Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Norwich International Aviation Academy Builds Project
Topic Started: Jan 31 2018, 05:43 PM (1,087 Views)
tc2324
Member Avatar
LCDR Tony `Banana's` Clay
So the time has come to start the huge task of building Specsaver kits, (more commonly known as 1/72), for the Norwich International Aviation Academy.

The brief was........, brief. Build for display examples of some aircraft, (not all), that have flown from RAF Horsham St Faith/Norwich Airport over the ages. Well since from 1940 anyways.

The list is distinguished and can be found easily enough on Wiki although as with all things Wiki, not all the info is accurate - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Horsham_St_Faith

The Academy supplied me with a list of their wants and I`m going to approach this in a logical manner by starting at the beginning. The first two kits with a few aftermarket bits are listed below.

To start off with I`m going for a Blenheim Mk.IV. R3843 of 18 Sqn which (operating from Manston) on 19/8/41 dropped a spare leg to Douglas Bader after he was taken POW.

Had to buy a few extra bits like fuselage codes and roundels as the kits were `blacked` over, (by design I might add), and no good for my needs.

Posted Image

You will also note that I`ve bought masks for this and the Defiant as at 1/72 scale, there`s no way my eyes would be able to take that kind of punishment.

I was surprised at how thin the plastic seems to be when held up to the light and I also noticed what looks like damage to the wing roots?? Saying that the detail seems to be quite good on this new version of Airfix`s Blenheim.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Moving on to the Defiant, it`s pretty much a scaled down version of their 1/48 offering, (or is it visa versa??).

Posted Image

Posted Image

One thing I will say from the start is that while I`ll add the correct codes on all the aircraft, I`ve decided not to add serials. Firstly because they are very small and fiddly when you have to cut up them up, (less stress for me also), and secondly because when Joe Public views these in the display case they really are not going to notice.

I`ve also placed this thread here as technically it will not fall into any of the above as lots of different kits will eventually be used. (Mods, feel free to move if you prefer)

More soon.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mac1677
Member Avatar
Lt Mac 'Shocker' McSheffrey
:cool

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
You are a mod you fool!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tc2324
Member Avatar
Mark M
Jan 31 2018, 09:41 PM
You are a mod you fool!
:laugh:

I copied and pasted the whole post from the Diecast Aviation Forum, (where I`m not a mod), and forgot to edit it here.

Proves how old and crap I am...... :dead :grin:

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
Lol I guessed it was something like that but couldn't resist

DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
Great start. I'd love to do something like this....but I'd insist on 1/48, lol

tc2324
Member Avatar
Mark M
Feb 1 2018, 07:28 AM
Lol I guessed it was something like that but couldn't resist
:grin:

Only posting the WIP on here and the Diecast forum as I don`t want to be bothered with the `rivet counters` on the other forums. The diecast forum has a lot of knowledgeable members so it`s always handy to gain their advice on stuff.

tc2324
Member Avatar
DevilFish
Feb 1 2018, 07:50 AM
Great start. I'd love to do something like this....but I'd insist on 1/48, lol

Trust me, I was looking to do all this in 1/48 but then I saw the display cases and it`s just not possible especially when I go to start a B-24...... :grin:

Admittedly I could of done the smaller types in 1/48 and the larger in 1/72. But then the problem arises when `Joe Public` and in particular young kids, view the display and get confused by the scales. Hell, even some parents would get confused so it`s far better to keep it all in one.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
tc2324
Jan 31 2018, 11:26 PM
Mark M
You are a mod you fool!

I copied and pasted the whole post from the Diecast Aviation Forum, (where I`m not a mod), and forgot to edit it here.

Idiot................................... :rolf :rolf

I do like your projects Tony. Question though, why would a diecast forum have plastic kits in it?

tc2324
Member Avatar
Olde Farte
Feb 1 2018, 11:29 AM
tc2324
Jan 31 2018, 11:26 PM
Mark M
You are a mod you fool!

Idiot................................... :rolf :rolf

I do like your projects Tony. Question though, why would a diecast forum have plastic kits in it?
They have a `plastic` section Del.

IIRC when Corgi first started out they used the mold cast`s from Airfix so you will find that Corgi and Airfix releases tend to go hand in hand.

In fact I think most diecast makers will use a plastic manufacturers cast for a subject as most diecast subjects are in 1/72.

tc2324
Member Avatar
So here`s where I`m at as of last night........,

Posted Image

Posted Image

As mentioned the Defiant is pretty much a scaled down `miller lite` version of the 1/48 one. It`s quite simplistic but the same can not be said for the Blenheim. Lots of detail, parts and more glazing that needs to be stuck together than I can shake a stick at. The Blenheim build is certainly not for the beginner that`s for sure.

More soon.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
:pop

DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
The 1/72 Defiant came first. It was mentioned on the Airfix website, that scaling up wasn't just a case of making the parts bigger. that's why the 1/48 is better.....it just is, ok! :whistle

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Interesting about the moulds and diecast models, I never knew that.

Regarding the builds all looks OK so far.

mac1677
Member Avatar
Lt Mac 'Shocker' McSheffrey
Coming along nicely mate :cool

Just as a wee side note, I found the Airfix Blenheim very fiddly too, so much so its now languishing on the shelf of doom :blink:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Work In Progress · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: