Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Eduard 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk IXc early version; 8282
Topic Started: Jan 14 2018, 09:52 AM (337 Views)
mac1677
Member Avatar
Lt Mac 'Shocker' McSheffrey
Hi guys,
I have decided to build a Spitfire for my next build in this GB, it will sit nicely next to the S-199 I think :grin:

Here is the kit:
Posted Image

And the scheme I am going for,I have chosen this as I quite like the different camouflages on the engine cowlings:
Posted Image

I do not have this particular decal sheet, but I have had a shuftie and I can cobble it together from 2 or 3 sheets I have.

I am going to start this build later on today, so stay tuned :grin:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
is it done yet?

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
I like the mismatched engine panels, all standard RAF colours I presume with the rest in Olive Drab.

Edit.....With the IDF being a specific interest for me I have discovered that many of the Spitfires were cobbled together with airframes etc. left behind when the RAF pulled out from Egypt after WW-2 consequently colours were all over the place and very badly weathered. One of the colours used was RLM 68 on Avia S-199s etc. so possibly not RAF Dark Green on the non-RAF colours. Hope it helps.

Edit, Edit... Courtesy of Camouflage and Markings Vol. 3 'The Israeli Air Force Pt 1 1948-1967'

Serial of one Mk IX was D-130 with mismatched cowlings Green/Grey and Sand/Brown with the rest in Green Primer which looks paler than RAF green in photos but not as pale as RLM 68. Most of the Spits were purchased from Czechoslovakia and a deal was made to buy 50 LF.Mk IXes (most had clipped wings) but others were ex Egyptian Air Force. One Egyptian aircraft was shot down by the RAF and others badly damaged when the Egyptians attacked Ramat David thinking that the Israelis had occupied the base, they hadn't and it was Egyptian aircraft there and these were repaired and made airworthy by using parts/spares left behind when the RAF pulled out from Palestine.

The early IDF is an interesting subject and the oddities that they flew enabled them to form their own country of Israel. If anybody needs to build a Blue/Brown over grey scheme the colours are RAL5008/8025 over 7044.
Edited by Olde Farte, Jan 14 2018, 11:11 AM.

Disorder
Member Avatar
Lt Paddy 'Chancer' Boyle
Thats gonna look great!

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
:cool good choice.

mac1677
Member Avatar
Cheers guys, and thanks for the detailed info Del, its much appreciated :cool

Hi all,
Cracked on a bit and got the cockpit done:
Posted Image

I have been musing over which green to use on the Spitfire, and I have decided to use AK Interactive AK2102 Medium Green (FS34102), it should look about right :grin:

Thanks for stopping by :cool:

jelly071
Member Avatar
Rivet Counter
Nice start Chris

mac1677
Member Avatar
Cheers Mike :cool

Hi all,
I really like these Eduard kits :wub: :wub: :wub:

Dry fitted the wings to the fuselage:
Posted Image

All glued together:
Posted Image

Got to remove the outer canon mountings, as this Spit only had one canon:
Posted Image

Canon mount removed and filled, just needs sanded:
Posted Image

More tomorrow, thanks for looking in :grin:

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
:cool

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
A nice start Chris.

jelly071
Member Avatar
Rivet Counter
looking good. I added a Eduard 1:48 - Weekend Hellcat Mk.I to the stash last week. It will be on the bench soon

Disorder
Member Avatar
Lt Paddy 'Chancer' Boyle
Thats quick work, Mac. Looks good.

mac1677
Member Avatar
Cheers lads :grin:

Mike, I have a couple of the Hellcat Profi kits, they look really nice...I may have to break one out soon :whistle

Hi all,
Most of the build is done, I have just left off a couple of breakable bits that will be added later.

Posted Image

I have left the top engine cowling off, just to ease the painting stage.
Posted Image

I hope to get her masked and the canopy blocked off tomorrow, ready for primer and paint.

Thanks for looking in :cool

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Me likey 'cos it's very different.

Disorder
Member Avatar
Lt Paddy 'Chancer' Boyle
Looks great, Mac.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Israel Defence Force - GB · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: