Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
IJA light tank Type 95; IJA tank emplacement on Iwo Jima
Topic Started: Oct 18 2017, 05:11 AM (480 Views)
blainecole
airbrush beginner
I am beginning another project which, when finished, I will donate to the Japan Ground Self Defense Forces Officer Candidate School. Emplacements for the Type 95 light tank were dug in around the island in preparation for defending the island against assault by the USMC. I will be deciding on one of three diorama scenes based on photographs taken in the aftermath of the battle.
Fine Molds produces good quality kits, many of specialized subjects, with a focus on the Imperial Japanese forces of WWII. The kit itself is rather basic, so I will be adding a metal barrel, photo etch parts, and individual link tracks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The tank in the photo below is not a Type 95, but it is possible that a Type 95 could have been in a similar emplacement.

Posted Image

A USMC map denotes Hill 382, Turkey Knob, and The Amphitheater. A number of tanks were embedded in these areas. One of their roles was to protect the airfields.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
You do like to keep busy Blaine, looks to be an interesting build.

I've deleted your other thread.
Edited by Olde Farte, Oct 18 2017, 08:10 AM.

blainecole
airbrush beginner
The basic kit and the additional photo etch parts from Fine Molds. Also the indi-link tracks from Modelkasten.

Posted Image

This is the first kit I have seen offered by Fine Molds that includes white metal parts. In this case, for the tow cable, track tensioner, and exhaust.

Posted Image

Posted Image

What did I get myself into? Not sure when I will begin the tracks, but they will need a good deal of time. each pair of track links must be set with a follower and two track pins. The sprue should act as a useful tool to set and cement the pins into the links. Then again, I always refer to this as my pastime.

Posted Image

Also unusual, the lower hull is molded in five separate pieces, plus an internal bulkhead and seat. I haven't come across such an arrangement on previous tanks.

Posted Image

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Oh my Blaine, sooner you than me after looking at those track bits and you must have the patience of a saint.
Edited by Olde Farte, Oct 20 2017, 08:11 AM.

beowulf
Member Avatar
Lt. Paul 'Red Dog' Rose
this looks good, are you going to do the multi colour paint scheme too?

blainecole
airbrush beginner
Derek: The Officer Candidates I instruct may beg to differ with you.

Paul: It will be the standard "fleeting cloud" camouflage in tri-color. I think because of the terrain, they forewent the yellow. Mr. Color makes two different sets for the tri-color camouflage; Mr. Color CS662, and CS663.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
blainecole
Oct 21 2017, 02:33 PM
Derek: The Officer Candidates I instruct may beg to differ with you.

Ah right, the day job I assume Blaine. :wicked :WHIP

blainecole
airbrush beginner
Derek: A day job of sorts. Although, a fortnight ago, I was out for dinner with friends. A number of my students were out as well. You would have thought they saw the devil himself. My friends got a real kick out of it.

Not a lot to the Type 95 light tank. The lower hull went together easily. The road wheels and followers are designed to roll freely, which is nice. There is no real suspension with the kit, but it won't be a problem considering the display I will be making.

Posted Image

The detail parts for the drivers' hatch and view port. The parts to either side and below will form brackets and a hinge to display the hatch open. The three frames on the right will be installed inside the hatch. They are frames for bullet proof glass. It's an interesting arrangement, as there is only one view port, but three panes of glass.

Posted Image

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
I can imagine their faces :rolf

blainecole
airbrush beginner
For a very small tank, this kit has quite a few metal and photo etch parts. Below are some attachment points for the aft lower hull.

Posted Image

Excluding the barrel, all of the detail up parts have been attached or fitted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This configuration of three mud flaps seems a bit odd.

Posted Image

The star denoting the Imperial Japanese Army has been replaced with the anchor of the Japanese marines.

Posted Image

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
:like

blainecole
airbrush beginner
Back at it after a short break. Finishing up with the photo etch parts. In this case the butterfly nuts (I know, I know) for the commanders' hatch. Also, the basic paint scheme has been applied. The color names are parched grass, green grass, and earth. Now on to putting the rubber on the road wheels, and then final assembly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Looks very good Blaine.

Someone will ask so it better be me, did the butterfly go quietly or did it scream? I'll get my coat....................... :sofa

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
looks good mate

Jonesy113
Member Avatar
Nick 'Token' Jones
:like

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Armour · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: