Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Revell 1/48 Tornado F.3 ADV; (03925)
Topic Started: Oct 7 2017, 10:26 PM (329 Views)
DH764
Member Avatar
Totally Tonkas Bonkas !!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Revell 1/48 Tornado F.3 ADV

For a look back at the In box review ....click the link below :thumb:
In-Box Review

Part One

This wont be an in depth review as I would be repeating most of the Tornado IDS/GR4 build review. I will point out any build differences with this kit versus the other though .
The first couple of stages involve gluing the front wheel bay and then cockpit tub to the lower fuselage ...no problems here .

Posted Image

Cockpit tub , instrument panels and other cockpit parts were painted with Vallejo Model air Barley Grey which by a curious twist of fate is actually a bit too dark a shade for Barley Grey but matches the Tornado interior Grey very well :D
Once dry all parts were given a Gloss Varnish coat ready for decals to be added .

Posted Image

Posted Image

While I was waiting for the varnish to dry I attached the main wheel bays , lower intake trunking and engine turbine faces to the fuselage .
I then added the upper part of the intake trunking. Fit is very positive.
You dont really have to paint the insides as it is difficult to see down the trunking once the model is complete......I gave it a quick blast of paint just in case.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I now returned back to the cockpit and added the kit decals. I found that these are very good representations of the actual thing.
I normally paint my Tonka cockpits but after using these decals they may become my choice of finish from now on .
Bedded down well with Micro Sol.
I then added all parts and we now have a Tornado F3 cockpit ....minus seats which Ill complete towards the end of the build.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Up to Stage 12 already .....here I added the front fuselage sections , parts R215 and R216.....I found these needed a bit of wriggling about to get into place but once in the correct place they just clicked together....Tamiya Extra Thin and capillary action made light work of the joins.

Posted Image

Posted Image

In stage 13 dismiss the option to blank the gun port with part P248 ....this is only for applicable for the Tornado ECR variant (hopefully next reissue ).
Use part M27 and E29.
This turns out to be a poor fit .... its too short.

Posted Image

Nothing as bad as some Vallejo putty , a fine sander and about 5 minutes needed to make things good ! :thumb:

Posted Image

Next thing to be added are the rear fuselage sides ....be careful trying to get all surfaces lined up .....its a good fit but care needed to avoid steps along the seams.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The last thing for part one of this build is the most important !!!
In stage 15 , just like previous releases of the Tornado kits , parts B39 and B40 are incorrectly numbered and fitting as such will cause a whole lot of trouble when trying to fit the wings so take note .....
Swap part B39 with B40 and vice versa .....thats B39 on the right and B40 on the left.

Posted Image

The small tab faces forward....thats Part B40 .

Posted Image

End of part one of the build....more soon .

Andy
Edited by DH764, May 5 2018, 12:43 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
good start mate

i reall am goingto have to get a few of these

Disorder
Member Avatar
Lt Paddy 'Chancer' Boyle
Looking good already :cool

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Looking good with a quick start Andy.

I find myself using cockpit decals more and more as they are getting more realistic all the time with instrument detail.

DH764
Member Avatar
Totally Tonkas Bonkas !!
Been way to long since I had any free time !!

Wings fitted to the main body....no big issues here .

Posted Image

Time to add the upper fuselage and spine.......and thats when I noticed a part on the sprue that shouldnt be on it....it should be on the kit !! :(

Posted Image

Oh dear....Revell Instructions have caught me out once again !!
Heres the part.....

Posted Image

Yes...the new rear instrument panel that is not mentioned on the instruction guide as it still points you to the GR/IDS rear panel :slap:

Posted Image

Dont use the part A15.....use the part on Sprue S .

I fitted the upper fuselage and spine and lets just say a picture tells a thousand words !!

Posted Image

I couldnt get a perfect fit and I knew that the worst part of the Revell Tornado kits are the intake fit so I half expected this would require a bit of filling and sanding to get an acceptable join.

Sides are not too bad....

Posted Image

Undersides are nothing short of terrible and required a fair bit of filler to make good the joins.

Posted Image

Lots of time spent correcting those nasty joins.
It seems to be a result of having the intake trunking that the intake assembly suffers. To be honest I much prefer the Italeri kits simpler intake construction.

Couple of sink marks either side of the front of the spine that need filling.

Posted Image

I then added the wing nib fairings and once again I had to sand/shave bits of plastic to get a decent fit.
Forgot to say that Im doing mine with flaps up ........doing flaps down is another story I have to tell you about one day !!

Posted Image

Before fitting the nose I added some nose weight and instead of using the kits plastic nose pitot , which would quite easily break off and isnt the correct size/shape , I replaced it with a metal one from Master...... LINK
Some sanding needed for a flush fit.

Posted Image

I made up the fin ( some filler needed for the front fillet/ RWR receiver attachment to fit flush) and it suddenly looks like a Tonka :)

Posted Image

Its took a lot more effort than I originally planned to get this far and the instructions have been unhelpful at times .....something Revell need to address before the next re-issue.

More soon....

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Looks good Andy and watch that pitot, it will break and you could find it stuck inside some bloody skin like I did, now always the last part to go on.

Nikon User
Member Avatar
"BEAVER"
Good stuff so far Andy. It is a shame Revell haven't addressed the fit issues with this kit.

TomTheCat
Member Avatar
airbrush beginner
Uuuhh, I think I'll re-evaluate my need for a 1/48 F.3. I guess that the 1990s Italeri genes do show through after all...

Re the rear instrument panel: When one is using the decals, does it make a difference if they use the plastic parts from sprue A or S?

DH764
Member Avatar
Totally Tonkas Bonkas !!
I can finally update this .....sorry for the monumental delay chaps :dead

After all the trials of the build and unhelpful instructions I finally got to the stage where paint could be added.

Posted Image

I then pre shaded in Black and then used paints from the Hataka Redline range.....very nice paints.
Light Aircraft Grey first....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now for the fun bit...painting and masking the fin ......
Vallejo Model Color Flat Red first.

Posted Image

I then dry fitted the fin ILS aerials and traced the 23 sqn Eagle badge onto the fin ...this gives you a better reference for where to mask off the Red area of the fin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next....masked off and added Vallejo Model Color Prussian Blue 70965 ( Hu25 is a good match too).
What looks a complicated pattern to paint turned out to be quite straightforward.

Posted Image

Posted Image

More masking for the Barley Grey upper surfaces and then detail painting , sweep areas , RWR areas and the radome.
Ready for decals now :cool

Posted Image

Decals and finishing in next update.

Andy

DH764
Member Avatar
Totally Tonkas Bonkas !!
Started the decals and very impressed :thumb:
The walkway stencil markings are the easiest Ive ever applied :clap:

Posted Image

Always a strong point with Revell kits ....decals went on with no troubles at all.

Posted Image

Weathering next ....time to get dirty but not too dirty. :grin:
A Flory Dark wash added.....

Posted Image

Just added a few sticky out bits and she was all done :cool

Posted Image

Posted Image

Conclusion

Where to start .....get the negatives out of the way first.
For a modern tool it certainly takes a lot of extra effort in clean up and fitting to get right. No doubt a result of the module style build up .
The instructions are embarrassing at times and just plain wrong in areas.
Some serious reorganisation in the Revell Instruction Dept needs to be applied because how these got beyond quality control is beyond me !! :(
Good points now......this is by far the most detailed and accurate early service Tornado F3 in any scale and certainly looks the part when complete.
For a late service F3 you need differing armament but that is quite readily available.

So well done in the main but the instructions are a let down.
A difficult build at times so I would really only recommend this kit to all but the beginner.

Big thanks to Revell and the RA team for the review sample and making me one very happy Tonka fan :yipee

Posted Image

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers.
For details visit ;

Revell Website

Revell Facebook

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Very, very nice but those fin colours, my god.

DH764
Member Avatar
Totally Tonkas Bonkas !!
Olde Farte
May 5 2018, 12:38 PM
I know how much you love special schemes Del :rolf

Andy

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
DH764
May 5 2018, 12:41 PM
Olde Farte
May 5 2018, 12:38 PM
I know how much you love special schemes Del :rolf

Andy
:rolf :rolf :rolf

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Full Build Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply