Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Practicing rigging
Topic Started: Apr 17 2018, 06:37 AM (92 Views)
DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
As I have a few biplanes to do, I thought it best I find a rigging technique that works. Here's my first attempt, using an old SMER Se.5a.
This is the "elastic and holes" technique.

Posted Image20180416_223944 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

On the whole ok, but I find the attachment points are a bit messy, not that you can see them in this photo.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
The ways I've seen is that you paint the topside of the lower wings and the bottom side of the tops before joining them with the braces and attached to the fuselage and each other then rig leaving the ends trapped inside then attach both the upper and lower side of the wings to their pre-installed mates. Of course no good if wings are in one piece.

DevilFish
Member Avatar
The SE.5a's wings are unfortunately, one piece.

The problem I have is, that I have already applied the decals to the lower half of the lower wing, which makes cleaning up impossible. I'm trying to figure out a way to do this without drilling through them....

peebeep
Member Avatar
resin fondler
Don't drill all the way through, all you need is a pilot hole deep enough to secure the elastane. If you drill at the same angle as the lie of the cable you have a bit more material to play with. I do all the drilling before assembling or painting anything.

DevilFish
Member Avatar
peebeep
Apr 17 2018, 10:46 AM
Don't drill all the way through, all you need is a pilot hole deep enough to secure the elastane. If you drill at the same angle as the lie of the cable you have a bit more material to play with. I do all the drilling before assembling or painting anything.
How do I pull it tight then?

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
cut them slightly short, then stretch them into place, secure using ca and excelerator

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
peebeep
Apr 17 2018, 10:46 AM
That would have been my next suggestion. A couple of sites which may help.

http://austinsms.org/article_seaman.php

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/aligningandriggingabiplanegp_1.htm

DevilFish
Member Avatar
Mark M
Apr 17 2018, 10:58 AM
cut them slightly short, then stretch them into place, secure using ca and excelerator
:rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf

peebeep
Member Avatar
resin fondler
What Mark said. The thread only needs be 2-3mm short, once stretched into place it will be perfectly taut. I've never been able to master taking a picture with one hand whilst stretching the thread with tweezers in the other, but here's before and after shots.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Hang something on the end of the rigging, this will keep things in place whilst glue sets and also enable 2 hands for photography, a simple washing peg will do the trick.

I been reading bits and pieces and most if not all agree that on single piece wings drill holes right through, clean up then paint top wing underside and bottom wing topside, fix the struts and attach to fuselage. Once done and set, thread rigging through the pre-drilled holes and secure, once set hard clean up and fill any holes then paint and decal as normal.

Cimmerian
Member Avatar
Lt. Ken 'Albatros' Jeffrey
Olde Farte [url

That looks really useful for aligning the wings. That's the main reason my cabinet only has German aircraft in it and the British ones are all stacked in boxes in the cave.
Edited by Cimmerian, Apr 17 2018, 12:31 PM.

peebeep
Member Avatar
resin fondler
Del, that's a good way to do it if you're using non-stretchy monofilament, but a lot of extra work if you're using elastic thread. The Wallace wings in the picture above were one piece, the thought alone of all that making good by drilling all the way through is enough to make me lose the will to live. As it is, drilling all the pilot holes came close.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Not so bad Paul as the CA and hardener would go a long way to concealing the holes. Not my cup of tea as I've never built a bi-plane but if I did it would be a Wingnut Wings kit and I cannot afford them so I'll take a rain check. Oh and not forgetting they have whirly things at the front. :whistle :rolf

DevilFish
Member Avatar
I have tried the "stretching it between the points" method in the past and it ended disastrously! CA doesn't dry quick enough, or too quick. Things stick to the wrong things, and the "stretch" relaxes....

I'll stick with pulling it through holes. I just have to figure out how to do it the wrong way around, as the top wing decals aren't on yet....

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
You could try thin gauge wire and the holes wouldn't have to be deep.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Modelling Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: