Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Norwich International Aviation Academy with Tiger Links
Topic Started: Nov 20 2017, 11:51 AM (87 Views)
tc2324
Member Avatar
LCDR Tony `Banana's` Clay
A couple of months back, I and other members of the 74(F) Tiger Squadron Committee, were invited to visit Norwich Airport. (Or if your old enough to remember, RAF Horsham St Faith). Horsham back in the day was home to the Tigers when they operated Meteors and Hunters throughout the 1950`s.

Our first stop of the day was to 74`s old number 2 hangar which is still in use to view a piece of Tiger artwork which, thanks to the present workers on site, has been preserved the best they can.

Number 2 hangar as it is today......

Posted Image

...... and just inside the front door protected by a frame and glass with all the original paint ......

Posted Image

Posted Image

This visit was a special one off `by invitation only` so it was a privilege to be involved in this viewing and we were very happy that the guys there respected the significance of this 50 year old artwork.

Next up was a visit to the Norwich aviation museum which houses the front end of a Hunter turned simulator as well as a decent 74 sqn display. (The Hunter by the way did serve with 74 at Horsham and was written off in a take off accident. The pilot walked away from the crash).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The last visit of the day was to the Academy itself for a quick meeting and private tour. The new hangar has been built on the footprint of one of the old H2`s, however a section of wall from the old hangar which serviced B-24`s during the war, has been retained. All the planned exhibits were not in place yet on the day of our visit but it is open to the public and worth a visit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can see the old bit of hangar wall to the left in the following photo.......,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you want to know more about the Academy`s aims, then click the link below for more details.

http://www.aviationskillspartnership.com/careers/international-aviation-academies/iaan
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
looks like a good trip, its nice to see theyve saved the tiger on the wall
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tc2324
Member Avatar
My 1/48 scale model`s of the different types of aircraft flown by 74(F) Tiger Squadron are now on display at the Norwich Aviation Academy...., if your ever passing?

https://www.facebook.com/IAANorwich/?fref=ts

http://www.aviationskillspartnership.com/careers/international-aviation-academies/iaan

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
It's no good Tony, carry on becoming famous like this and we will HAVE to call you sir.

Bloody Facebook won't let me see anything because they slap this big panel across the screen telling me that I HAVE to join to see things, well they can go jump on their bike.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
nice one TC

mac1677
Member Avatar
Lt Mac 'Shocker' McSheffrey
Fantastic Tony :cool :cool

beowulf
Member Avatar
Lt. Paul 'Red Dog' Rose
very nice display, well done sir :clap: :clap:

tc2324
Member Avatar
Thanks all.

I have a couple more to complete to replace some on show and then I start work on building some commission stuff for display like P-47`s, B-24, Mosquito`s and the like which served at Horsham through the ages. It`s not for profit work so the Academy will pay for kits and materials only. It`s going to be a busy time.....!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Aviation Photos and Base Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply