Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Modelcollect 1/72 Flak 40 Zwilling/ Waffentrager E100 (UA72109)
Topic Started: Apr 2 2018, 12:20 AM (123 Views)
peebeep
Member Avatar
resin fondler
Another one in the range of Modelcollect's Wehrmacht '46 subjects. I really like the look of this one despite the fact the idea of mounting 26 tonnes of gun, even on a chassis that weighed 100+ tonnes is hopelessly infeasible (the E100 super heavy tank would have weighed in at 140 tonnes!). The Flak 40 and Flak 40 Zwilling were actual pieces of hardware that saw service in Germany from 1942-45, probably most famously as part of the megastructure flak towers that were constructed in selected locations in Germany. These were formidable weapons that could project a 128mm shell to altitudes exceeding 35,000'. The E100 super heavy tank was essentially a paper project, although one chassis was under construction and was captured by allied forces in 1945.

On to the kit, Modelcollect can boast some extremely cool box art and this is no exception.

Posted Image

Like the other Modelcollect kits I've checked out the box is crammed full of parts.

Posted Image

In no particular order here are the sprues with close ups.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Imagex2

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Imagex2

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Instructions are printed on heavy semi-gloss paper with straightforward line diagram stages (I haven't bothered to show these, sorry) and excellent colour illustrations. Obviously the colour views are purely speculative, but look convincing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rubber band tracks are a bonus from my perspective. They are superbly moulded, are nice and flexible and appear to be the sort of 'plastic' type favoured by Dragon that are easy to glue. Decals are the generic sheet issued with all these kits. The black crosses are pretty much universal for German armour, the numbers should be useful for the chassis and Flak 40's were often pictured with barrel stripes (kill marks?). The little PE fret is pretty much all you need to set things off nicely. Overall this is another excellent looking package from Modelcollect, I'll be looking to put the ones I have on the 'to do' pile sooner rather than later. Recommended.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mac1677
Member Avatar
Lt Mac 'Shocker' McSheffrey
Great review Paul, and thanks for posting it, I am definitely going to get one of these :grin:

I have been following a build on BM, its not the Zwilling, but it has the same chassis, www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235029699-e-100-128mm-waffentr%C3%A4ger/&page=1
Edited by mac1677, Apr 2 2018, 05:57 AM.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Crikey this is one hell of a gun, 35,000 ft I bet the initial bang is loud.

Cimmerian
Member Avatar
Lt. Ken 'Albatros' Jeffrey
Looks like a great kit. Thanks for the review.

peebeep
Member Avatar
resin fondler
Olde Farte
Apr 2 2018, 08:01 AM
Crikey this is one hell of a gun, 35,000 ft I bet the initial bang is loud.
Awesome is overused, but apparently that is what the noise from the flak towers was like during an air raid.

On the topic of flak towers, Modelcollect have this in the pipeline:

Posted Image

They are going to provide one quarter of the tower, apparently it's designed so that you can fit four together to make a complete tower. The kit will come with a Flak 40 Zwilling and presumably the smaller quads. This will not a be small model, because the towers themselves are huge. I say 'are', because they proved almost impossible to demolish and several of them are still standing:

Posted Image

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
I presume that people lived in the flats below so possibly noisy again.

peebeep
Member Avatar
resin fondler
They were purpose built flak towers, self-contained for all the military operating the weapons, including dormitories, canteens, medical facilities etc, plus space for 4000-5000 of the local populace as an air raid shelter. They were constructed from reinforced concrete several feet thickness in places and are essentially indestructible. The British tried to demolish one of the Berlin towers, but gave up after a couple of attempts. Instead they scooped up thousands of tons of rubble from the air raids and turned it into an artificial slope. It's all grassed and planted now.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Thanks for the details Paul, always nice to see the other side of things.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Other manufacturer kit reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply