Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury
Topic Started: Feb 15 2018, 07:37 AM (208 Views)
DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
Latest off the Airfix presses, the Sea Fury.

Box shot...
Posted Image2018-02-14_10-07-33 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

First the sprues
Posted Image20180214_220329 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Posted Image20180214_220343 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Posted Image20180214_220358 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Posted Image20180214_220412 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Posted Image20180214_220423 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Decal options. HMS Glory, or the RN historical flt
Posted Image20180214_220432 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Instructions are standard modern Airfix, clear and well laid out.
Posted Image20180214_220443 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

A good selection of stores are provided. Rockets, bombs, leaflet bombs, 3 different size drop tanks, and one with a clear front (camera?)
Posted Image20180214_220505 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Posted Image20180214_220500 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Now the bad bit. A lot of these kits have been sent out with short shot tail fins. Not a major issue, as a bit of filler will repair it. I was told mine was ok, but after opening the bags I found it was the same as many others. Like I say, it's not a major issue in my book, but others have been incensed by it...
Posted Image2018-02-14_10-08-53 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

In my opinion, it looks like a great kit of the Hurricanes great (?) grandson, and last of the great piston engine fighters. Good cockpit detail, options for open or folded wings, and a whole host of stores.
Surface detail is what we have come to expect from Airfix, other than a few raised rivets on the tail, which aren't there on the real thing.
All in all, I give it a big thumbs up!

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mac1677
Member Avatar
Lt Mac 'Shocker' McSheffrey
Thanks, great review :cool

IMO the decal options offered in this and the export version are all to similar, there were lots of Sea Fury users perhaps they could have offered a Morrocan version just to shake things up? This minor issue (IMO) wont stop me from buying a couple of the kits, thats what aftermarket decals are for :blink:

DevilFish
Member Avatar
I must admit, I agree with you on the decal front. Although I only do British military for this sort of thing, to me the RN historical Flt option was a waste.
It'll be nice to see if anyone does a 2 seat conversion for it sometime.

Nikon User
Member Avatar
"BEAVER"
Thanks for the review. 1/48 is a good scale for the kit.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
Be interested to see how it copares to the trumpy kit, prices is similar

DevilFish
Member Avatar
Not seen the Trumpeter kit in the plastic, but I doubt it has so many options.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
I've got one in the stash, when I'm back ill dig it out for comparison

DevilFish
Member Avatar
A quick look on line shows that, as usual the Trumpy kit has rivet detail, which the Airfix kit lacks. Personally that's something I don't like about current Airfix kits.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
A nice review thanks but I read in Hyperscale that the gunsight is missing and some are short moulded in the fin area.

peebeep
Member Avatar
resin fondler
The gun sight is missing, there is one on the Eduard PE set (I was going to buy the Eduard set in any case for the trick panels).

There is also a potential short shot on the cowling ring that fits over the exhaust stubs. The little aerodynamic fairings that cover part of the stubs are short shot on some kits.

Agreed about the decal options, although I think the RNHF scheme will be popular. Anybody looking for export versions might want to hang on buying a kit until the kit is re-released later this year with three export options.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You never know, they might have the moulding problems sorted by then.
Edited by peebeep, Feb 15 2018, 11:34 AM.

DevilFish
Member Avatar
As you can see in my photo above, the amount missing from the fin is minimal. I have heard of a few with a couple of mm more missing around the edge, and some with less. Not heard about the cowling ring issue though.

A missing gunsight is hardly a problem. It's probably because they used the RNHF one to measure maybe? I doubt that one has a gunsight. Easy enough item to find in the spares box, or scratchbuild.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Evidently someone on BM has this as a solution for the gunsight. https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB48581

peebeep
Member Avatar
resin fondler
The cowling ring problem is difficult to spot, I was specifically alerted to it and checked out my own kit, which exhibits the problem.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I will probably fix it with some gel cyano blasted with kicker and filed to shape. It was suggested to me another fix would be to cut off the fillet and replace with spare PE shim cut to shape, which is not a bad idea.

My fin short shot is less bad than yours!

Posted Image

I will probably use the same fix, gel cyano, or maybe Milliput. I don't wish to turn this into a big deal, but punters should be aware of potential issues with the kit, which is otherwise rather splendid in my view. Airfix have been let down (once again) by poor QC at the factory, the dimples in the runners as well as the short shots would suggest that the problems are down to machine operation.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Says a lot about quality control though doesn't it, that's if it even exists nowadays.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
As things stand ill stick to my trumpy one

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Airfix Kit Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: