Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hawker Hunter expert needed
Topic Started: Jan 24 2018, 06:24 PM (106 Views)
Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
ok guys

then next part of my plan for 100th Anniversary builds is a couple of big hunters

i have a mk6 and mk9 kit

mk9 no issues however ......

i have the fantasy print shop decals and yes there are mk6 decals, there are a couple of very nice mk4 and 5 schemes

so, what are the EXTERNAL differences between the 4/5/6 i cant see much

different engine, but the same housing and the wing didnt have the external pylon fitting, is that it?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mac1677
Member Avatar
Lt Mac 'Shocker' McSheffrey
Hunter F.4
Additional bag-type fuel tanks in the wings, provision for underwing fuel tanks, Avon 115 (later Avon 121) engine, blisters under the nose for ammunition links, first flight 20 October 1954, 349 built at Kingston-upon-Thames and Blackpool.

Hunter F.5
F.4 with Sapphire 101 engine, 105 built by Armstrong Whitworth at Coventry.

Hunter F.6
Single-seat clear-weather interceptor fighter. Powered by one 10,150 lbf (45.17 kN) Rolls-Royce Avon 203 turbojet engine, revised wing with a leading edge "dogtooth" and four hardpoints, and a follow-up tailplane on later aircraft (also retrofitted to the early production examples) to improve pitch response at high Mach number, first flight 22 January 1954, 384 built.

Hunter F.6A
Modified F.6 with brake parachute and 230 gallon inboard drop tanks, for use at RAF Brawdy, where diversion airfields were distant.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
cheers mac, i saw that but its not clear about this dog tooth, as some pics of mk4, 5 have a dog tooth as well

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
see this is a F4 xe677

Posted Image

but this one doesnt

Posted Image

same with the F5

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
You need to look at restored aircraft with caution, XE677 was at one time an instructional airframe, I'm not sure all the bits are an original fit.

DLG Dave
Lt Dave 'Wraith' Carter
As a VERY broad-brush answer Mark, the two main *external* (and specifically visually *external*) differences are as you've stated. The Parachute pack at tail and the dogtooth. The dogtooth being the most problematical in this case. Not going to go into a can-of-worms about aerials etc. I'm pretty sure, (could be wrong) that the F.6 were manufactured from start with the dogtooth. The F.4 Variant was built with a straight leading edge and I think that the F.5 also was built with the straight leading edge but later examples on the production line introduced the dogtooth.

UK in-service Hunters f.4/5 seem to have been retrofitted with the dogtooth. I don't think the F.4 lasted very long in RAF service, however, the Royal Navy took on some -4 airframes and certainly some of these had the straight leading edge at the beginning and equally certainly were later given the dogtooth. There are other considerations for international users, but I'm assuming you're keeping it to UK-specific airframes.

As always, look out the specific aircraft you want to build and find out as much as you can on it in the period you wish to depict it in. It also helps to depict it 'clean', without pylons.

DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
If you build one that can carry the 230 gal tanks then the flapshave cut outs to clear them. Earlier ones that couldn't carry them didn't.
Look at the academy kit to see what I mean. It comes with both.

smeds
Airbrush master
I worked on Hunters at RAF Brawdy in the 80's. All marks stationed there had brake para housing, F.6, FGA.9 and T.7's. I can't remember which way around it was, but there is a small triangular aerial on the upper nose of either the 6 or 9.

DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
Oh, and the FGA.9 has an ejector gun in a small bulge on the upper wing, above the outer pylon

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
I have just posted a book which will help you Mark, keep it, pass it on or whatever when you have finished with it as I have no further need for it.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
lol

cheers Del

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Cold War Aircraft · Next Topic »
Add Reply