the Navy go so there stuff but the RAF want to help, so 2 options bomb the runway on stanley or....... reinforce the paras that are taking back the runway

so a cunning plan is devised to reinforce the base with lightnings!!!

beowulf
Member Avatar
Lt. Paul 'Red Dog' Rose
thunderbirds.............and not the septic display team! :rolf
Edited by beowulf, Feb 27 2017, 09:41 AM.

TomTheCat
Member Avatar
airbrush beginner
The B-1 was initially designed as a high-speed high-altitude bomber and later converted to low-level operations.

The Vulcan did carry camouflage colours in her later career. So why shouldn't the B-70, in a whif, be dressed in drab?

I seem to remember that the SR-71 / YF-12 was supposed to be able to carry some sort of drone on her spine. Looked like an extra engine with delta wings...

A B-70 with a parasite TSR or F-104 or F-106 would look pretty cool. It's a whif, so anything goes :laugh:

DevilFish
Member Avatar
Might have to dig mine out of the attic and give it a refurb....

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Being an old fart I mixed up the B-1 and the B-70 so ignore my comment re low level.

Chillidragon
Plastic fiddler
This may not be a 'whif'.
An aviation magazine ran an article a few years back when it was reported that 'Aurora' had been discontinued; a name which corresponded with no known programme in the USA. Speculation was that it was a high speed reconnaissance aircraft carried by a larger launch platform; Italeri did it as what looked to me like a Boeing Dyna-Soar on a stretched SR-71.

Wrong.

One claim in the magazine was by a former USAF ground crewman and aviation enthusiast who remembers an aircraft landing at his base amid secrecy, towed straight into a hangar and put under armed guard. He blagged a look, and describes the aircraft as being grey, with USAF markings. He identified it as a B70.

So; B70 carrying a Dyna-Soar? Does Anigrand do a kit of the latter, I wonder?
Edited by Chillidragon, Feb 21 2018, 07:46 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Modelling Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: