Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ford Shelby GT500 2010; 1/25 (07044)
Topic Started: Apr 15 2018, 07:07 PM (122 Views)
peebeep
Member Avatar
resin fondler
Posted Image

Ford Shelby GT 500 2010

The origins of the current Ford Mustang cars lie in the legendary Mustang series of cars from the sixties, possibly epitomised by the famous car chase sequence from the film Bullit. Coolest man on the planet in the coolest car - who would argue? Shelby Mustangs were the brainchild of car tuner Carroll Shelby and were manufactured by Shelby American from 1965 to 1968, then by Ford themselves from 1969 to 1970. Current Mustangs represent the fifth generation of the Mustang line and Ford decided to revive the Shelby association to launch a high performance model of the car, in this case a car fitted with a 330 cubic inch/5.4 litre V8 delivering 540 hp. That's quite a few ponies in your pony, if you get my drift, 0-60mph is about 4.5 seconds and top speed is limited to 155mph. On with the kit.

Posted Image

The box art shows a sedately posed GT 500 on a rural road. Hmm. Would have preferred it in the metallic blue, but that's just me.

Posted Image

The box is stuffed almost to bursting with parts and comes with a biggish decal sheet. It's very difficult to verify the provenance of some of these car kits, but my best guess is that this is a reiteration of the kit previously issued by the now defunct Revell US.

Posted Image

The components come in one poly bag, but some of the sprues have their own poly bag which is a good thing for the body shell and transparencies to avoid surface scratching.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The body shell is multi-piece with one large main component and the mouldings look crisp and neatly detailed where appropriate. One gripe, red plastic = meh. In fact red plastic is anathema to me personally due to the difficulty in painting it, even if it's red paintwork. I get it, the box art and instructions are for a red car, but red plastic, just don't go there. Grey plastic would have been fine, it's great for any colour you like and I prefer the metallic blue, but I think I mentioned that already. However...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

...there are a whole bunch of sprues in a nice neutral grey colour that will be easy to prime and paint in the required colours. The floor/base comes as two pieces, the logic of which I think I can see in that it does away with separate firewall and rear bulkhead components that can be tricky to set up for the builder. It is also easier for the toolmaker to get the required detail in the places it's required and conceal the dreaded ejection pin marks. The interior, engine and running gear parts are all well moulded and whilst having a simplified nature there is a satisfactory level of detail that should please all but the most fastidious of modellers. You will need to provide your own engine wiring and seat belts if you want them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The transparencies are very nicely done, they are clear and as distortion free as you could expect. One puzzling thing, there's no glazing for the doors. Do Mustang owners insist on driving around with the windows down permanently? Weird. With respect to the chromed sprue it's definitely a case of 'my eyes, my eyes!' I would probably keep the chrome for the mirrors, lamps and maybe the badges, but the wheels are an absolute no, no.

Posted Image

You get vinyl tyres - what else these days - that need a bit of the shine knocked off them to give a more realistic appearance.

Posted Image

Four little metal pins, that I have kept sealed in the bag to prevent loss. These are for fitting the wheels to the axles and is a very sensible thing in my opinion, car wheels joined plastic to plastic can be very vulnerable, this should give a much better joint.

Posted Image

The decal sheet is nicely printed and as seems to be usual with Revell, offers different registration plate options. The brake disc vents and slots is a nice touch and perfectly acceptable in my view for something that is mostly out of sight. There are various items to make the interior look more interesting, plus seat trims and go faster stripes for the bodywork.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's the now standard instruction sheet header and finishes guide, printed on semi-gloss paper and well illustrated throughout. I've had a good look through the instructions and can't find any obvious errors or omissions, although building the model might change that.

This is a neat looking kit from Revell, one or two anomalous things that I have mentioned, but overall not at all bad package if cars are your thing, especially fans of American muscle cars.

Review sample courtesy of Revell.

Posted Image

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers.
For details visit:

Revell Website

Revell Facebook
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cimmerian
Member Avatar
Lt. Ken 'Albatros' Jeffrey
Looks like a nice model, but they lost me with the red plastic.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Nice review of a PROPER Mustang, hot engine, no prop and 4 wheels.

peebeep
Member Avatar
resin fondler
Cimmerian
Apr 16 2018, 06:32 AM
they lost me with the red plastic.
It's the bums rush, although there's always Mr Surfacer.

peebeep
Member Avatar
resin fondler
Olde Farte
Apr 16 2018, 09:23 AM
Naughty Delboy, no biscuit! :rolf

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
peebeep
Apr 16 2018, 10:25 AM
Olde Farte
Apr 16 2018, 09:23 AM
Naughty Delboy, no biscuit! :rolf
Why is one always castigated when telling the truth, anyway mustn't eat biscuits because they are too sweet and the ones I can are so boring. Now sod off before I hurt you. :whistle :rolf :rolf

peebeep
Member Avatar
resin fondler
:rolf
Edited by peebeep, Apr 17 2018, 10:39 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Revell Kit Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply