Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Should tamiya be upping their game
Topic Started: Dec 31 2017, 11:22 AM (180 Views)
kpnuts
Airbrush master
Hi all I was just thinking of the quality of the new Airfix and Revell kits and I was thinking the new stuff is as good and with ref to the Revell 1/24 HLF20 Varus 4x4 better than Tamiya IMHO at 25 to 40% cheaper I get the feeling they're doing what the British bike industries did when the Japanese bikes came on the market and dismissed them as no competition, I think it's getting to the point where the lines between who make the best kits are starting to blur Airfix and Revell are making amazing strides it fit, accuracy and detail.

What are your feelings on the subject.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Disorder
Member Avatar
Lt Paddy 'Chancer' Boyle
In a word - Yes.
There's no denying it, I'm a Tamiya fan, but even I can see that a lot of their old toolings should be consigned to the bin.
They also need to start bringing out new kits of their own, instead of re-boxing others.
Not that I'm complaining about the re-boxings. The Italeri Crusader tank that they released was always a lovely kit and it was nice to see it updated (slightly).

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
I can only speak for aircraft subjects.

Airfix and Revell are getting better although the quality isn't consistant in that some new kits are better than others.

Tamiya arn't standing still, their kits keep improving although given such a high start point the improvements tend to me more evolutionary than revolutionary.

Interesting both Airfix and Revell are starting to jack up their prices so the value for money argument is getting less clear, the new Airfix 1/48 Mustang costs about the same as Tamiya.

To my mind Tamiya are still a league ahead in terms of quality, but you pays your money . . . .

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Tamiya etc. have got complacent with their knowing that just the names sells kits so just keep flogging oldies with new decals and in Hasegawa's case adding small bits of resin and doubling prices. Airfix and the Chinese are entering a whole new world and producing models that haven't been seen before and in very good quality although in some cases not totally accurate which is easily fixed by aftermarket bits. Lets be honest who wants to buy re-re-re-re-issues with raised panel lines and new decals, sheer waste of cash for the buyer to my mind. The only way to try and force a change is to do what I did and refuse to buy old kits put out time and time again by Hasegawa, Tamiya etc. as re-issues that way we could maybe change things. The old moulds have paid for themselves over and over again but the profits still roll in for the bosses.

Who in their right mind would go and buy a 1960s designed and unaltered but brand new car when newer and better ones are available from other manufacturers just because people like the original name. You laugh but isn't this what we are doing at the moment with our models just because it's hasetamfujimi and ridiculing Trumpeter, HobbyBoss etc. for being far more adventurous.

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
I'm not sure it's fair to slate the Japanese manufacturers alone for banging out old plastic in new boxes. Airfix have in their current range the 1/24 Mustang that was first released 45 years ago, and now it's a whopping £65!!

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
They are all guilty but only because they say there is a market, I reiterate my comments re 1960s cars.
Edited by Olde Farte, Dec 31 2017, 03:54 PM.

kpnuts
Airbrush master
I'm only going from my latest tamiya purchase of 1/48 Douglas skyraider and comparing it to my latest Airfix and Revell kits, there is no comparison the Airfix and Revell kits walk all over the Tamiya kit in fit and detail.

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
Olde Farte
Dec 31 2017, 03:52 PM
I reiterate my comments re 1960s cars.
If I could afford an E Type Jag I would have one. :grin:

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
kpnuts
Dec 31 2017, 04:47 PM
there is no comparison the Airfix and Revell kits walk all over the Tamiya kit in fit and detail.
In terms of fit I have to say in general my personal experience is the exact opposite but the difference is getting less noticeable. In terms of detail it is indeed the case that Airfix/Revell are making efforts, open gun bays e.t.c , but I generally don't display them open and Tamiya are the masters of creating maximum usable detail with the minimum number of parts.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
my too peneth

10 years ago id have agreed tamiya were the holy grail of kits, however over the last few days, revell, airfix, italeri, icm, hobbyboss, dragon have taken over

tamiya dont seem to be charging forward like they used too except for 1/32 super kits, while Dragon have taken the armour mantle

airfix 'can' be hit an miss some crackers then some mistakes

revell are the one to watch, taking and reboxing good kits like ICM and making new tools in all scales and of the recent new release generally they are all good, some silly mistakes on instructions but all good

to ilistrate my point

on a 1 - 10 scale (1= crap, 10 = world beating)

Ten years ago

Tamya = 7
airfix = 4
revell = 5
dragon = who?

now

tamiya = 8
airfix = 7
revell = 8.5
dragon = 9

beowulf
Member Avatar
Lt. Paul 'Red Dog' Rose
and this is why you should use Scalemates so you can find out the age/history of a kit before you pay out those shekels

but to me it dosnt matter too much, i like the challenge of an ancient kit and can never turn down a bargain, and my stuff is never going to show winners anyway

TomTheCat
Member Avatar
airbrush beginner
Each and every model producer should watch their steps.

IMO, everybody is taking shortcuts. Revell are still offering 1/72 aircraft kits which were new tool in the 70s or even 60s. Their 1/48 "Red Bull" T-28 was new tool in 1956! :blink:

Except for the 1/350 Shimakaze, and a couple of obscure anime-inspired machinery, I'm not aware of any new tools by Hasegawa in the last 20 years...

New tools by Tamiya are few and far between. Their most recent 1/32 Mustang is excellent as expected, but it is dismissed for being too expensive and an already exploited subject.

Hobby Boss and Trumpeter are releasing many many new kits of never before seen aircraft, and even subtypes. However, there's one case I can recount myself: Their recent series of Fw190D (Long nose) kits includes the D-9, D-10, D-11, D-12, and the D-13 subtypes. (Tbh, I expect to see a D-14 and D-15 very soon, too.) I admit that of these I only have the D-11 and the D-13. But the only difference between them is one part, the gun cover in front of the cockpit. The part that's supposed to turn the kit into a D-11 is outright wrong. It has obscure bulges that never were on the actual aircraft. The D-13 version part is more likely to resemble the original panels, but I assume that this part alone won't turn the kit into a D-13 because the fuselage that Hobby Boss are providing is the same for the entire series. However, the D-11, D-12 and D-13 had an upgraded engine which necessitated a slilghtly different fuselage cross-section.

I admit that I know a thing or two about Long-nose Doras and that I'm perhaps being a bit too nitpicking, but any model maker who takes their business seriously should be careful with their research, and of course with their accuracy. Why put effort into producing gazillions of subtypes when it's all wrong?

Dragon are, slowly but surely, taking the same stance as Hasegawa. Instead of making genuinely new models, they are offering more and more individualized kits of particular subjects, e.g. Wittmann Tigers et al. Their series of StuG III variants has highs and lows, with excellent kits on one hand and carelessly researched kits on the other.

Yes, all of them are making new and good models, yet all of them are still exploiting existing moulds. Who are we to blame them? They have to fight to stay in the business, and whenever one fails, there is one less contender to choose from for us. Let's hope that the new Chinese competitors inspire the established ones to, well, up their game. Singling out Tamiya is not fair. The new kits by Airfix and Revell are best reflecting this effort already.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Simon G
Dec 31 2017, 05:19 PM
Olde Farte
Dec 31 2017, 03:52 PM
I reiterate my comments re 1960s cars.
If I could afford an E Type Jag I would have one. :grin:
Brand new without all modern trimmings like air-con, power steering etc. and let's not forget no air-bags. Hmmm I don't think so.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Modelling Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply