Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Recommendation for Fast drying CA
Topic Started: Oct 3 2017, 06:09 AM (50 Views)
Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
guys im after a very fast drying CA for 'rigging' etc any surgestions
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cimmerian
Member Avatar
Lt. Ken 'Albatros' Jeffrey
I always do rigging with CA on one part and accelerator on the other. Works a treat.

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
CA comes in four grades, thin, medium, thick and gel. The thinner it is the quicker it goes off. I use 'Rocket' brand for the thin with the fine line applicator tube straight from the bottle. I get cheap EBay medium grade as most of that I use for making up filler with talc. Trouble for rigging is that the thin is too thin to let you put a 'bead' on the surface to attach it to. I use thin elastic thread with grips very quickly to minute amounts of medium CA. You can always use accelerator which sets off any grade of CA almost instantaneously but for rigging you tend to need three hands to use it and it can turn residual CA a white colour.

Cimmerian
Member Avatar
I'm missing two fingers, so I manage on 1 and a half hands. :grin:

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
Trouble is I stretch the elastic as part of the gluing process so can't predict the point of contact and pre-apply activator. One hand holding the model, one pulling the elastic into position, I have been known to try applying activator with a brush held in my teeth but with limited success!

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
I always fixed one end of the stretchy aerial to find the best location for the other end then a drop of accelerator on the end before just touching pre-placed CA.
Edited by Olde Farte, Oct 3 2017, 12:08 PM.

Cimmerian
Member Avatar
Simon G
Oct 3 2017, 08:33 AM
Trouble is I stretch the elastic as part of the gluing process so can't predict the point of contact and pre-apply activator. One hand holding the model, one pulling the elastic into position, I have been known to try applying activator with a brush held in my teeth but with limited success!
I always put the CA on the model, put accelerator onto the elastic. I did find I used to cut the elastic too short which put too much pressure on it, got a lot better at it recently...never have tried the teeth method though. :grin:

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
cheers guys

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Modelling Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply